WI resident moving to IL, need help avoiding catch 22s and unintentionally breaking laws

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
So, long story short, Wife and I got jobs on opposite sides of the WI border. Her in Beloit, me in Rockford. I figured we'd just live in Beloit and I'd have a 30 minute commute as then it's easier on the taxes. Turns out, that unless buying a place and getting rammed by property taxes, it's actually a little cheaper in IL as state income tax is less than WI. Bigger reason we're looking at the IL side of the border, is Beloit is actually a pretty high crime area she's nervous about and I'm agreeing I wouldn't feel fully comfortable with her home alone at night when I'm away with the break in rate

Anyways, looking like moving to Roscoe or Rockton area and renting an apartment or duplex for a few years while paying off student loans. Trying to get ahead of things with the relatively lax gun laws in WI vs strict ones in IL. I just keep running into catch 22s with trying to stay by the books legal moving to Illinois and then switching my residency.

To my understanding, Illinois residents are not allowed to own or be in the possession of a gun without a FOID (Firearm Owner Identification) card. Non-residents can have a gun at home just fine tho if they have a ccw from their home state which I do. Non-residents cannot apply for or get a FOID card
-Hence, I'm fine when I move to IL as a WI resident to have my firearms, but once I become an IL resident, those guns are illegal while I wait for my application for a FOID card to be approved, which I can't apply for until I become an IL resident?!?!?

Also, as far as I can tell, outside of Chicago and Deerfield IL AR-15s and standard 30 round mags are still legal (as is the 17 round full sized mag for my handgun). Although, they're probably gonna get some California neutering laws the next big public shooting, but at the moment I believe everything is legal to own in that state outside of a few local ordinances, correct? So I'm fine to bring my AR across the border and have it in my apartment, not just my bolt rifle and pump shotgun

Small silver lining of becoming an IL resident as an IL worker is I can get my ccw there, which is also good for Wisconsin and MN (which I visit a lot), whereas living on WI side of the border I wouldn't be able to carry in IL no matter what as a non resident.

Last edited:
I’m in IL and I believe you’re understanding of the laws is accurate.
I wouldn’t put too much thought into the Deerfield and Chicago AR bans, that stuff has been limited to those areas. I wouldn’t worry about being in a legal grey area with your firearms either, as they turn around FOID cards pretty quickly now.

Back