Wife and Mom tension

My father in law was a massive Trump fan & it killed him. He was convinced that COVID-19 was a massive hoax & he refused to take the simplest of precautions. Right up until he caught the virus in May & he realized that it wasn't a hoax after all. But by then it was too late.

Now, I wish I'd have engaged him in debate more often than I did regarding his love for Trump & about the virus. But it wouldn't have done any good because he was a stubborn old coot. So, my wife & I just avoided the subject of politics with him as much as possible & we'd look the other way when he'd go off on one of his rants. Fortunately, they didn't occur very often unless he was watching Fox News. And he was only allowed to do that across the street at his own house. LOL.

As far as your mom is concerned, I'd just wait for things to ( hopefully ) blow over in the morning. Luckily, tomorrow is the last day before election day & after that, your mom won't have any reasons to bring up Trump anymore.

I never want to allow politics to get in between my family. I'm not passionate about it as is but trying to defend my views against my mom is brutal. I miss when things weren't so hateful. I'm a giant hippie and love to have peace. My parents are fearful of the virus so at least they understand it's real. I've drilled that to them having seen the effects first hand. I make sure they are careful but we live our lives.

I never want to allow politics to get in between my family. I'm not passionate about it as is but trying to defend my views against my mom is brutal. I miss when things weren't so hateful. I'm a giant hippie and love to have peace. My parents are fearful of the virus so at least they understand it's real. I've drilled that to them having seen the effects first hand. I make sure they are careful but we live our lives.

That's good to hear, bro. I'm glad that they're taking care of themselves.

Divide and Conquer. Elite millionaires and Billionaires are coming out on top of this election regardless of who "wins" this election.

You can take that to the bank, I know they will

That's good to hear, bro. I'm glad that they're taking care of themselves.

This world is so scary right now...not scary scary but it's scary to see how divided people are on common sense stuff. I try to bring reason into all I do. I explain to those I love what I've seen...not what I read on Facebook. They can do what they want with the information but I try to take the emotion out of it. That's why this has me so conflicted. I have emotions for my wife and my mom.

You going to your parents for Thanksgiving?

This year we aren't doing that. Covid made it hard to coordinate. Wife's parents are Democrats and last year we did a big Thanksgiving. It was fun but had a few crazy moments. We had a German old lady that was there and she called Trump Hitler three times. Haha it was wild...

Tell your wife to get over it. Your mother has a right to her opinion and wasn’t being disrespectful....she didn’t drive you TO the rally. It’s an issue because your wife made it one. I live by the Dont sweat the small stuff motto. So fucking what she likes Trump, the Dems have created so many Trump fans because of their poor behavior and intolerance the last few years, you reap what you sow.

Tell your wife to get over it. Your mother has a right to her opinion and wasn’t being disrespectful....she didn’t drive you TO the rally. It’s an issue because your wife made it one. I live by the Dont sweat the small stuff motto. So fucking what she likes Trump, the Dems have created so many Trump fans because of their poor behavior and intolerance the last few years, you reap what you sow.

Knowing the side of the other person, you don't see it as disrespectful to openly cheer in the car? I can't see your line of thinking. What would the end goal be?

Looks like it's time to have "The Talk" with your mom. Clearly she's gone mad. Explain to her calmly that the fat fucking idiot in the White House does not care about her, her finances or her health. Delete her Q Anon Facebook group and block her from all social networks until she has regained her sanity.
<PlusJuan>

It isn't the opposing political views. It's the idea that if a group of Biden supporters were in the intersection my wife wouldn't have cheered knowing my mother doesn't share her beliefs. It isn't sports lol Jesus man.
What I think is so strange is that I don’t ever recall any president having supporters this frenzied in their dedication. I see them waving Trump banners on bridges when I’m on the freeway.
There is—I shit you not—a dude who lives down the street from me who has Trump signs and banners all over his yard, American flags on his car like the presidential limo, the word TRUMP across his back windshield in letters that have to be 24” high or so, and small cardboard cutouts of Trump’s face on his rear passenger and driver side windows.
That scares the hell out of me. I mean it’s one thing to like and support a president, and another to worship them with this bizarre reverence.

She'll get over it. Just avoid doing anything with the parents until the election shit is over.

So...quick caveat as there is always somebody that says this is a WR topic, but this isn't about what side you are on politically.

My mom and dad came up to visit the wife and I today. We were having a great day; got lunch, chatted for a few hours, hung at our house with our pup. Everything was going great until...we were headed over to a home and garden shop near my house and at the main intersection was a large group of Trump supporters with flags, yelling at the cars causing them to honk and cheer.

