Will a broken hand continue to hurt?

fastpenguin91

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I lost my temper and punched a wall, and it was hard enough to leave a small dent. I didn't punch it with my knuckles though, it was more like a "hammer fist" I hit with the pinkie side of my hand.

It hurt pretty bad for the first hour or so. It was painful to hold things and open doors, but now (3 hrs later) I can hardly feel anything unless I do something abnormal to "test" the amount of pain I have like stretch it or pick up something heavy-ish.

I was reading that "hammer fists" are less likely to cause injury due to extra padding on the side of your hand.

Anyone have any experience with broken hands, or... not getting something checked out and regretting it later?

Sorry if this is the wrong section.

It will heal on its own and develop a calcium deposit at the break over time. Your grip strength will be shit for a while though.

I would get it checked out if you think it's broken. I didn't get some probably-broken hands checked out when I was younger and now my fingers point in slightly weird directions. I'm not sure what happened, but I suspect it just healed whatever bone parts were touching and it wasn't properly aligned. I'm not mangled or anything, but I know that I'm going to have a near useless hand for dexterity when I'm elderly.

You really have nothing to lose unless your insurance is terrible. For me a visit to the doctor costs 25 dollars.

Get it checked out to be safe.

Broke my hand sparring before. The bone in my hand snapped. The nurse did a good job of aligning my bone perfectly after it broke and I had zero complications with it after recovery though.

pinky is very easy to break. the outer most fingers are actually the most susceptible to injury when punching, which is why the "boxer's fracture" is mostly involving the ring finger and/or pinky

Back