Will Biden be able to restore our relations with China?

Regardless of party, US- China tensions are going to escalate in the future. Trump might have been more aggressive than what a Biden administration does but I think you’ll still see measures taken against China other than tariffs. The fact is they are a rising economic power and aren’t conforming completely to the international norms the US put in place. That’s going to cause friction for the time being.

hiya Natural Order,

i admit that relations with China probably won't be as warm as they've been under President Trump.

Mr. Bolton’s unsparing account reveals transgressions that not only break norms, but also could increase the risks to U.S. national security: Mr. Trump intervening to end sanctions against a Chinese technology company as a favor to Mr. Xi; offering to end a Justice Department case against a Huawei executive in exchange for trade concessions; and “pleading with Xi to ensure” China would make American farm product purchases to help Mr. Trump win re-election, as Mr. Bolton put it.

“Make sure I win,” Mr. Trump told Mr. Xi, according to unredacted pages seen by Vanity Fair.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/18/us/politics/trump-china-bolton.html

i know, i know, its strange to see a US POTUS doing so many favors for China...but, what are ya gonna do? as President Trump said of Xi, "we love each other".

things can only go down from here. A google search would have shown you that even CNN reported

*mourns*

- IGIT

John Bolton is unhappy that he got fired, that's all. A simple search would have shown you the even CNN reported "New sanctions deal 'lethal blow' to Huawei. China decries US bullying"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/17/tech/huawei-us-sanctions-hnk-intl/index.html

CNBC reported "China’s Huawei smartphone shipments plunge as U.S. sanctions continue to bite"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/30/hua...-plunge-as-us-sanctions-continue-to-bite.html

Last edited:
We'll see...
But I don't think that either Kamala or Biden are who you want opposing China.

Regardless of party, US- China tensions are going to escalate in the future. Trump might have been more aggressive than what a Biden administration does but I think you’ll still see measures taken against China other than tariffs. The fact is they are a rising economic power and aren’t conforming completely to the international norms the US put in place. That’s going to cause friction for the time being.

I disagree.

A Biden presidency will fawn over the CCP to "de-escalate" what Trump did.

The CCP practically owned the Obama admin.

What happened to the 7th fleet under Obama and the south China sea?

The Obama admin knew what Chinas ambitions were, most of south east asia was crying for help since the early 2000's.

hey there KeepingItReal,

John Bolton is unhappy that he got fired, that's all.

well, of course he was! John Bolton as national security adviser was good news for America’s allies and bad news for America’s enemies (those aren't my words, they are Lindsey Grahams). someone like that is surely going to be unhappy being dispatched from his work.

A simple search would have shown you the even CNN reported "New sanctions deal 'lethal blow' to Huawei. China decries US bullying"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/17/tech/huawei-us-sanctions-hnk-intl/index.html

CNBC reported "China’s Huawei smartphone shipments plunge as U.S. sanctions continue to bite"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/30/hua...-plunge-as-us-sanctions-continue-to-bite.html

yup. solid move, too!

Huawei is already the biggest global supplier of networking equipment and is now likely to move toward making all components domestically. China already has a policy seeking technological independence by 2025.
https://phys.org/news/2019-05-sanctions-huawei.html

over 50,000 US tech jobs are tied to Chinese exports...lol. i guess we don't need those jobs anymore.

just like US soybean farmers may find themselves SOL since the Chinese discovered they could get their soybeans from Brazil instead.

i leave you with this; President Trump said that he and Xi, "Love one another".:oops:

Mr. Biden is going to be hard pressed to recreate the of degree of mutual affection that Mr. Trump achieved.

- IGIT

Last edited:
I'll give credit where credit is due: Trump not taking any of China's shit was good.

I suspect we'll see more of it as the world pivots on that axis.

LOL @ not understanding that Joe Biden will be offering his anus to China on Monday.

Xi about to play sock puppet for four agonizing years with American interest.
Well Trumps trade war was a massive failure. From his bullshit about China paying the tariffs, to a 14 year high trade deficit and spending billions to bail out folks from the economic fallout.

Maybe try to repair relations with allies and form a united front against China?

hey there KeepingItReal,

well, of course he was! John Bolton as national security adviser was good news for America’s allies and bad news for America’s enemies (those aren't my words, they are Lindsey Grahams). someone like that is surely going to be unhappy being dispatched from his work.

yup. solid move, too!

