AM
BJJ
Focus head and arm and guillotine choke
Rolled a bit

PM
Bike for 10 mins hard
Lifting
Upper body and Legs

Notes-Feeling a little tired idk maybe overtraining I haven't had a day off in a bit, Weight pre workout 195.

quick recap

Sunday
Lifted
Bench
Dips
Pullups
skull crushers

Monday rest

tuesday
First day at boxing gym 2 hours
Went well, very good atmoshphere good workout ready to get to work there and improve

Wed
BJJ for an hour, free roll

Thur
Boxing gym 2hours
Went really good again, Coach is gonna have me spar next time I come in or he wants to have my spar neway, which is good.

BJJ-one hour-frames and escaping from bottom.

Jacked up my back during bjj, pretty sore not sure what my next move entails maybe lifting and a jog today idk.

Been training hard
Nov8-10

Monday

Made it up to boxing gym for 45 minutes

Just did rounds on the bag the whole time

Tuesday
Boxing Gym

2hours

SPARRED FOR FIRST TIME SINCE BROKEN HAND AND AT NEW GYM!

Was a lot of fun trainer is very good, excited to work with him, he is going to clean my game up.

Need to keep elbows in tight and throw straight punces from my side, main thing is keeping elbows down and in.

Also getting off the ropes need to not trade then but need to cover up hard and circle out, clinch, or crash into opponent.

Other then sparring did a bunch of rounds on the bag and jump rope.

Wed:
BJJ for an hour

Thur

Boxing gym Followed by BJJ/mma gym

Boxing was just a lottt of bag work and jump rope

BJJ was focus on running man and stuff from quarters bottom.

Friday

Competition Team
Lots of intervals and intervaled sparring

Then went to the gym after and

Ran 2 miles at 7 mph

Then

5x5 pullups
some weighted dips
Leg press
Quad extension

Today Sunday took a chimney out so lots of bricks were carried.

12/13/10
Sunday

Was sick last two weeks

BJJ- free rolls bout an hour.

Pullups
x8
x6
x4

Squat
3x8

Pushups

Was training hard and getting in good shape got sick, healthy again debating on if boxing gym is where I need to be right now or if I should look to switch mma gyms as my current one is just bjj now a days and focus on kickboxing and mma. The bjj at my gym is by far the best in the area though.

Last edited:
12/15/10
Wednesday

BJJ
Free Rolls
-Rolled with a fellow my size and a blue belt, we are both pretty even usually had a good roll, lasted like 30-40 minutes lol, I controlled it which I was happy with because my goal is to slow down and play a bit smarter, so I held side control and passed his guard a few times and held mount most the time, all so he could knee bar me at the end lol. Good roll though, the I rolled with a purple and he beat me.

Deadlift
185 5x5

Pullups (did a 3-5 sets of chin ups day before)
5 sets first set got 8

Pushups
5 sets first set got 27.

12/16/10
thursday

BJJ-Free rolled, two good rolls with two good blue's.
Class consisted of getting out of mount using elbow escape, also went over S-Mount and arm bar from there.

When i got home I watched the Peruvian neck tie video on sherdog here.
So my goals for tonight entail get an armbar from s-mount and get the peruvian neck tie lol.

12/17/10
Friday

BJJ
Free rolls for an hour and a half

Lifting
Pullups 5 sets 8 first set
Pushups 5 sets 28 or 30 first set
Bulgarian split squats on bench 20 lbs 3x12

Beginning of new week

12/20/10
Monday

Went up to boxing gym but it was closed so I headed over to BJJ gym.

BJJ class
Worked knee on belly

To escape, use hand closest to them put on their ankle/foot on knee on belly area hold and shrimp away.

When on top if you see an opening on far arm reach in grab and yank it up tight then spinning arm bar. (grab with your arm that is farthest from their head)

Also if on bottom and they hit S-mount on you reach both arms under their s-mount and slide out the back door

Boxing-Justdid like 10 -15 minutes straight sparring with this dude.

Also did 4 sets of pullups

Last edited:
12/21/10
Tuesday

BJJ
Good free rolls with this blue (soon to be purple) very scrambly rolls, super back and forth, got really tired it was a good roll, he got me with a RNC and a arm bar I did not want to tap to the arm bar and my arm got kinda tweaked, my fault, I always fight chokes but I usually tap to all other things pretty well, chokes I usually fight until I am gonna go out. (which isn't good, there is vid on youtube floating around of me getting choked unconscious lol)

Drills did a drills class 30 seconds you're down by points gotta get the points and get the win, 12 or so sets of that, maybe 16.

-Boxing gym is on hold till january but thats ok, more time to focus on bjj n i can get sriking at my mma gym.

12/22/10
Wednesday

Weight: pre workout 190

MMA

3x5 minute MMA rounds in the cage-went good, hands and kicks and changing levels for the takedown felt good, clinch did not feel good, guy was stronger then me in the clinch, but I dominated on the ground for the most part.

After MMA rounds

Lifted
Pullups
Pyramid to 6 then back down

Deadlift-
Worked up to 275x5 since just doing these for first time in a long time

Pushups-
perfect form 1st set 30, did 3 sets total.

Last edited:
12/23/10
Thursday

BJJ-1hour free rolls
Met two guys one purple and one white with a bunch of stripes, white belt was bigger, the purple and I were close in weight.

We just did you stay in two rolls and we grappled, first roll with purple belt was very good I was passing his guard pretty well and we were sweeping each other left and right, I was giving up my back quite a bit, he ultimately arm barred me from guard. Then I rolled the white belt, we had a solid roll, I was passing his guard well, but had a hard time establishing position, I ended up triangleing him. Then the purple and I rolled again and he got me with something a choke from back control but a GI choke, but not quite a bow and arrow.

