Will bulking up too much affect my cardio

SleepyThirsty

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I use to wrestle between 145-171 in HS and 157-174 in college when it came to wrestling. In Highschool my cardio was best at 145-152 but at 160 I had the best explosion, 171 was pure brute strength.

I'm gradually putting on weight but I decided that instead of going down weight I might be better bulking up, with a new season we'll get new team mates. I want to bulk from my normal 167lb weight with 10% BF to 182ish and maintain my BF. I'm wondering will my cardio be effected too much from the muscle mass? I hate cardio due to my asthma but I'm sprinting and running more to get use to having more weight on my body, I really need to grapple though.

However instead of shooting doubles and tiring myself out, next year I'm hoping to use to collar tie more and wrestling a more explosive style but when closed up, I'm going balls out this year for either a hit or miss when it comes to throws instead of being passive considering I'm going to be a smaller 184/174 at 5'8-9.

Any idea on how to put on weight while now having my cardio go to hell? I'm going to roll around live eventually but besides that and running any tips?

It would help if you told us your previous strength training experience, current routine, etc.

There's really no training at the moment besides some daily runs. I'm at the moment doing 3x10 dips, 4x10 pull ups, 3x10 Chinups, 5x10 Ab leg lifts, and some on and off bicep and tricep exercises. I'm not completely bulking up yet, but I can put on and drop weight fast.

In the past I just did routines with an emphasis on explosion such as box jumps, power cleans, dead lifts, bench, and push press.

You could probably get good gains on Starting Strength, since you are new/coming off a layoff to compound/full-body lifts like squatting, deadlifting, etc. To try to answer your original question, rapid weight gain will require some amount of bodyfat accumulation. It will probably be easier for you to bulk up quickly to several pounds over your target weight, then shed the excess fat later. If you don't want your conditioning to go to shit during this phase, it would be best to practice wrestling once or twice a week because conditioning is very sport-specific. If you can't wrestle until the season starts, throw in some cardio on days you aren't lifting. But focus first on strength/weight gain and then worry about conditioning closer to the season.

On a side note, I am also a wrestler.

Last edited:
just monitor your training, set a benchmark by running a mile, doing a certain amount of burpees or whatever, keep tabs on your heart rate and see how the extra mass affects your cardio...if your heart rate is constantly increasing, you obviously need to push your cardio a bit to keep up with your previous numbers

make sure you keep a journal with all your notes, including resting heart rate and HR after your benchmark test and what you weigh at the time

Back