WILDCARD!!!! (BJJ, Stand up, MMA, S

7/22/10

Thursday
Boxing/MMA

We didsome boxing mainly focusing on the jab and our stances and stuff.

Did MMA and focused on holding quarters top while striking, I need to keep my ass lower and to the mat, need to keep my weight more over on my side and less across the bottom dudes back. Also using my hand across his body and putting it in his right leg area or holding his back ankle (farthest from body)

Then

S&C
8 burpees followed by 30 seconds shadow boxing x3=one round (so 24 burpees and a minute and a half of shadowboxing around)

Did 5 rounds.

Notes-On the last round I forgoed a minute of shadow boxing and just did 16 burpees straight, I have mit work after comp team friday (supposed to neway) and didn't want to be to fatigued.

7/23/10
Friday

Competition Team
Worked on boxing, sparring
-Messed up my thumb

Worked on off the cage stuff, if they shoot the double, take the wrestling sit out or something I forgot the name but basically if your against the wall and the guy has shot in a double you and his head is a little on your right or body angle, you take your left arm put it across his back and hand inside his left leg then kind of pull with your hand but push your tricep into his side/lat and you get a sweet little sweep.

Off the cage sequence
-wrestler thing I described above
-Go for Kimura
-When he switches to a single and if he goes for your back either get your back against the cage, or reverse it and put him against the cage.

BJJ
1 hour
Free Rolled for an hour or more.

Notes-Fucked up my thumb hit a hook of a guys head and caught my thumb awkwardly pretty sure it's just a sprain.

So this may be silly but I keep getting hurt and last time I hurt my ankle was a 6 months out of training ordeal, so this is from the book training for warriors, may help some people idk may help me.

So here are the concepts for dealing with injury from the book.

1. Accept that the injury has occured, and move forward......
2. Examine how the injury happened, so that it never happens again.
3. Find out all you can about the injury and it's rehabilitation.
4. Use every method of rehabilitation you can get your hands on.
5. Be consistent and thorough with your rehab.
6. Find the outlets and determine what training you can do around the injury
7. Foucs on areas that you needed to improve pre-injury.
8. Dont test the injury while healing and reirritate it.
9. Develop a list of the things that the injury is trying to tell you.
10. Don't forget what you learned from the injury for the future.
My answers

1. Done
2. The injury occured due to me not wrapping my hands before sparring and because I threw a hook with my hand kind of open. So I need to wrap up and close my fist when sparring.
3. University Sports Medicine - WRIST SPRAIN - REHABILITATION EXERCISES heres a link but I can't do any of those wrist is pretty damn jacked.
6. I can train my right hand, thai kicks, boxing movement (combo take a angle and repeat)I can do technique work on the ground, I can work my running, and my stretching and lower body work.
7. I need to improve on my nutrition for the most part and taking care of my body by at least wrapping my hands up, stretching, also working on cutting those angles after a combo and staying in tighter will be good so lots of shadow boxing.
9. Wrap your hands dumbass and close them when you spar.
10. See 9.

7/27/10
Tuesday

A.M.
S&C

Mile and a half run (mile done at 8mph)
Then set the treadmill to 10 mph and 10% incline and did 10, 10 second sprints.

P.M.
Boxing/mma class

Worked on dirty boxing and the did some clinch to takedowns to MMA rounds

BJJ
Worked on mount techniques, so knees in tight, feet touching behind their butt, hip pressures when they upa, if you get bumped forward putting hands out wide keeping feet tight and kinda grapevineing, going of at an angle and peeling the arms so you can climb a high mount.

Boxing
Did a lot of right hands and thai kicks since my wrist is jacked up. I want to focus on throwing a combo (staying in tighter) and immediately sliding that angle. Drill to work that pick a line throw a combo and get that angle on that line, pick a small angle or pick a big angle (slide out) Then we finished with some calinsethics (I could only do abs and leg stuff) and neck work.

7/28/10
Wednesday

Warmed up with some chair drills
Get in chair crab walk
in chair crab walk with jabs
in chair slip hooks
in chair slip hooks come up with punches

10 rounds shadowboxing

Focused on staying in chair throwing really straight punches, throwing a combo then angleing out (got on a line threw a combo then took a small angle or slid out and took a big angle) also throwing the right hand then small angle either way then throwing another right hand so right quick angle nother right.

