1. Walt Harris' daughter is missing around Auburn, Alabama. Please read this thread for more information.

Will a fighter reach 10+ consecutive title defenses again?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by TheSpider, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Hellowhosthat

Hellowhosthat Purple Belt

Nunes maybe if she sticks with BW. I could also easily see Valentina doing it.

julmma and Thepaintbucket like this.
  2. DatSamboKid

DatSamboKid Black Belt

I think we might see it WMMA.

I feel like Shevchenko is going to go Demetrious Johnson on the WFLW division.

If you combine both belts, I think Amanda Nunes have a good chance.

Ironnik94 and Thepaintbucket like this.
  3. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Geodor GemeSianenPo

Harder to finish guys in the most stacked division than in the weakest division.

4. benebox

benebox Brown Belt

The only champion I see actually trying to do it is Holloway, and that only because his move up didn't end well. Jones could have but he got USADA'd. He probably still could, looking at how hollow the LHW division is.

5. Sausage_Carius

Sausage_Carius Green Belt

Valentina

1. She has 80s East German / Russian Olympic level athleticism.

2. A genetic freak that is stronger than many 135 fighters and arguably anybody at 125 and faster than all of her opponents.

3. Doesn't ever sink time into S&C like all of her competitors do freeing up 2-5 sessions a week to polish her skillset which consists of the same moves for 20 years giving many of them no tells for the opponent.

4. Her skillset, flawless defensive counter striking with wall & stall or trips to half guard transition and clever holds, is tailor made to abuse the 10 point MUST system. It's by far the most difficult style for any competitor to overcome let alone consistently to take a belt.

5. Holds the belt. Combined with her style it requires the opponent to engage which plays into her style making it almost impossible to beat her.

6. A willingness to lay on top of or against any opponent that is a potential threat to a point of separation to eat the clock and recover.

7. The UFC sees nobody that can beat her so they aren't curating any competitors careers that can like they did vs Ronda and Joanna. Meaning you are more likely to see short notice fights where opponents are completely unprepared to deal with a style that is already unusual in the entire sport let alone WMMA.

8. Almost impossible, or impossible, to find a training partner that can mimic her therefore it's nearly impossible to setup a working gameplan to beat her.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    julmma, Ironnik94, FIMN and 1 other person like this.
  6. superpunch

superpunch Silver Belt

USADA is going to make it a lot harder. These guys bodies are going to get beaten down and old faster without PEDs. Also just being naturally old will hurt them more now.

7. Avenchi

Avenchi Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Don't see it happening.
    Khabib will probably get his ass whooped by either Tony or GSP.
    Usman is good but beatable.
    Izzy is beatable as fook (relatively to other champions)
    Cejudo might have a impressive title defense run, if doesn't decide to do some stupid shit like switch to boxing.
    Holoway will get beat by Volkanovski imo.
    Stipe will get beat by big Frank.
    Jon will switch to HW sooner or later.

8. usadaguy

usadaguy Green Belt

Aldo - 9 title defenses including WEC. He was 2 times UFC featherweight champ.

GSP - 10 title defenses (including interim championship win). He was 2 times UFC welterweight champ and UFC middleweight champ.

Demetrious Johnson - 11 title defenses.

Jon Jones - 13 title defenses. He lost his belt because of his personal stuff.

Anderson Silva - 11 title defenses including Lutter win. Plus 3 first round knockouts against light heavyweights including former UFC light heavyweight champ Forrest Griffin. He was 16-0 in UFC and all wins by finish or dominant decision victory. Jones had 2 close decisions wins against Gustafsson and Thiago Santos, Silva never had close decision fight when he was the champ.

Jackonfire likes this.
  9. MMAcolyte

MMAcolyte Black Belt

TS is a troll who devotes 90%+ of his posts to detracting from GSP (futile effort, btw; @TheSpider , check the GOAT poll).

And even though this thread has a similar goal of shitting on Georges, I agree with the sentiment.

Aldo and GSP had 9 defences. Silva had 10 (realistically 11, he deserves more credit for beating Lutter's fat amateur ass, not less), and DJ had 11.

It will be extremely difficult for fighters to match those kinds of accomplishments.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    Ironnik94 likes this.
  10. Moro

Moro Green Belt

Yeah but face the reality, it got reset due to his own stupidity.

julmma, Ironnik94 and qw3rty like this.
  11. Greg House

Greg House Blue Belt

Maybe not close decision but he had to come back from behind to win. He got beat up for 24 minutes against Chael. That's worse than the 2 close decisions.

I also think there are more killers on Jones' record there. Leites, Cote, Lutter, Irvin and Bonnar are ok wins but Jones' are all pure killers. Also you say Anderson was 16-0 in the UFC but when you think about it, Jones is 21-0 so far.

Ironnik94 likes this.
  12. Rvd Slmr

Rvd Slmr Silver Belt

Cheating and doping are not "personal stuff".

NuMe and Ironnik94 like this.
  13. The Crow

The Crow The truth is like a lion... Double Yellow Card

Agreed. Weak division and juiced to the gills.

14. SG123

SG123 Blue Belt

DJ’s title defences are worth less than my thumb war win streak at the local park.

15. S U I H C U L A C C I

S U I H C U L A C C I Orange Belt

WMMA

16. ayyyyyyyy

ayyyyyyyy Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

>easily
    Delusional. LW is stacked. He had 2 title defenses and is 31. He needs 8 more. Think about who he could potentially have to fight: Garthje, Ferguson, Conor, poirier, Barboza, even Gillespie. Not to mention guys we don’t now coming up who are going to be absolute beasts. Not saying he definitely couldn’t do it, just that it wouldn’t be easy.

Ironnik94 likes this.
  17. FIMN

FIMN Brown Belt

It did seem that way didn't it?

18. theincognito

theincognito Brown Belt

It will happen again but that kind of thing is rare and will require a special champion. And it sure as hell won't be Kevin Lee @BobbyKnucklesStan

19. Organic Damage

Organic Damage Vantablack belt

Yeah Jones is like 0-3 against himself but who else has taken that title off him otherwise?

20. jeff7b9

jeff7b9 Silver Belt

Sandman delivered violence.

He was a “kill or be killed” fighter in a way that is pretty rare.