Will a gi/kimono continually shrink in the wash?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by DemonicXSS, Jun 29, 2010.

1. DemonicXSS

DemonicXSS White Belt

I recently bought a blue Fuji Koral kimono for bjj, and it fits perfectly. It's also supposed to have come preshrunk. But if I wash it in hot water and dry it in the dryer, will it shrink? And will it shrink every time I wash it in hot water? Thanks in advance.

2. acsubie**

acsubie** Orange Belt

yes it will continue to shrink if washed in hot and placed in dryer. Shrink to fit using hot and dryer, then cold water and hang dry

3. ohmalley

ohmalley Blue Belt

i'm not sure what a fuji koral gi is (unless you meant fuji kassen) -- fuji and koral are 2 different brands. in any event, the original fuji bjj gi (NOT the kassen) is notorious for continuing to shrink. once you get it to the size you want, wash in cold and hang dry only! i had an a2 once -- over the coarse of 6mos it went from too big to way too small (this was before i knew how to properly care for a gi).

not sure if the kassen is the same way but i wouldn't risk it. general rule of thumb: always assume a gi will continue to shrink if you put in the dryer. get it to the size you want and then wash cold/hang dry.

it's true that some gis hit a stopping point or shrink very little to begin with, but frankly i never risk it. best just to hang dry.

cheers!
    -kevin

4. DemonicXSS

DemonicXSS White Belt

Thanks for the help. And sorry, I did mean Fuji Kassen, not Fuji Koral. And lastly, is it okay to air dry it in the dryer?

5. Roflolfish

Roflolfish Yellow Belt

idk i also have a fuji gi, and i think it shrunk all it would have in one wash, maybe it is because i put it on full blast heat, also same with my sirius.

btw its kinda off topic but, after i wash a pair of jeans, they seem tighter on first wear after wash, then when after a lil wear it loosens up, happens after every wash for me.

6. ohmalley

ohmalley Blue Belt

yeah that should be fine. just don't use any heat! the nice thing about cold air cycles ina dryer is that your gi will ge nice and soft when you put it on. hang drying leave them a little stiff and scratchy. it's nothing a good shake or two and 5 minutes of stretching won't loosen up, but still.