7/29/10
Thursday

8 100 meter sprints
walk the curve 100 m inbetween sprints.

4 total laps

8/1/10
Sunday

Went out and partied hard last night got no sleep took me an hour to get home this morning at 6:00 between public transportation and walking, on the walk home decided I needed to sweat some of this alcohol out so I went for a jog.

30 minute Jog-3miles

Last edited:
Beginning of week 6

8/2/10
Monday

BJJ

Worked knee ride on the hips

When they turn into you pull up on sleeve or pry bar or cross face

When they shrimp and make space use fist to block hip
When they roll away take the back

-Got lots of free rolls tonight first time I could roll in over a week cause of my hand rolled a good blue had a good roll, then rolled a two stripe white who made a lot of odd choices and reminded me why to focus on fundamentals when trying to progress my own BJJ game.

I have been reading saulo riberios book as well also watching some videos on line and have stumbled upon some pretty cool concepts. Involving standing up in a closed guard, breaking the closed guard, knee over passes, underhook passes, holding side control, idk I feel like there is a lot of technique swirling in my brain right now I hope I retain and can put it into use in an alive situation.

Also learned a cool takedown from that Jon Jones fight when he took Matshuyenko down, he had that right underhook then put his lead leg inbetween M's and hooked M's back leg with his lead leg also pushed on M's right shoulder area with his left hand and hit the takedown/trip.

Last edited:
8/3/10
Tuesday

MMA striking

1hour

We worked the teep kick for the most part using it as a foot jab emphasis on picking up the knee high then the kick, also worked on using it in counters, then worked on defense and catching and kind of scooping it.

BJJ
1 hour

Worked knee on belly escapes, basically either framing on the foot and shrimping away, or using the running man when turning away from opponent.

Had some good rolls got a little tired.

Boxing
1 hour

Mostly footwork and bag and shadowboxing and then some sprints and calinsethics at the end.

8/4/10
Wednesday

AM Session

BJJ
Hour and a half

Worked knee on belly posting up with leg not on belly for base and sitting low and back on hips/legs, also prybarring the head to keep head turned away, if they pummel in for underhooks dont get in a pummel war bring it straight back and try and get it back if can't push a leg down or keep body turned away.

Worked three subs from this
1) Arm bar where you stay on top
2) Baseball bat choke
3) Step over arm bar (on this post with hand on far side then step around where hand was and spin)

Tonight is Competition team and maybe more bjj, hand wrist is still fucked up fracture clinic called today said they want me to come in so they can do more xray work, they couldn't get me in till a week so just gonna keep training whatever, my docs handle injuries like shit imo.

8/5/10
Thursday

5:00 pm
Sprints
few 100's
then
10 40-50 yard sprints

Then went off to BJJ at 7:00 pm

Worked knee on belly, far side hand either pushing down on bicep or underhooking close hand either crossfacing or pulling up on sleeve. To escape right when they go for knee on belly keep arms in tight put far arm on posted leg and close arm in gut area that's your frame then shrimp away. Also did a pretty cool sweep, it'd be hard to explain but ill try tomorrow.

Subs learned
Close arm bar
Far arm bar

Only thing I mainly noted was to secure the arm you are attempting to arm bar with your arm that is closest to their legs, or basically using your bottom arm to secure the arm you are attacking when in knee on belly.

Notes- Rolled with a big d-1 wrestler had a good roll, then in the middle of that my giant 250 lb blackbelt head trainer grabbed me and we rolled, I survived for a few minutes the first roll but he owned me, then the second roll was mostly just smashage.

8/8/10
Sunday

BJJ
Wrestling only like 20 minutes but ten straight then a round out then ten straight.

Went ok it was me and two other blues.

Lifting (first time i've done anything in over 3 weeks hand still hurts but did what I could)

Bench
pullups
military
curls

Last edited:
8/9/10
Monday

A.M.

3 mile run

Tonight is BJJ and boxing.

