Wife and Mom tension

It wasn't the political part as much as the blatant disregard for me and my wife's political beliefs. She had no benefit from saying to honk while cheering. It was very unproductive like most political conversations.
Oooo someone got excited and said something and youre acting like it was some sinister ploy by your mother. Grow up and move on. Tell your wife to do the same.

My dude, aren’t you the guy who always tries to talk macho with the Patrice talk regarding relationships?

if I’m not confusing you with another poster, then what kinda limp wristed shit is this?

So...quick caveat as there is always somebody that says this is a WR topic, but this isn't about what side you are on politically.

My mom and dad came up to visit the wife and I today. We were having a great day; got lunch, chatted for a few hours, hung at our house with our pup. Everything was going great until...we were headed over to a home and garden shop near my house and at the main intersection was a large group of Trump supporters with flags, yelling at the cars causing them to honk and cheer.

Like the rest of the country, NH is split pretty close to 50/50...maybe a little more Democrat but depends on where you are. So my wife and I were both raised Democrat and we still share many (not all of those values) but that isn't the point of this. My mom in the backseat starts cheering! Telling me to honk at them...knowing the wife and I are not huge supporters. We aren't liberals but that is how things apparently get divided lol.

My wife was quiet and respectful and my dad diffused the tension as best as he could. The damage was done. Idk what the hell to do as my wife has been quiet all night and felt disrespected...and I agree with her. That's my mom though so wtf...I'm stuck here.

Cliffs: Mom is a die hard Trump fan, wife is a Democrat and Mom cheered at Trump supporters in my car which angered my wife...more hurt than angered. Now idk how to proceed.

Double cliffs: Fuck all of this political bullshit I don't even care about any of it. Go away the lot of them!

Triple cliffs: <1> Me right now.

Sounds like it will defuse by itself, no need to hold a grudge over that. In a few weeks everyone will forget. If you wife brings it up change the subject.

Must suck if the two most important women in your life are so infantile. Accepting and respecting differences seems like a thing of the past nowadays.

the one to get rid of is the one that can't handle someone else's opinion/belief or is trying to control you or yours.
An incident like this should not be a big deal (unless someone makes it one)

Tell her she pays like 20x more taxes than Trump and his billionaire friends.

Your mother just became excited.

If you love your mother, don't let politics destroy your relationship with her.

Just let it go and move on.

Oooo someone got excited and said something and youre acting like it was some sinister ploy by your mother. Grow up and move on. Tell your wife to do the same.

I didn't say it was a sinister ploy. What I said was knowing our affiliation, that was disrespectful to do in today's climate. It was antagonizing and my wife and her don't have that type of relationship.

My dude, aren’t you the guy who always tries to talk macho with the Patrice talk regarding relationships?

if I’m not confusing you with another poster, then what kinda limp wristed shit is this?

That is completely different man. The way decisions are made and the way I run the house has zero to do with my wife has I g emotions. She is entitled to her emotions and I don't shun her for them. That's literally how you get a woman to cheat or file for divorce. A woman's friends will convince them that you as the husband are not supportive. That's playing with fire. She knows I make the decisions and set the tone but if something bothers her we always work through it. I'm not her pimp lol.

Must suck if the two most important women in your life are so infantile. Accepting and respecting differences seems like a thing of the past nowadays.

That's all I want really. Respect is a big thing and I think it is a dying art.

the one to get rid of is the one that can't handle someone else's opinion/belief or is trying to control you or yours.
An incident like this should not be a big deal (unless someone makes it one)

If the shoe was on the other foot, my mom would have felt disrespected though. Most people wouldn't have received that sort of thing warmly. A lot of dudes on here are not telling the truth about what they feel or how they'd react. Their moms basement is showing. This is real life and the political climate is very divided right now. Now, more than ever it is a hot button topic.

Your mother just became excited.

If you love your mother, don't let politics destroy your relationship with her.

Just let it go and move on.

Even of she just became excited, that is kinda stupid to me. We are smart enough as a family to know that no politicians have our best interest in mind. She always understood that so we went the path of least resistance. When this division happened nationally she drew her line in the sand and believes everything that side puts out. It has, like many other people, created a fanaticism that is off-putting. It's a bigger issue to openly feel as though others are super wrong about something they are passionate about. It's why we are so divided and things like "fake news" and "snowflake" and all the far right insults exist. Respect is gone.

What is there for your wife to be hurt about? Your mom got excited because she supports Trump. If mom wanted you guys to honk you just tell mom to relax and that you’re not going to honk and cheer. That’s that.

