Will an Asian fighter ever hold a championship belt?

Of Course Asians will win belts in the UFC, unless all the best asians will only be fighting in different organizations.

It depends how popular MMA becomes in Asian countries. Japan is still one of the best boxing, wrestling and (obviously) judo countries in the world so there is obviously the combat sports talent, it's just the actual popularity of MMA doesn't draw the athletes, it would seem.

Gomi was Pride lw champ when Pride was bigger than ufc. For ufc, in the next 1000 years I'm sure there will be one, in the next 100 year I'm not so sure. If it happens it will be a Korean at a lower weight class.

No it's not. It's genetics...

I think both you and I know this is not true. Khabib is from a country that is geographically located in Asia, but genetically, he's not Asian (as in East/South East Asian). It's Caucasian mixed with middle eastern.

They are of mixed races. But be honest here, how come guys like Dodson is super athletic and explosive?

Um, not he is not... Please stop making things up... Browne is half native Hawaiian and half Caucasian.

You'll know the answer to this question by asking similar questions such as, "how come there aren't many good Asian NBA players, NFL players, etc...?"

It is very unlikely that an unmixed Asian American will become UFC champ. Believe it or not, muscle fiber density, bone density, hormone levels, etc., are controlled by genetics, and believe it or not, humans are not created the same or equal, even within the same race or even the same family.

Dude, your views on race are from the 1960's. There's no such thing as pure race anything. In the 1200's, Ghengis Khan and his armies conquered the shit out of all of modern day Eastern Europe, the 'stans and parts of the Middle East. Partial Asian features can be seen in those peoples to this day.

Majority of African Americans today are partial mixed race "white" just in the previous 10 generations. The term "Black" is a social construct. Hell, Obama is considered "Black" even though he's literally at least half "white."

And many people consider Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders Asian. If you go back far enough, they're a mix of African and Asian genetics.

Europeans and Asians have been traveling to foreign lands by ship for almost 1000 years. When in port, sailors tend to f*ck anything that moves, a proud tradition that continues to this day.

Phenotype (how someone looks) is not the same as Genotype (genetics). Some people look more like their father and some like their mother, and some look like their great great grandfather.

Everyone today is mixed race something if you go back far enough.

Last edited:
Dude, your views on race are from the 1960's. There's no such thing as pure race anything. In the 1200's, Ghengis Khan and his armies conquered the shit out of all of modern day Eastern Europe, the 'stans and parts of the Middle East. Partial Asian features can be seen in those peoples to this day.

Majority of African Americans today are partial mixed race "white" just in the previous 10 generations. The term "Black" is a social construct. Hell, Obama is considered "Black" even though he's literally at least half "white."

And many people consider Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders Asian. If you go back far enough, they're a mix of African and Asian genetics.

Phenotype (how someone looks) is not the same as Genotype (genetics). Some people look more like their father and some like their mother, and some look like their great great grandfather.

Everyone today is mixed race something if you go back far enough.

"If we go back far enough" everyone is evolved from a common ancestor, lol!

That's not what being talked about here, and you know it. We're talking about racial differences in modern day people from different parts of the world that give them different advantages in different areas.

Not now, even for the lighter weight classes

His mom is Portuguese. And people are referring to 100% Asians, not Eurasians or Afro-Asians.

What does being brought up by an Asian mother has anything to do with his explosiveness and athletic ability?

lol

maybe an american born and raised asian that takes up the sport, otherwise i cant see it happening anytime soon.

How come there are so many mixed race champions?

They are all coincidentally mixed between Asian and another. Though, judging from these posts in this thread, you'd think that being partially Asian was an almost insurmountable deficiency that they overcome purely because of their other, genetically superior, half.

Within five years we might have a few contenders as far as actually winning the tittle, who knows might not be for a long time.

Last edited:
Dagestan should be considered Asia.

At what weight class?
Women or men?

Culture? LOL! Go take biology classes such as human physiology and genetics...

You must think all humans are created equal...

my human phys and genetics classes never talked about racial differences in athletics haha. i mean sure, we dabbled in how that certain tribe in kenya has ideal bodies and high VO2max perfect for marathon running.

Asian countries won several medals in men's wrestling, and a few golds in mens oly weightlifting in the 2012 olympics.

"If we go back far enough" everyone is evolved from a common ancestor, lol!

