Will a fighter reach 10+ consecutive title defenses again?

Maybe not close decision but he had to come back from behind to win. He got beat up for 24 minutes against Chael. That's worse than the 2 close decisions.

I also think there are more killers on Jones' record there. Leites, Cote, Lutter, Irvin and Bonnar are ok wins but Jones' are all pure killers. Also you say Anderson was 16-0 in the UFC but when you think about it, Jones is 21-0 so far.
Yeah, Jones and GSP fought the toughest competition on average.

I think it might happen some day, but in general it'll become more unlikely, since the skill level increases more and more; if you look at the lightweight division for example, there's really no one who's particularly bad at something, the fighters are very well rounded.
The biggest chance to get 10 TD's has in my opinion someone like Khabib, since a wrestler participates in less striking exchanges, thus decreasing the chance of getting caught, which even happens to the best strikers, especially with the small MMA-gloves.

Maybe not close decision but he had to come back from behind to win. He got beat up for 24 minutes against Chael. That's worse than the 2 close decisions.

I also think there are more killers on Jones' record there. Leites, Cote, Lutter, Irvin and Bonnar are ok wins but Jones' are all pure killers. Also you say Anderson was 16-0 in the UFC but when you think about it, Jones is 21-0 so far.

Jones is 27-0 not 21-0 lol.
I agree with you that Jones beat better fighters than Spider (he beat more UFC champions and great prospects).
I scored 48-47 for Jon in both fights against Gustafsson and Santos.
But I don't agree about Chael fight. Jones could not finish Gustafsson(1) and Santos, Silva was able to finish Sonnen. I know Sonnen dominated him, but he was not able to do any damage from top, Silva did damage in 4th round by elbows from the bottom and he finished him in 5 round. It means Sonnen would be dead if not referee in both fights.

Never because most fighters turned divas and once a diva has the belt she fights once a year with a long list of exigence in order to do his fuckin job.
Anderson got that Silva money by fighting not bitching like a spoiled kid.

Lol at this thread.

MM has the most defences but TS tried desperately to make it about Anderson who has less defences.

Last edited:
Anderson Silva - 10 title defenses (should be 11 via Lutter)
Demetrius Johnson - 11 title defenses
I don’t see double digit title defenses happening again

Consecutive Title Defenses is the hardest thing to achieve in MMA.

There are no greater achievements.

If Jones wasn't a dumbfuck he could already be there

Best bet is either Nunes or Valentina. I don't see anyone beating them in their weight classes

>easily
Delusional. LW is stacked. He had 2 title defenses and is 31. He needs 8 more. Think about who he could potentially have to fight: Garthje, Ferguson, Conor, poirier, Barboza, even Gillespie. Not to mention guys we don’t now coming up who are going to be absolute beasts. Not saying he definitely couldn’t do it, just that it wouldn’t be easy.
Khabib would easily get to 10 defences. No one is beating him. I am not saying the other lightweights aren’t good but khabib is just that much better.

Khabib would easily get to 10 defences. No one is beating him. I am not saying the other lightweights aren’t good but khabib is just that much better.
What makes you say that? He’s great but he’s definitely beatable and has looked beatable, imo. Have you watched the Thibau fight? A fantastic wrestler with great striking could really be a handful for him, e.g., Gaethje.

What makes you say that? He’s great but he’s definitely beatable and has looked beatable, imo. Have you watched the Thibau fight? A fantastic wrestler with great striking could really be a handful for him, e.g., Gaethje.
Only lightweight I give a good chance to is Tony, I think khabib takes the rest easily. Gaethje is to wreck less and hardly ever uses his wrestling in fights. But it would be a fun fight to watch that is for sure. His chin is next level.

10 title defenses is about five years of continuous fighting within a single division after becoming champion.

If Jones had followed a more linear path he would already have done it.

Out of the current fighters, I could see Valentina sitting pretty at 125 with no reasonable challengers for quite some time.

But five years out is a long time in MMA terms. And that's not taking into account weight jumping, injuries, etc...

Ngannou after he beats Stipe.

Only lightweight I give a good chance to is Tony, I think khabib takes the rest easily. Gaethje is to wreck less and hardly ever uses his wrestling in fights. But it would be a fun fight to watch that is for sure. His chin is next level.
Gaethje is definitely reckless, but that can work both ways. He does use his wrestling, just defensively. I think Gaethje is a worse matchup for Khabib than Tony. We'll see, maybe.

Back