It might be mom who feels a bit hurt after that and you just explain things to her and all is good.

Unless there is more to the story your wife seems to be making a big deal out of nothing. She’s actually acting like the exact overly-sensitive liberal that some Trump fans expect Democrats to be.

Years ago I watched this scary Japanese drama TV series where this super pretty wife was terrorized by her mother-in-law, who also kept her own mother-in-law confined in a shed in the backyard.

<WellThere>

I don't think you even need to get angry at your mom. It's just your old mom. You and your wife are like children to her and you'll always be her actual child.
A little silly uproar like that in the backseat could have just been fun for her.

It's funny how easily misunderstandings can occur.

I didn't say it was a sinister ploy. What I said was knowing our affiliation, that was disrespectful to do in today's climate. It was antagonizing and my wife and her don't have that type of relationship.

That is completely different man. The way decisions are made and the way I run the house has zero to do with my wife has I g emotions. She is entitled to her emotions and I don't shun her for them. That's literally how you get a woman to cheat or file for divorce. A woman's friends will convince them that you as the husband are not supportive. That's playing with fire. She knows I make the decisions and set the tone but if something bothers her we always work through it. I'm not her pimp lol.

That's all I want really. Respect is a big thing and I think it is a dying art.

If the shoe was on the other foot, my mom would have felt disrespected though. Most people wouldn't have received that sort of thing warmly. A lot of dudes on here are not telling the truth about what they feel or how they'd react. Their moms basement is showing. This is real life and the political climate is very divided right now. Now, more than ever it is a hot button topic.

Even of she just became excited, that is kinda stupid to me. We are smart enough as a family to know that no politicians have our best interest in mind. She always understood that so we went the path of least resistance. When this division happened nationally she drew her line in the sand and believes everything that side puts out. It has, like many other people, created a fanaticism that is off-putting. It's a bigger issue to openly feel as though others are super wrong about something they are passionate about. It's why we are so divided and things like "fake news" and "snowflake" and all the far right insults exist. Respect is gone.

Your father should have a word with your mother. It might be worth whispering something in your Dad's ear about it?

Either that or just wait until after the election to go see them again.

What is there for your wife to be hurt about? Your mom got excited because she supports Trump. If mom wanted you guys to honk you just tell mom to relax and that you’re not going to honk and cheer. That’s that.

It might be mom who feels a bit hurt after that and you just explain things to her and all is good.

Unless there is more to the story your wife seems to be making a big deal out of nothing. She’s actually acting like the exact overly-sensitive liberal that some Trump fans expect Democrats to be.

Politics are a passionate thing...especially now. When you know someone is differing from you, it's wise to avoid poking that hornet's nest. The last sentence of this is the issue IMO. If someone is bothered by something you and many others immediately want to throw them inside a box your side created.

I don't think you even need to get angry at your mom. It's just your old mom. You and your wife are like children to her and you'll always be her actual child.
A little silly uproar like that in the backseat could have just been fun for her.

It's funny how easily misunderstandings can occur.

I would agree with you if the topic was anything else. She is sensitive about politics too like a lot of other people. Had we done that, like I said, it wouldn't have been in good taste. There is no "fun banter" with politics.

Your father should have a word with your mother. It might be worth whispering something in your Dad's ear about it?

Either that or just wait until after the election to go see them again.

He did when he went to the home and garden store. Also, normally when they arrive home I have them text me to tell me. My dad texted me instead because I think my mom was reflecting on what happened. She may bring it up today when I call her IDK. To my father's defense, and he isn't usually good at reading the room, he knew her actions were in poor taste. My wife never said anything to my mother about it and didn't show her it bothered her. I had told my mom to move on as she was cheering.

Fanatically supporting a sports team I can totally understand, because it is an illness I have.

But having that same mentality for a politician or political party is something I will never understand.

For people I care about i refuse to discus politics or religeon because for sure someone getting u0ste

If it makes you feel better my girlfriends mom came over for dinner.. and well here are some cliff notes

1. Bidens a communist
2. If Biden wins Jesus will raise the dead and it will be the beginning of the apocalypse
3. If the green new deal passes we will only be allowed to ride bicycles by 2030
4. Bill gates will implant us with microchips (the mfer prolly wants too tbh)
5. All this turmoil is because liberals are angering god

Been here two hours and hasn’t said one sentence not about trump. She just told us she is making us get baptized before the election incase Biden wins.

Don't let her Trump/Biden comments distract you from the fact that this isn't about politics but rather a lack of IQ.

Back