Will Cerrone win his second fight in 2015 and we haven

The first Cerrone/Henderson fight was very close and very technical. Let's forget about the guillotine in the second for the time being. I'm hoping - praying - that Cowboy takes this one because although Bendo is a good interview and comes across as a nice guy, I really dislike the way he fights. The Illuminati triangle, the Jesus'ing, the way he tucks his one lock behind his ear and looks really earnest before the round starts, his massive unproportionate legs, his sometimes boring lay n' pray style ("laying on top of you like a punk-ass bitch) and the way he eeks out close decisions in his favor (he is like a more technical, more boring Diego Sanchez in that regard).

Cowboy is my (everyone's?) idea of a fighter's fighter: will throw down with anyone, anywhere at the drop of a hat (especially a cowboy hat). He's a wild man in private, heartbreakingly honest in interviews, starts slow (like an underdog) but then locks in and starts walking his prey down, punishing with awesome kicks (even fuck you kicks, when he feels like it).

Anyway, just spent 6 hours last night crafting a highlight tribute video for Cowboy, so I guess I'm biased.

Nice work on the HL reminds of a different time.

I don't think we can take a ton from those first fights. Cerrone's guard was good then, it's really become elite since. With all the excellent grapplers in MMA, Cerrone is at the point now where he's on a very short list of guys that you don't want to be in their guard. His aggressiveness with subs, sweeps, fluidity and transitions are exceptional.

Bendo is known for having a great base and sub defense, but Pettis caught him and while he's the better overall fighter, Cerrone is better off his back than Pettis.

Plus Cerrone has better tdd now. Not amazing, but better. I think this fight stays standing more than it's on the mat. The big wild card to me is how much these guys like each other. It's genuine, and I think it actually favors Bendo. The reason being he's a grinder, not a guy who looks for brutal finishes like Cerrone. It's harder to follow up with big shots after you've hurt a guy if he's your friend. It's not harder to try to just control him for 15 minutes.

After seeing Pettis sub Henderson and Melendez it's way too much of an assumption to say cerrone is better off his back. He just might be but we don't really know.

I don't think we can take a ton from those first fights. Cerrone's guard was good then, it's really become elite since. With all the excellent grapplers in MMA, Cerrone is at the point now where he's on a very short list of guys that you don't want to be in their guard. His aggressiveness with subs, sweeps, fluidity and transitions are exceptional.

Bendo is known for having a great base and sub defense, but Pettis caught him and while he's the better overall fighter, Cerrone is better off his back than Pettis.

Plus Cerrone has better tdd now. Not amazing, but better. I think this fight stays standing more than it's on the mat. The big wild card to me is how much these guys like each other. It's genuine, and I think it actually favors Bendo. The reason being he's a grinder, not a guy who looks for brutal finishes like Cerrone. It's harder to follow up with big shots after you've hurt a guy if he's your friend. It's not harder to try to just control him for 15 minutes.

Good points. Bendo's grappling has improved since then too. But yeah, we're in for a fight tonight, no doubt.

Back