Huawei is already the biggest global supplier of networking equipment and is now likely to move toward making all components domestically. China already has a policy seeking technological independence by 2025.
https://phys.org/news/2019-05-sanctions-huawei.html

over 50,000 US tech jobs are tired to Chinese exports...lol. i guess we don't need those jobs anymore.

just like US soybean farmers may find themselves SOL since the Chinese discovered they could get their soybeans from Brazil instead.

i leave you with this; President Trump said that he and Xi, "Love one another".

Mr. Biden is going to be hard pressed to recreate the of degree of mutual affection that Mr. Trump achieved.

- IGIT

John Bolton served his purpose but he was too bomb happy. Donald Trump believes in deterrents, not necessarily being as bomb happy John Bolton.

The farming industry has the problem of perverse incentives(subsidies) in the USA, clearly there needs to be a shift from Soybeans to other crops. The good thing about trying to shift from Soybean to something else is, that soybeans are an annual crop so unlike perennial crops don't need to be cut down in order to plant something else next year. I can think of any number of crops that would work long term but would need some support in the short term. A few are Figs, American Persimmons, Medlar, Apricots, Cherries etc. I picked the ones that usually cost the most at the market because those are the ones that will pay the most to the farmer. Specialty crops are best because "commodity" crops are so ubiquitous that it brings the price down.

"over 50,000 US tech jobs are tired to Chinese exports"

I don't know what you mean by that.

"President Trump said that he and Xi, "Love one another"."

If that is the most outrageous thing you can find him saying that isn't even anything worth mentioning. It's something Trump does, he does one thing but says another. He puts sanctions, tarrifs etc. But then says we love each other. Or he will do a deal where he tries to get 95% percent of the deal, and when he gets 55%(still the better end) of the deal, then he praises his opponent saying "Man he really took me to the cleaners!" That's just how he does deals, he gets the better end of the deal then he praises who he got the better of in the deal, because he knows he might have to deal with him again later down the line.

Xi has been consolidating his personal power, while ramping up authoritarianism and aggressive nationalism.
That's despite the negative impact on their economy.
I don't think there'll be progress with China until Xi and his faction are outed, but since they removed term limits and are consolidating power, there's no obvious timeline there.

A Biden presidency will fawn over the CCP to "de-escalate" what Trump did.

You mean he'll try to regain the trust of his allies and work with them against China?

You mean he'll regain US' influence over the UN instead of letting China control the WHO like Trump did?

Well I sure hope so.

Well Trumps trade war was a massive failure. From his bullshit about China paying the tariffs, to a 14 year high trade deficit and spending billions to bail out folks from the economic fallout.

Maybe try to repair relations with allies and form a united front against China?

As long as Trump keeps mentioning China, tariffs and China-virus during his press conferences, his supporters think Trump is going tough on China. These guys are truly that superficial.

China doesn't need to be our enemy.

Why do so many people want more war?

Let's focus on Americans and maintain good relationships abroad.

A rare american without China Derangment Syndrome here explains it:

China has never antagonized the US either, their only sin is that they are moving up the value chain, they have an edge in several sectors now and they are projected to overtake US economy relatively soon. As one of the comments put it: ''The U.S. always creates a boogeyman when it has internal problems. It works wonders for rallying the sheep.''.

Xi has been consolidating his personal power, while ramping up authoritarianism and aggressive nationalism.
That's despite the negative impact on their economy.
I don't think there'll be progress with China until Xi and his faction are outed, but since they removed term limits and are consolidating power, there's no obvious timeline there.

''Negative impact on their economy''? Wut. They more than doubled their GDP in the last decade, which is an outstanding feat; and Xi became chairman in 2013.

The only good thing he could do would launch a few missiles on Beijing
Its still time to kill the giant and loot his pocket.
Better do it now than too late.

China doesnt need to be our enemy yet they choose to be. Why do so many people want to bow down and accept defeat without a fight?

Can you explain that in further detail? Our deregulated economy which sells itself out to the highest bidder did a lot of damage to working Americans but should we really be blaming China for that? All of the policies that the right-wing says are fundamental parts of capitalism are responsible for what is happening. Ironically, we'd have to give government a much bigger role like China has to prevent other countries from doing "taking" jobs. This is why I'm a capitalist but for much more regulation.

I'm more of a hate the game not the player type of person.

USA is responsible for overthrowing democracies across the world yet all you hear in the media is how other nations try to interfere with ours. Why do we keep turning a blind eye to our own atrocities but create a boogeyman? I suppose I just answered my own question though.

