Will an ankle lock break the ankle?

so the consensus seems to be a lot of damage to the ligaments and tendons, but probably not break an actual bone... sounds about right as jiujitsu attacks a lot of joints and joints aren't the actual bone so you don't actually break arms and such with armlocks.

however normally if you tear a ligament it pulls off a little chip of bone where it attaches... so is that considered a break? i guess not

so the consensus seems to be a lot of damage to the ligaments and tendons, but probably not break an actual bone... sounds about right as jiujitsu attacks a lot of joints and joints aren't the actual bone so you don't actually break arms and such with armlocks.

That seems to be about right. I didn't phrase the thread quite right. I had really wanted to know whether it was a pain submission or if it actually did damage. Mainly because of a comment Bas makes while watching a fight and seeing someone tap to the hold.

as far as i know, an ankle lock does to the ankle what a heel hook does to the knee, just a ligament tear, which are often more harmful than bones breaking

hmmm foot/toe holds are good when your tired and want to end the roll

the "only pain" thing is true for achillies holds, but not ankle locks. there is a lot of confusion over this. the achillies will hurt and feel really wierd while it is being compressed, but after you let go it stops hurting instantly..... not ture with torn ligaments etc.

the "only pain" thing is true for achillies holds, but not ankle locks. there is a lot of confusion over this. the achillies will hurt and feel really wierd while it is being compressed, but after you let go it stops hurting instantly..... not ture with torn ligaments etc.

To me, an ankle lock and an achilles lock are the same thing, and while it may not break the ankle, it will injure a lot of ligaments and eventually break the instep. A poorly done achilles lock causes pain. A well done one will leave you in a cast if you dont tap out. The rule is, if it hurts, something is being damaged.

I thought this was common knowledge among grapplers. Seriously, can anyone 3 submissions that actually break bone?

this myth has got to stop.

I've had teammates injured for weeks/months because of this "pain only" submission.

Will an ankle lock (not any type of heel hook) break the ankle. I've heard it's just a pain submission, but I was also rolling one time and didn't tap. My ankle popped several times and my friend let go. It didn't hurt right away but the next morning I woke up and it was swollen for about two weeks. If he had kept cranking would it have broken or was that about the extent of the damage. Opinions? Examples?

Ahahahahahah!!!

Sorry, but i dont know who came up with the idea of an Achilles hold being benign. If its done properly it will pop the ligaments that hold together your foot to your fibula and tibia, as well as the small bones in your foot.

Dont be stupid, if youre in doubt tap, unless yo want to be crippled all your life.

If you do it right it can break the foot, tear up the tendons on the top of the foot, or maybe dislocate the ankle.

If you do it wrong it kind of hurts the calf a little bit and you might get a bruise, a LOT of people use/teach the move incorrectly and this is where the "pain only" myth comes from.

I've heard it's just a pain submission

Considering the fact that pain is body's way of telling the brain that there is something bad happening, there are no "just pain submissions".

Back