Will Chael be the first to take Jones down?

Chael has inferior technique and less strength in terms of takedowns and TDD.

So, no.

Jones will probably circle around him and slowly tear him apart (like what he did to Rampage, although defending against takedowns instead of hay makers primarily), and then time him out and take him down to submit him (since Sonnen is very prone to submissions).

He has the best chance of anyone aside from Cain/Cormier. He'll also push the pace much more than Rashad, Bader, etc. I wouldn't be shocked to see Chael take him down, but I don't think he'll have success in that area as a whole, and I don't think if he does get him down he'll keep him there long. Really no path to victory for Chael in this fight.

Chael has a chance in this fight and I know it's slim at best,but stranger things have happened in the cage.

LOL no....chael is gonna get ragdolled.

This.

He is to small for LHW, and especially Jon Jones. He's "extra bulk" will only have a negative effect on his conditioning. Which is a key to his aggressive style.

Chael has a chance in this fight and I know it's slim at best,but stranger things have happened in the cage.

His only chance is being on top while Jones makes a mistake, like Stann and his arm.

Chael took down every single opponent he has ever faced in the UFC. Jones has a 100% TDD rate. The unstoppable force vs The immovable object.

sonnen is hardly an unstoppable force - if he was he'd never have moved to mw in the 1st place

I think Chael will take JJ down, but Chael also took Maia down and fought like hell to get back up. He faces a similar dilemma against Jones - does he really want to roll around with a guy who has the most submissions at LHW.

Chael has inferior technique and less strength in terms of takedowns and TDD.

So, no.

Jones will probably circle around him and slowly tear him apart (like what he did to Rampage, although defending against takedowns instead of hay makers primarily), and then time him out and take him down to submit him (since Sonnen is very prone to submissions).

Wtf?

Inferior technique?

That's a silly comment to make. If anything Chael's wrestling technique is better than Jones' on a technical level. Now, whether that will be enough to beat Jones' strength and athleticism, we will see.

Jones has being pretty immune to doubles. Some may call me crazy, but I still think that Jones might show off pulling guard.

He's weird enough to do it for shits and giggles. I actually wouldn't be surprised tried to show off submission attempts off his back.

Maybe, but I doubt he will be able to keep him there for long.

are you kidding? that was a grappling clinic par excellence.

Sonnen has a great top game. For sure. But Stann isn't really that slick bjj wizard from his back.

I think Jones would be able to scramble to a more neutral position, pretty quick, if he got on his back.

Jones has being pretty immune to doubles. Some may call me crazy, but I still think that Jones might show off pulling guard.

That's not crazy. It's actually a tad predictable. He pulled guard on Rashad and tried a flying triangle leading to guard on rampage.

Jones is the type to prove a point.

[QUOTE="Rush";78559659]He didnt take Maia down. Is that another worthless stat provided by the UFC like the Bisping one (he hasnt taken done around 7 of his opponents).

I don't think he'll take Jones down. Jones will take Sonnen down though.[/QUOTE]

Indeed he did not.

Maia is such a beast.

Im starting to sound like a broken record here before each of Jones fights, but Chael will do nothing and everyone will again witness how easy this is for Jones.

No, along with being a phenomenal athlete, Jones is incredibly smart as well. he knows his opponent's strengths, and any possible weakness he may have in a fight. On top of that, he trains with Jackson. I have no doubt in my mind that he has been training his wrestling relentlessly.

Back