Economy Will $50,000 student loan forgiveness make you vote for Biden? I think he WILL do that.

LOL

$1,200 is nothing. Now...continued checks, yes, but one more $1,200 for Americans...nope.

And I'm not just saying that because I don't qualify for a check.

$50k GONE would be............a REAL stimulus.
Well adjusted and intelligent individuals knew what they were signing up for with college. Should the system be tweaked? Yes. But this is like someone signing a binding contract and then not wanting to fulfill their duties.

If he is elected, (I said weeks ago I think he will lose in a close race, but...Trump is really messing things up lately...more than usual...) I FULLY expect that Biden will sign an executive order, and...BAM!

$50,000 of your student debt...GONE.

The Congress will NOT need to vote on it. All that needs to happen is an executive order.

Timestamped:

And that will be the end of the economy.

If you jack up my taxes in order to forgive billions in unwarranted debt by retards, I am packing up and moving to Israel. If I have to pay that kind of taxes, let it go to my own people, not to hoodlums and white trash.

Cancelling student debt would be totally immoral. A slap in the face to people like this man who who worked hard and made sacrifices to send his daughter to college, to former students who paid off their loans, and to people who chose to go to cheaper schools because they didn't want to be burdened with huge student loan debts.

I found an article a while back which calculated the salary gains from a college degree. US college grads get a much bigger percentage of salary bump than in other countries, to the extent where the higher costs of college are offset by the higher salary. In Canada, the salary bump percentage is much lower - hand-in-hand with lower loan costs. So it seems that it's less of an issue than expected, mostly issues will arise when loans are ignored / mismanaged (not paid off) or someone pays a lot for a degree in a useless field.

Yeah it aint much. Canadian bastards have it good, I believe they are getting about 2k for 3 or 6 months straight. I still say students should pay that 50k. It is also not an issue of mine thats why.
They give you 2000 a month. Your expected to put the taxes aside from that 2000 as well. They will follow suit by raping people come tax time next year.

No. I am no student so I say let them pay for it. What government should focus on is giving out that 1200 to americans who need it right now, not trying to forgive students of 50k in debt.

Students need it as well. Who are you to determine who needs it or not?

Rewarding profiteering Education and exploitive banking at the expense of future tax payers.

Brilliant!
This lol I mean if they wanna take an actual look at the racket that is the banks and education system by all means go for it. Tell the school hey you charged these kids 20% more for some Bullshit program that isn't worth anywhere close to what you say it is, you'll pay back that 20%. Hold them accountable too.

How long do you think people should be entitled to a covid bonus? What about those of us who had to keep working during a pandemic while others sat on their ass being paid. Not just being paid but getting extra for some reason no one has been able to explain yet?

Lol. The grass is greener on the employment side, than being unemployed and receiving a check.

A one time forgiveness without revamping the system is just empty vote buying. At the same time, from what I know, the US education system costs and system is proper fucked. Yet it's a case of money talks.

People that went to college have $800K lifetime earnings over people who didn't. If the government is just going to give people $50K, it should go to the people who didn't go to college instead.

As a parent of 2 kids currently in college (both at very expensive private colleges) I'm not a fan.

1. Most "debt forgiveness" plans only apply to kids that went to public colleges, thus hurting those that choose other options.
2. What about the people that were fiscally responsible and didn't rack up a ton of student loan debt?
3. Why should taxpayers bail out people that made bad decisions (again)?
4. Why should people that willingly choose to go to college and knowingly took on a large financial obligation be relieved of having to do what they said they'd do (paying back the money they took)?
5. Why should the people that made better/wiser financial decisions be penalized (not only don't receive money but they have to pay money/taxes to cover the bailout for the idiots)?

IMO the only way student loan debt forgiveness makes any sense is if the following is done:

Every person (within a certain age range) gets the same $ amount, regardless of ANY other factors/criteria.
  • Went to a college and racked up a ton of debt = get $30k. Went to a community college = get $30k. Worked 2 jobs while in college to help pay as you go = get $30k. Went to a trade school and then into the workforce = get $30k. Didn't go to college and instead went right into the workforce = get $30k. Etc.
  • Each and every person gets the exact same amount, regardless of current debt. Those that were fiscally responsible should not be penalized compared to those that weren't. My 2 kids will end up graduating with (slightly) different debt amounts, even though their colleges both cost about the same ($71k per year versus $73k). So one will end up with about $12k of debt and the other will have about $24k, one shouldn't benefit more/less than the other based on their debt.
Another aspect not often mentioned is the bankruptcy laws regarding student loan debt. While I agree that someone shouldn't be allowed to just rack up debt and then upon graduation file bankruptcy and avoid having to every pay that debt, the current system IS part of the problem. I think that bankruptcy forgiveness of student loan debt should be allowed to some extent, but only as a percentage, and only after some amount of time. If you file bankruptcy say 5 years after graduation then say something like 50% of the student loan debt is wiped away (assuming some criteria is in place so that payments weren't just deferred for years in avoidance of meeting the previously agreed to financial obligations of the loans). If you file bankruptcy immediately after graduating then there much less forgiveness since you've made essentially no attempt to fulfill your agreed to obligations. On the flip side, if 15 years after graduating college you file bankruptcy and you still have student loan debt, then it all goes away (again, assuming some efforts have been made through the previous years to make good faith effort to play the debt).

As for who get student loan forgiveness, that's a tricky question. IMO it needs to be a pretty wide swath of people (i.e. ages). Not just recent graduates but also those that graduated 8 years ago, and those currently of college age (18-22). In addition, if something's going to be done it needs to also encompass those students currently in high school when they get to college (so some sort of long term finance reform and not just a one time bailout). I'd propose a tiered benefit, based on the recipient's current age. Something along the lines of:
35+ = gets $0
30-35 = gets $10k
25-30 = gets $20k
20-25 = gets $30k
15-20 = gets $20k (a lesser amount that's offset by financial reforms)
<15 = gets $0 commitment now, assuming financial reforms eliminates the debt problem in the coming years. However, if reforms don't happen it'd be possible that another round of "relief" could be done.

TL/DR: Every single person (of a certain age), regardless of whether or not they made shit decisions, deserves the same financial windfall. And a change to bankruptcy laws as a last ditch safety net are necessary.
Because no one 35+ had student loans?

<LikeReally5>

The only way this works is to give EVERYONE the same amount of $$$. And even then I'd be pissed, because if you're in the bracket that actually pays income taxes then you're just getting stolen from.

And that will be the end of the economy.

If you jack up my taxes in order to forgive billions in unwarranted debt by retards, I am packing up and moving to Israel. If I have to pay that kind of taxes, let it go to my own people, not to hoodlums and white trash.
It's definitely a moral hazard. If blowing your money and not paying loans is rewarded, why would people choose to save and invest in the future? Obviously they'll just spend their money on consumption instead. That's third world shit.

That would cover 2/3 of my daughters first year that I'm paying so it wouldn't change my mind in the slightest.

I want my 1200 now!! Its been about 5 months I have been waiting for this.

hqdefault.jpg

<TheDonald>

No, but I do think we need to do something about the spiraling cost of college. Education is very valuable but how we are structuring things now is not healthy for anyone except administrators.

I'm pretty lefty but this is bad policy.

Just have government take over the financing and have debtors pay the same rate it costs the government.

Simple only loser is the industry offering uncompetitive loans and only then if they can't compete

Rewarding profiteering Education and exploitive banking at the expense of future tax payers.

Brilliant!

Repaying the debt is a terrible outcome for the loan providers.
The loan conditions are vastly worse than open market, repayment in full would knock billions off the loan providers value.

Back