I'm just tired of all the anti-China rhetoric, its really not going to get us anywhere. Especially when we don't have a livable wage, universal healthcare, lower tuition costs, paid maturnity leave, etc.

A rare american without China Derangment Syndrome here explains it:

China has never antagonized the US either, their only sin is that they are moving up the value chain, they have an edge in several sectors now and they are projected to overtake US economy relatively soon. As one of the comments put it: ''The U.S. always creates a boogeyman when it has internal problems. It works wonders for rallying the sheep.''.

The US economy needs wars. Thats why america is always on war, its economy need it to be somehow effective.

Trying to de-couple America from China was probably the best thing Trump did in 4 years. It is frustrating to see the left openly embracing China to spite Trump. This is literally throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

We are at war with China. Nobody seems to understand that.

Yeah, harming relationships with the West (as if USA could take on China alone) and putting tariffs on American taxpayers will sure show them whos boss. There's a reason that plenty of Chinese people supported another four years of Trump presidency. They knew his policies would accelerate the decline of the USA. Trump is a conman. He is all bark no bite and way too many people fell for it.

Look at some of the comments here from regular citizens. Quite a few of them acknowledge that Trump has helped China

Here's a youtuber who knows his stuff about China and gives his commentary on the same thing.

hello there KeepinItReal,

John Bolton served his purpose but he was too bomb happy. Donald Trump believes in deterrents, not necessarily being as bomb happy John Bolton.

John Bolton served his purpose? lol, what precisely was his purpose? i mean, you're suggesting that Mr. Bolton's brief tenure as a saber rattling NSA advisor was planned? please tell me what was achieved?

my point in bringing up Mr. Bolton was merely to indicate that Mr. Trump's China policy ("policy" is probably too generous a term) was to provide you with some insight into Donald's methodology; his primary concern was how Xi could help Mr. Trump's electoral chances in 2020 (alas).

The farming industry has the problem of perverse incentives(subsidies) in the USA, clearly there needs to be a shift from Soybeans to other crops. The good thing about trying to shift from Soybean to something else is, that soybeans are an annual crop so unlike perennial crops don't need to be cut down in order to plant something else next year. I can think of any number of crops that would work long term but would need some support in the short term. A few are Figs, American Persimmons, Medlar, Apricots, Cherries etc. I picked the ones that usually cost the most at the market because those are the ones that will pay the most to the farmer. Specialty crops are best because "commodity" crops are so ubiquitous that it brings the price down.

that's all very nice, but it doesn't have alot to do with why US farmers will be very unhappy if Mr. Biden can't arrest the downward spiral in US/Sino relations; farmers won't have access to China's 1.4 billion mouths that need feeding. it doesn't matter if farmers grow soybeans or...ummm...Mespilus germanica.

the type of crop grown isn't the issue; its losing the Chinese market that farmers are kvetching about.

"over 50,000 US tech jobs are tired to Chinese exports"

I don't know what you mean by that.

it means that over 50,000 US tech jobs are tied to China's exports.

"President Trump said that he and Xi, "Love one another"."

If that is the most outrageous thing you can find him saying that isn't even anything worth mentioning. It's something Trump does, he does one thing but says another.

so you're saying that when President Trump says something, he doesn't mean it.

gotcha.

interesting way to conduct foreign policy.

He puts sanctions, tarrifs etc. But then says we love each other. Or he will do a deal where he tries to get 95% percent of the deal, and when he gets 55%(still the better end) of the deal, then he praises his opponent saying "Man he really took me to the cleaners!" That's just how he does deals, he gets the better end of the deal then he praises who he got the better of in the deal, because he knows he might have to deal with him again later down the line.

if nothing else, i think its great that you were able to use the word "deal" so many times.

the main results of the Trump administration's trade war with China is US exports have been kneecapped, and US consumers faced raised prices due to the POTUS' tariffs.

- IGIT

Last edited:
Where in the hell does this exaggeration come from?
You righties are a bunch of hacks

I'm center by the way

sure he stutters but he's not going through full on dementia like you say ....not yet at least
dont try fact or logic on right-wingers. They are immune!

''Negative impact on their economy''? Wut. They more than doubled their GDP in the last decade, which is an outstanding feat; and Xi became chairman in 2013.

Their economic growth slowed down massively.

0-China-economy-18-11-2019.jpg

Xi Yinping's economic response hasn't been to loosen the reigns on their State controlled capitalism with it's heavy cronyism, it's been to double down and respond with aggression.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back