Will an Asian fighter ever hold a championship belt?

painvelasquez

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I've been quite disappointed that the part of the world with the most people is sorely underrepresented in the UFC. It is literally 3/5s of the world but 1/10th if not less of the professional fighters.

Is there anyone with the potential to be a belt holder in ANY division from anywhere on the Asian land mass? What happened to all the fighters from Pride days of yore? Is Sakuraba the last we'll ever see?

Ever is a very long time. So it's possible eventually.

But I don't see it happening anytime soon though.

I don't think so. Not in the near future, anyway, unless Doo Ho Choi ends up going on the warpath, like I'm hoping he will :D

Nah. Not enough good grappling/wrestling programs for them. A lot of them are still training in traditional martial arts, and the ones with elite stand up, lack in the grappling department, and the ones that are elite at grappling, severely lack in the striking department.

Penn and Ben Henderson are both half Korean. Machida is half Japanese. Lawler is part Filipino.

Doo Ho might have a good chance at it.

It's a possibility if more of them start going to places like Brazil, US, and Canada to train.

Bendo is half Asian. thats as close as were gonna get

Robbie Lawler is the sitting WW champion

Either Horiguchi or DHK are the pound for pound best Asian fighter.

I don't see either of them winning a title anytime soon.

I knew he was mixed with something. The guy does look a little exotic.

You might see in the far future. But they are going to have to come to the states and learn effective wrestling. And take what they learned in the states. And apply to there own training.

Horiguchi has the potential whenever Mighty Mouse decides he's done with the division. He's still one of the youngest in the division with a lot of upside. We'll see how KZ looks when he gets back because he'll have had two years to heal up and train just on technique (since he has an office job he's been able to live at home and train after work). Bigger issue than talent imo is Asian camps not really evolving with the sport.

horiguchi was fast-tracked, i think with more time he could have a decent shot.

looked like MM didn't really want anything to do with him on the feet.

Penn and Ben Henderson are both half Korean. Machida is half Japanese. Lawler is part Filipino.

Penn is a quarter Korean, just ftr.

Horiguchi, or even Dong now that GSP is gone are possible, but unlikely chances.

What about doo ho Choi? That guy has a lot of potential.

Sakuraba and Sakurai were once top of the P4P charts. Funaki was great in his day. Gomi and Kawajiri were elite in their prime. It will happen, I'm sure. The contemporary MMA landscape will shift. It always does.

Yes, and it will happen at a smaller weight class like FlyW or BW. It may also be someone whom is predominantly doing their training in America (not that say Japan has bad training, but they have a different mentality. In Japan you are just a big a star for fighting and going out on your shield as you are for winning. In the USA, you need to win).

Back