1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Wilder vs Molina

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by XCuTioNeR, Jun 10, 2015.

1. aries Gold Belt

Not even though it was his best showing by far he got hit too often in there against a much shorter man who had zero ambition. He got hit plenty by Molina who was on rubber legs for half the fight.

2. aries Gold Belt

Depends on your definition of never fazed. He looked wobbled on a couple of occasions if my memory serves me correctly. That was against a lack lustre Stiverne who just didn't seem to want to engage.

3. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Dont know what fight you saw. Stiverne got mauled and kept coming. Wilder was just better, everywhere.

4. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Neither are good defensively.

Note how Im not the one comparing one with another poor example.

5. nac386 Steel Belt

Seeing Wilder knock out Tyson Fury would be one of the most enjoyable moments in my life as a boxing fan.

6. aries Gold Belt

So how did Majidov manage to stop his first 3 opponents in a row at the 2011 Worlds? You've obviously never watched those 2 guys fight if you think they can't hurt you with head gear on...

7. aries Gold Belt

The bad and there is worse. Wilder in definitely in the latter category. Fury has changed his style quite a bit since his less disciplined days and is now fighting more like a tall man. Since he's done that I'd rate his defence as decent. I can't remember the last time he got caught since the style change. Wilder himself showed improvements in the Stiverne fight but it looked like he'd taken a step backwards against Molina.

8. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

I didnt say they couldnt, did I?

Its still silly to boast about someones ability to take a shot with the only example being headgear ammys.

9. aries Gold Belt

Stiverne just marched forward for most of that fight throwing very little. His work rate was non-existent. It was quite frustrating to watch.

10. aries Gold Belt

Not if you watched the actual bouts. They landed bombs on Joshua.

11. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Maybe thats because Wilder almost knocked his head off on multiple occasions.

12. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

With headgear.

13. BWC Purple Belt

Because Wilder was beating the shit out of him with jabs and monster rights. Did you even watch the fight?

14. aries Gold Belt

Do you even understand boxing? No doubt Wilder took some of the fight out of him but when Stiverne did let his shots go he had much better success. Marching forward not throwing anything is a sure fire recipe to get picked off, that's why they always tell you to come in behind the jab.

15. aries Gold Belt

I think you are very much overrating the protective nature of head gear! It didn't help David Price or Zhelei Zhang when Cammerelle knocked them out on route to the 2008 Olympic Gold or Ivan Dychko when Majid put him to sleep. They were the same shots that they landed on Joshua who took them.

16. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Lol. Right. Why do they use it then?

17. aries Gold Belt

They don't any more actually.

But they did because it looks nice and it reduces cuts the actual proof that it reduces concussions doesn't exist. There was a big study many years ago on the effect of headgear in ammie boxing carried out in the UK by the BMA. Barry McGuigan was put up as the PR person. The results were never published and the study was never mentioned again. I'm drawing conclusions here but I can only see one reason why the BMA who were very pro headgear chose not to publish their findings.

The cuts thing though is a problem. And there is a campaign to bring back headgear which started after the commonwealth games because of number cuts stopping the bouts.

18. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

They used headgear because it looks nice.

I have heard it all now.

19. aries Gold Belt

Find me a study to show it reduces concussions and brain damage? I'll save you time, you won't find one. Pros don't wear headgear in sparring to reduce concussion they do it to stop cuts and face savers for preventing facial damage.

It's political, they always tried to seperate the gentlemanly amateur boxing from the brutish professional blood sport. Why do they wear vests? For protection?
    But in recent times they've decided to bring it closer to pro boxing with changes to the scoring, 3 minute rounds and dropping head gear.

20. PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

Let me know when Joshua gets hit in a pro fight. Thanks.