That's not what being talked about here, and you know it. We're talking about racial differences in modern day people from different parts of the world that give them different advantages in different areas.

10 generations too much for you? How about 1? My point is that people like Obama, Travis Browne, Dodson, et al that are literally half "something" and half "something else" from the previous generation are categorized more on how they look than what they are genetically.

Race is a complex thing and you know that. Of course different backgrounds tend to have different characteristics. But I'd cite guys like Kid, Gomi and the many many Asian Olympic medalists in wrestling, Judo and powerlifting as evidence that a fair amount of Asians have explosiveness and strength, so ethnicity is not the limiting factor for MMA.

Did this actually come from some African ancestor 30 generations ago? Who the fuck knows. But those guys look "Asian" so they must be "Asian."

Genetic differences aside (which can't be ignored), culture has a very large impact.

Last edited:
10 generations too much for you? How about 1? My point is that people like Obama, Travis Browne, Dodson, et al that are literally half "something" and half "something else" from the previous generation are categorized more on how they look than what they are genetically.

Race is a complex thing and you know that. Of course different backgrounds tend to have different characteristics. But I'd cite guys like Kid, Gomi and the many many Asian Olympic medalists in wrestling, Judo and powerlifting as evidence that a fair amount of Asians have explosiveness and strength, so ethnicity is not the limiting factor here.

I never said there are no athletic and explosive Asians. There are.
Here is one of the most athletic and explosive Asians in combat sport:

[YT]XGRUjR66LCs[/YT]

[YT]yrU6MJ7XJvA[/YT]

However, athletic and explosive ones are in the minority.

Did this actually come from some African ancestor 30 generations ago? Who the fuck knows. But those guys look "Asian" so they must be "Asian."

Genetic differences aside (which can't be ignored), culture has a very large impact.

Yeah, culture has a huge impact, no doubt.

[YT]XGRUjR66LCs[/YT]

[YT]yrU6MJ7XJvA[/YT]

Agree but to be fair, that's true for all races. There's a whole lot more 350 lbs white, black and hispanic neckbeards than there are elite athletes of any race. I think the relative rarity of explosive strength athletes among Asians is at least as much (and probably much more) due to culture and local diet as it is genetic differences.

Re. MMA, Japan definitely has the infrastructure and history, but I just don't think it's very popular there anymore. Japan (and I think most Asian cultures) are very status conscious and Jiu jitsu (with ties to MMA) has been considered a "low class" sport since the 19th century. Judo even forbade competitors to do MMA.

Hell thinking about it more, Ninja Warrior is a competition tailor made for explosive 5' 4" Japanese fishermen that weigh 130 lbs. It requires strength, agility and explosiveness and is so insane and goofy that Olympic wrestlers and gymnasts have gone on and can't even make it past the first stage. 30 seasons in, the only competitors to ever finish the course are still only tiny Japanese dudes. You can't tell me those dudes, or the many other Asians like them, couldn't perhaps have been elite in FLW or BW MMA if they had trained for that instead.

Last edited:

[YT]XGRUjR66LCs[/YT]

[YT]yrU6MJ7XJvA[/YT]

Buakaw is explosive as hell. Look how dark he is lol.

Ok i get what mmaart is trying to say. East asians arent that good at mma or sports that require lots of strength, explosion and muscle fibers. Its a fact that asians arent as naturally athletic as blacks or whites. But neither are mexicans.

People need to remember that asia is mostly really poor and dont really do Mma. Only japan and korea have real mma fighters. Thats because they are developed nations. Relying on 2 countries in asia to capture ufc gold is really hard. Thats like asking how come england and france havent produced UFC champs.
Add to that, asian americans arent all aiming to play sports as much because they excel at school.

Just look at the black population in america and look at the % of nba and nfl players. Its like 90% blacks.

Also they arent THE best, but there have been full asians in every major sport in america. Nba, nfl and mlb.

It doesnt mean that one race can do what another race cant. Some races excel at things and other races do at others.

It just irks me that it seems like it is Ok to say asians arent good at sports because they are weaker and smaller. But it isnt OK to say blacks are dumber because studies have shown their intelligence is lower. I mean if you look at the asian population in america (5%) vs black populaion (13%), then look at the amount of doctors, engineers, lawyers, on top of that, test scores all around from grade school to high school asians are WAAAY smarter. But that doesnt mean blacks cant be smart. Sorry for the rant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back