Wide squat question

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 159002

A couple weeks ago I decided to make the change from squating with my feet shoulder-width apart to wide. Is there supposed to be any difference in the angle of my back (i.e. flatter or more upright)?

If I'm picturing it right, squatting with a wider stance will result in the knees coming forward less and a more horizontal back angle, relative to their positions in a narrower stance squat.

If I'm picturing it right, squatting with a wider stance will result in the knees coming forward less and a more horizontal back angle, relative to their positions in a narrower stance squat.

This can be the case, but it also depends upon bar position, as well as a lifter's leverages. Very generally speaking, usually the opposite happens--the wider a lifter's stance, the more the hips can rotate laterally and the more the knees can track out as opposed to forward. When this happens, the knees are brought closer to the hip flexors than with a narrower-stance squat. Imagine a wide-stance squat at its asymptote: a lifter is able to set their feet extremely wide, and they squat with their knees knees tracking directly out, so that there is 180* between the knees. The knees are, on a horizontal plane, at the same position as the hip flexors. In order to maintain your balance in this situation, a.) the bar would have to be high on the traps, and b.) the torso would have to be perfectly vertical.

Usually, though, lifters will be more upright with a wider stance than with a narrower one, assuming bar position remains the same.

This can be the case, but it also depends upon bar position, as well as a lifter's leverages. Very generally speaking, usually the opposite happens--the wider a lifter's stance, the more the hips can rotate laterally and the more the knees can track out as opposed to forward. When this happens, the knees are brought closer to the hip flexors than with a narrower-stance squat. Imagine a wide-stance squat at its asymptote: a lifter is able to set their feet extremely wide, and they squat with their knees knees tracking directly out, so that there is 180* between the knees. The knees are, on a horizontal plane, at the same position as the hip flexors. In order to maintain your balance in this situation, a.) the bar would have to be high on the traps, and b.) the torso would have to be perfectly vertical.

Usually, though, lifters will be more upright with a wider stance than with a narrower one, assuming bar position remains the same.

Ah, yes. The oft overlooked Zoidberg Squat.
zoidberg-11.gif

Neat info though. I actually widened my stance just this week with the results I noted (due to a recovering knee injury), but I guess there are going to be differences based on a host of factors.

Back