Wilder-Ortiz Rematch - PPV Buys To Land Just North of 275,000 Domestically

Should've taken that DAZN deal.
Agreed. Said he was a window licker all along for that one. We’ll see how it turns out though, I think DAZN goes under within a year from now. Truly have no idea how theyre going to pay out the contracts they gave.

PPV generated $21 Million, live gate was a little over $4 Million

Out of $25 Million, 20 is going to Wilder?
I don't see it

Site fees in Vegas are usually considerable for fights with any following (and a $4 million dollar gate suggests there was). It has been suggested in the past that the big fights used to generate $20-30 million in site fees. For a fight like this, maybe something like $5 million would have been what they got (pure speculation). Hard to say without more information, of course.

Agreed. Said he was a window licker all along for that one. We’ll see how it turns out though, I think DAZN goes under within a year from now. Truly have no idea how theyre going to pay out the contracts they gave.
Yeah it seems like they weren't making anything close to what they're spending. IDK how they're gonna pay Canelo's remaining contract let alone the rest of the people they've offered millions to.

Yeah it seems like they weren't making anything close to what they're spending. IDK how they're gonna pay Canelo's remaining contract let alone the rest of the people they've offered millions to.
May not look so bad in hindsight if it was fake monopoly money and they go under. Interested to see how it unfolds though. No way theyre feeling great right now.

undercard was shit by casual standards

Wilder fought a 50 year old guy (Oritzs first ppv ever) and sold 275.000

not bad.

3 million purse. 20 million+ in PPV, whatever for live gate if anything?

Seems about right.

If 275,000 PPVs sold at 60 dollars each, the entire sum of that falls short of 20 million. The live gate was a pittance regardless. They still had to pay Ruiz too, everyone who worked at the venue and for the venue itself.

So they are either making INSANE amounts of money off of sponsors and merchandise or theyre losing money. Perhaps premium channels and junk factor in but still, the numbers are weird.

Thats actually pretty good. Much better than the numbers being thrown around a few days ago. Only 50k below the domestic buys for Fury/Wilder. You'd have to think that establishes him on PPV now as long as he fights top 10 guys.

If 275,000 PPVs sold at 60 dollars each, the entire sum of that falls short of 20 million. The live gate was a pittance regardless. They still had to pay Ruiz too, everyone who worked at the venue and for the venue itself.

So they are either making INSANE amounts of money off of sponsors and merchandise or theyre losing money. Perhaps premium channels and junk factor in but still, the numbers are weird.
It wasnt a $60 ppv and doesnt take into account total revenue, as has been discussed.

Also, who cares. Wouldnt be the first or last time an event lost money. See DAZN for recent examples.

Consider this before you judge. Apples to apples..

This is Wilder's second ever PPV, and it's close to what the greats have hit numbers wise for their second PPVs, a re-match that no one really wanted to see on PPV.......AND that we are in a streaming era where nobody purchases anything (2020, most people stream)

This was an absolute success.

Consider this before you judge. Apples to apples..

This is Wilder's second ever PPV, and it's close to what the greats have hit numbers wise for their second PPVs, a re-match that no one really wanted to see on PPV.......AND that we are in a streaming era where nobody purchases anything (2020, most people stream)

This was an absolute success.

Yea, I am surprised. I mean the 2.5 thousand, and even the 20k and 50k numbers to me seemed way low. But I was guessing 120-150k or so. Even when I say I am not going to buy a PPV because it isn't PPV worthy, I usually cave and still get it. This was the first one in a while I actually didn't buy and used a stream. Same thing for my buddy back home who is as big a boxing fan as me.

Using that very limited barometer, I assumed it would be in that range. The only other one I skipped recently was Khan vs Crawford, which did about 150k. I even bought the Crawford vs Postol PPV, and they only did like 70k IIRC.

Wilder is a superstar.

Undercard was shit, Oritz a no name + first ppv

extremely good numbers

@RNC555 god bless the HW version of Conor.

If those numbers are to be trusted, pretty good considering expectations.

The pay discrepancy between boxing and mma stars is crazy af. Who knows what Wilder is really making and obviously mma is a bit different in that it tends to have more draws per card, but when it comes to true drawing power, the top guys in mma are outdrawing the current top boxing stars around an order of magnitude and making around an order of magnitude less.

you definitely have to hit up McGregor for calling the UFC on their bullshit and playing hardball. And I just feel bad for huge stars like Fat Ronda who didn’t maximize their earnings.

Back