Will a fighter reach 10+ consecutive title defenses again?

TheSpider

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anderson Silva - 10 title defenses (should be 11 via Lutter)

Demetrius Johnson - 11 title defenses

I don’t see double digit title defenses happening again

Silva's title defenses were special, nobody really gave a fuck about DJ's title defenses. On paper they are similar numbers but in reality there was no comparison.

Silva's title defenses were special, nobody really gave a fuck about DJ's title defenses. On paper they are similar numbers but in reality there was no comparison.
You are correct. Silva had 8/9 title defense finishes (7 within 2 rounds) against much tougher competition than DJ had to face

Too many talented kids coming through, and rising the ranks quickly. I honestly thought The Chris was going to have a long reign at the top.

You never know but Anderson and Johnson had a nice string of defences.

Silva’s run is still the greatest I’ve seen, starting his UFC career off at 16-0 with 11 UFC championship fight victories and the way he finished guys like Dan Henderson and Rich Franklin and Vitor Belfort, he was the bess.

I don’t think we will see another mma fighter put together those type of win streaks for a long time.

Just like I don’t see another featherweight going on a 10 year undefeated run in the foreseeable future like Jose Aldo, nor do I see another heavyweight going undefeated for 10 years like Fedor did.

There are a lot of quality fighters in mma, elite ones at that, but then you have the great ones that come along once in a great while guys like Silva, DJ, Fedor, Jones, GSP, Aldo, those guys are just on a different level.

Maybe MMA is tightening in terms of competitiveness. As it gets more popular it will attract better athletes and thus make defenses harder.

it's bullshit that the Lutter one doesn't count just because Lutter missed weight.

Silva’s run is still the greatest I’ve seen, starting his UFC career off at 16-0 with 11 UFC championship fight victories and the way he finished guys like Dan Henderson and Rich Franklin and Vitor Belfort, he was the bess.

I don’t think we will see another mma fighter put together those type of win streaks for a long time.

Just like I don’t see another featherweight going on a 10 year undefeated run in the foreseeable future like Jose Aldo, nor do I see another heavyweight going undefeated for 10 years like Fedor did.

There are a lot of quality fighters in mma, elite ones at that, but then you have the great ones that come along once in a great while guys like Silva, DJ, Fedor, Jones, GSP, Aldo, those guys are just on a different level.
how many people did aldo truly beat in that 10yr undefeated run

how many people did aldo truly beat in that 10yr undefeated run

Jose Aldo’s run was one of the best.

Chad Mendes x2
Mike Brown
Kenny Florian
Frankie Edgar
Urijah Faber
Korean Zombie
Ricardo Lamas
Cub Swanson

Personally, I consider Jones to still be on his defense run.

Wait a second.....how dare you insult Dj’s opponents such as the great Ray Borg and Chris Elliott or whatever that guy’s name was....

Joe Rogan said DJ was the greatest combat athlete in the history of pugilism.

If the promotion has longevity long into the future yeah i'd imagine someone eventually would.

Back