8/17/10

Tuesday

lifting
Pullups
Bulgarian split squats
Dips
idk I forgot I did 4 upper and 4 lower

So I have a fractured wrist so I have a cast on right now, it's purple

8/20/10
Friday

5 pullups
10 pushups
15 leg things

15 times through

did that and shadow boxing and stuff for 30 minutes.

Coming back from my fractured wrist let me try and recap last week.

Monday: BJJ
Wed: BJJ
Thur: Randy coutore barbell cricuit
Fri: MMA (light wrist is still rehabbing) n BJJ

I may go into roll tonight.

The way my gym breaks down now is that each week is dedicated to a certain position and every BJJ class is about that position.

This week is half guard top.

Focus has been on
-controlling their bottom leg (either sitting on it or blocking it out with a hand)
-Flattening your opponent out
-Crossfacing hard *
-getting the far side underhook

So keep opponent flat control bottom leg crossface hard and have far side underhook.

Then I was having a prob getting my leg free when they lock it up so I need to pop up on toes (while crossfacing and putting weight towards that shoulder but not up but dropping down like an elevator) then twist the knee or cut the angle to pass.

We also learned two ways to pass half guard, hips facing the mats (described above) and hip facing hip.

Hip to hip
All the same above basics
Take arm that is crossfacing (let's say left arm here)
take left arm and put it on your opponents left shoulder area (so bicep is on left shoulder) and try and reach down and grab their belt or something with your left hand.
Sit out so your left knee is touching their right hip and their right arm is behind your waist (if their arm is at their side or under your body go back to hip to floor or bail from this)
After you sit out scoot back a few inches for base and up to kill arm then just work your let out and finish the pass.

Also a cool way to mount from there say you are in the same position, weave your left leg under their right leg take your right hand and touch their left knee then step over for the mount

*Crossface-Think of this as a elevator dropping always keep the elbow of the arm that is crossfacing on the mat.

Notes-Overall wrist is feeling pretty good probably 80% feels great to be back in the gym.

Been keeping busy doing a lot of 30 seconds burpees (with or without pushup) 30 seconds shadow boxing.

10/26
Monday

BJJ

Focus is on head and arm and headlock this week (no one plays this in my gym but in my MMA fight the dude tried it and in a tourney right after I got my blue I got stuck in head and arm lol and is sucked guy just held me there till the round ended.

Three area to be hugging close to them and on your hip wrap your top leg like putting a hook in and push their head down.

Scoot your hips close to them but facing the ceiling upa back n either pull ur elbow out or roll them.

Or hips far away hips facing ceiling and sit into them rolling them up.

Keep the hand they have caught in head and arm tucked close to their body (so they can't control it) u can use your other hand to mess with the head and stuff.

-Got some free rolls in after that I took my wrist brace off for a few off em first time I was able to roll without that thing on since I broke shit in my wrist/hand.

10/27
Tuesday

Lifting and Cardio

Bodyweight: 195

Pullups
x7
x6
x6
x5
x5

Dips
x15
x12
x8

Dumbbell bench
Shoulders
arm stuff

CARDIO
Treadmill-Ran 20 minutes
first 10 minutes at 6 mph
second 10 minutes at 7 mph

So after some thought and wrist/hand pending I am strongly considering going to a real boxing gym and putting in some work and doing the upcoming golden gloves, if I can't do golden gloves at least a few ama boxing match.

I will continue to train at my BJJ gym 3-5 times a week I just think spending some time training like a boxer and sparring with boxers and fighting a few times would be something I would never regret.

We'll see how it goes my only concern is money and how I have none, my MMA gym lets me train for free in exchange for me cleaning the gym, i'm not sure I can afford a boxing gym, that's the only partial hold back.

Checked out local boxing gym they have a team that trains from 5-7 20 bucks a month I can only make it two nights a week this semester but will be starting that tuesday.

Wednesday
10/27/10

AM
BJJ
Focus on head and arm
Free Rooll

PM
Competition Team
Crazy conditioning involving bear crawls and suicides and takedowns and an hour of cardio basically

A guy got his brown belt after that and he got iron manned for just under 2 hours.

Last edited:
Back