Overall good rolls for the day, not to much training but still a good amount (I have a hard time understanding I don't always have to kill my body in training, that's another focus on 2011 is consistency)

Now a day full of xmas shopping, maybe some core tonight.

12/24/10
Friday

BJJ- 1 hour free rolls, got smashed by a purple.

Focus on
-Guillotine from half guard top if they are curled up and I can not flatten them, using it more to threaten and pass but you can finish
-Also getting half guard top the passing pressure down right

Lifting

Chin ups
8 for first set
then 4 sets of 5

Deadlift
2x8

Pushups
30 first set
5 sets total

12/27/10
Monday

Muay Thai

Went to this Muay Thai gym downtown, really cool place, I just can't afford to go there, but the trainer taught some really cool stuff.

12/28/10
Tuesday

5 rounds of 3 minutes-burpees
Total: 125

5 sets of 50 on hand gripper thing.

Last edited:
12/29/10
Wednesday

Pushups with a backpack on with 20 lbs in it (3 minute rest)
30 bodyweight
3 sets of 15 with backpack

Chin ups (2 minute rest)
3x5 with back pack on
2x5 bodyweight

Squats (1 minute rest)
3x50

Core
2x1 minute

GF is coming to visit (long distance) so won't be at mma or boxing gym just doing workout and stuff around house or gym.... maybe... lol.

1/11/2011
Tuesday

Boxing gym

-did 2 hours, bag work, lots of fundamentals, did rounds holding 5 lb weights up to my cheeks like keeping hands up and core work.

1/12/11
Wednesday

BJJ

Focused on open guard, always having THREE points of contact, I want to play open guard everytime I roll, need to put the ego aside on this one and risk being passed etc, going to play open guard everytime I do bjj. (idk bout mma lol)

O n proper open guard, it's not just legs out and extended, it's keeping them folded in trying to stay tight, if you open guard, keep your knees up almost by your elbows, and you can play with your feet in front of them on hips, then if they stand up, hold on and just sit up to on your butt, knees still in tight.

Key points for open guard
-three points of contact
-Keeping feet in front of them when playing open guard (or at least one of them)
-Keeping knees up and tight close to elbows (kind of hard to write out, but don't just lay them straight)
Went in and rolled had some good rolls, hit a few arm bars from mount

Last edited:
1/13/11
Thursday

Boxing gym
2 hours

10 minutes shadowboxing
3 rounds shadowboxing in front of mirror
5-6 rounds on bag
Lots more mirror work focusing on correct form
Core work, bunch of crunches and decline sit ups at the end

Most of my focus is on keeping my damn elbows in right now, it's a bad habit i've formed (not keeping elbows in tight) and it's time to break it, i'm also focusing on keeping my hands up. Fundamentals, Fundamentals, Fundamentals.

Notes: MMA gym trainer and I talked, potentially fighting March 5th, it's really my call, I wanted to just box and do bjj this year and get a solid year competing in both individually and getting better at those sports. But doing mma does not sound to bad either lol, i'll go into comp team tomorrow night see how things look and try and get a few solid weeks training for a fight and see how it feels. Also got a new sparring partner at the boxing gym, young kid weighs 203, first ammy fight was at age 9 lol, but he's cool, we will start sparring this upcoming week.

Tomorrow is comp team and depending on it's difficulty level, gi bjj will follow.

Last edited:
1/14/2010
Friday
MMA gym

Competition Team-Was awesome, had 8 people on the mats, 6 or 7 had fights, two were pro's. Just a good feeling and a good night of training, think 4 of us are taking fights in March (two pros and me and another ama.)

The class was a LOT of cardio as we are all out of shape lol, and a bunch of solid boxing rounds and boxing with clinch.

1/15/11
Saturday

BJJ
Open guard week at gym

Cool sweep series, try and hit scissor sweep, if not there kick the knee out and still try and scissor sweep with knee across chest, if not there and if there arm is underneath your knee across chest you post leg that was pushing knee on hip and hit a triangle, or else since you have wrist control you just put that foot in their bicep and spider guard or whatever you can stall then try and hit the sweep again etc.

Also got a good amount of free rolls in.

Now I will try and go into detail on that

Scissor sweep-

When opponent is in your closed you control their left wrist with your right arm and you either have a collar tie grip or a grip up high on either side gi lapel with your left arm.

Open close guard put left heel on mat push off and get your left knee at an angle across opponents chest (a variation I will explain later, also you have to find the right angle so they can not just push it aside or smash it down)

Take your right leg and rub it on the mat and you want to keep it as tight as possible and almost kick your (but scrape more than kick) opponents left legs out (with the back of your legs like calf area) as you use your hips and that knee across the chest to flip them over, all while holding onto the wrist control and the neck tie and or lapel.

If Scissor sweep fails-

You still have control of their left wrist with your right arm, you also still have collar tie or lapel grip with your left arm.

You try the scissor sweep it fails, so you keep your left shin across their chest but now you take your right leg and you kick their left knee out like push it down.

When you are pushing the knee down you still make the scissor sweep motion with your left leg across the chest.

Say that doesn't even work

So if your knee is across the chest, and their right arm is underneath that leg, you can post your right leg on their left hip and pivot to your left hip then slap your left leg over and lock up a triangle.

Or you can take your right foot and put it in their left bicep (while you have wrist control) and play around in spider guard, look for a triangle or hang out then go back to the scissor sweep.

Last edited:
Back