Like the rest of the country, NH is split pretty close to 50/50...maybe a little more Democrat but depends on where you are. So my wife and I were both raised Democrat and we still share many (not all of those values) but that isn't the point of this. My mom in the backseat starts cheering! Telling me to honk at them...knowing the wife and I are not huge supporters. We aren't liberals but that is how things apparently get divided lol.

My wife was quiet and respectful and my dad diffused the tension as best as he could. The damage was done. Idk what the hell to do as my wife has been quiet all night and felt disrespected...and I agree with her. That's my mom though so wtf...I'm stuck here.

Cliffs: Mom is a die hard Trump fan, wife is a Democrat and Mom cheered at Trump supporters in my car which angered my wife...more hurt than angered. Now idk how to proceed.

Double cliffs: Fuck all of this political bullshit I don't even care about any of it. Go away the lot of them!

Triple cliffs: <1> Me right now.
PICS OF WIFE AND MUM

What I think is so strange is that I don’t ever recall any president having supporters this frenzied in their dedication. I see them waving Trump banners on bridges when I’m on the freeway.
There is—I shit you not—a dude who lives down the street from me who has Trump signs and banners all over his yard, American flags on his car like the presidential limo, the word TRUMP across his back windshield in letters that have to be 24” high or so, and small cardboard cutouts of Trump’s face on his rear passenger and driver side windows.
That scares the hell out of me. I mean it’s one thing to like and support a president, and another to worship them with this bizarre reverence.

I think that is the part that bothers me and my wife the most. You can't reason with that type of support. If he were to do something bad and I pointed it out, my mom would deflect to something the Liberals did. It's almost beyond reproach which is the scariest part. The news channel you watch shapes your views so much and that is super crazy to me too.

So your mom vocally shows support for her candidate and you and your wife couldn't handle it is this correct?

So your mom vocally shows support for her candidate and you and your wife couldn't handle it is this correct?

Not exactly. You are over simplifying it. For one, we weren't talking politics...it was forced into the conversation as she asked me to show support for the Trump people as we drove by. She was cheering with them when she is aware that we don't share her beliefs. She wasn't going to change our minds so why even try that in that scenario? We wouldn't have done that as it has no solid end game. On top of that, it would be divisive for the sake of being divisive.

So...quick caveat as there is always somebody that says this is a WR topic, but this isn't about what side you are on politically.

My mom and dad came up to visit the wife and I today. We were having a great day; got lunch, chatted for a few hours, hung at our house with our pup. Everything was going great until...we were headed over to a home and garden shop near my house and at the main intersection was a large group of Trump supporters with flags, yelling at the cars causing them to honk and cheer.

Like the rest of the country, NH is split pretty close to 50/50...maybe a little more Democrat but depends on where you are. So my wife and I were both raised Democrat and we still share many (not all of those values) but that isn't the point of this. My mom in the backseat starts cheering! Telling me to honk at them...knowing the wife and I are not huge supporters. We aren't liberals but that is how things apparently get divided lol.

My wife was quiet and respectful and my dad diffused the tension as best as he could. The damage was done. Idk what the hell to do as my wife has been quiet all night and felt disrespected...and I agree with her. That's my mom though so wtf...I'm stuck here.

Cliffs: Mom is a die hard Trump fan, wife is a Democrat and Mom cheered at Trump supporters in my car which angered my wife...more hurt than angered. Now idk how to proceed.

Double cliffs: Fuck all of this political bullshit I don't even care about any of it. Go away the lot of them!

lol at getting upset because someone doesnt politically agree with you. Sounds like your mom wanted to bother you both and you let her succeed.

This may or may not be applicable to your situation, but...

I had a Taiwanese co-worker a few years back, and her mother-in-law would occasionally come out to visit their family. Invariably, my co-worker would show up and vent about her in-law. They'd get into it about some real petty shit; cooking, shopping, dumb shit like that. So after I had enough of her bellyaching I finally asked her why would her in-law come out all this way and start shit when she's only going to be here for a short time? And then I followed it up with, why do you get so stressed about stupid shit you don't even really care about especially when your in-law is going to be leaving soon?

She said: "that's her way of letting me know that she doesn't think I'm good enough for her son."

I conceded that she had the right to be stressed.

When the female lizard brain starts marking territory and asserting dominance, it's never about the actual topic at hand.

Sounds like your problem, talk about sensitive. "OMG can you believe she wanted me to honk for the president, I'd rather die". Sounds like y'all should have a talk, sounds like some deep issues there that may destroy the family, just really really deep stuff, hope you guys can handle it and get through it maybe counseling ,I don't know, wow long road ahead. Lol.

This all over the fact that she wanted you to honk for her candidate, think about that for a minute man.

In closing, longtime lurker who enjoys your threads you seem like a good dude, so nothing personal on my part.

Back