Why'd you become a Conor fan?

I have every reason to like Conor...except I've been a huge MMA fan since the mid 90s, so I'm not.

After he punched an old man. I thought he was a true badass.

People's stances on Conor generally reveals alot about their identity as a fan. Conor was, at one time, considered the heir to GSP and the future of the sport. Dont believe me?

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/jack-slack-conor-mcgregor-is-the-future-of-mixed-martial-arts

He was known to only the most hardcore fans on this website and the UG when he was rising thru the ranks and made a major splash with his breakthrough performance against Buchinger, becoming a bonafide champ-champ; even getting a shout out from Rogan for his stellar performance. People were yearning for an explosive striker that would blend together karate and boxing in a futuristic way, be able to mix in takedowns and grappling in with it, have a KO power and also be a standout hype man on the mic; think of a GSP, Andy, chael, Brock chimera. Conor fulfilled all these criteria, and to make him even more a unicorn, he came from Ireland: the historic fight capital of the world and the country that earned the moniker "The Fightin' Irish".

If one goes back and looks at archived threads from Conor's cage warriors days, they will see a divide starting to form, which only amplified over time: it was the knowledgeable, tactical and technique orientated fans that liked him and on the other side, it was fans that just hated because other people were so high on the guy and they wanted him to fail. We saw this again with a guy like Lando, where he was incredibly impressive from a technique standpoint, super original, but the fact people like him made others 'hate' on him and want to see him fail for some type of schadenfreude. The fact he had such low class haters also prompted low class fans to jump on board, like the 14 year old gingers that thought he could legit beat Jon Jones and would get matching tattoos.

Obviously, as time went on, things started getting more complex with Conor's actions and shenanigans outside the cage, but the origins of it all go back to true fans vs true haters. You will find that almost all the names that were rooting against him from the beginning, said "he will never have a shot in the UFC" are the same ones that celebrate his losses today and take great delight in his perils (it's frightening tbh). I've no knowledge of a Conor hater that transformed in time, but I do know a few that aren't as radical as they once were as Conor Hating became mainstream and highly cringe, much like how many underground hardcore fans that like Conor from the beginning became less vocal as the face of his fans became 14 year old sh!t posters that said he would KO Jones.

He is an ugly Irish manlet who has a big mouth and is a bad example of a human being! There is nothing to like about him

The haters made me do it, lol. <Lmaoo>

Because he doesn’t take no for an answer.

From nearly all perspectives, he's the most exciting fighter to ever compete in the sport.

There's nothing remotely close to a Conor McGregor fight build up / event. It takes a super compelling match up or a 3 title fight card to get close.

I’m not. Because he’s overrated, and his fanboys are insufferable. Conor is a good fighter, an extremely accurate striker with good power. I enjoy his style.

He was a very good featherweight.
He’s maybe a Top 5 lightweight.
He’s fringe Top 10 at welterweight (if that).
And that’s it.

Jokes aside Conor does seem a bit more likeable lately, although it's too soon to know if it's an act.

He hasnt said anything negative about Khabib in a while right?

Even when he suspected Ali of "hacking" Usman's Twitter account he didnt really attack him in response.
how the fuck was Conor's persona ever an act? he would not be so authentic and consistent then. This is the key to his success. He has that aspiration of an Alpha and there is long nothing behind and maybe then some first loser second best. You just av to accept that he has a personality n you dun if you actually are puzzled by his business

how the fuck was Conor's persona ever an act? he would not be so authentic and consistent then. This is the key to his success. He has that aspiration of an Alpha and there is long nothing behind and maybe then some first loser second best. You just av to accept that he has a personality n you dun if you actually are puzzled by his business

Either his persona has changed or he's acting lately because he's not like he used to be, maybe Khabib humbled him or maybe he's genuinely trying to be more humble.

Like the Diamond said - he went from apologizing to nobody to apologizing to everybody.

People's stances on Conor generally reveals alot about their identity as a fan. Conor was, at one time, considered the heir to GSP and the future of the sport. Dont believe me?

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/jack-slack-conor-mcgregor-is-the-future-of-mixed-martial-arts

He was known to only the most hardcore fans on this website and the UG when he was rising thru the ranks and made a major splash with his breakthrough performance against Buchinger, becoming a bonafide champ-champ; even getting a shout out from Rogan for his stellar performance. People were yearning for an explosive striker that would blend together karate and boxing in a futuristic way, be able to mix in takedowns and grappling in with it, have a KO power and also be a standout hype man on the mic; think of a GSP, Andy, chael, Brock chimera. Conor fulfilled all these criteria, and to make him even more a unicorn, he came from Ireland: the historic fight capital of the world and the country that earned the moniker "The Fightin' Irish".

If one goes back and looks at archived threads from Conor's cage warriors days, they will see a divide starting to form, which only amplified over time: it was the knowledgeable, tactical and technique orientated fans that liked him and on the other side, it was fans that just hated because other people were so high on the guy and they wanted him to fail. We saw this again with a guy like Lando, where he was incredibly impressive from a technique standpoint, super original, but the fact people like him made others 'hate' on him and want to see him fail for some type of schadenfreude. The fact he had such low class haters also prompted low class fans to jump on board, like the 14 year old gingers that thought he could legit beat Jon Jones and would get matching tattoos.

Obviously, as time went on, things started getting more complex with Conor's actions and shenanigans outside the cage, but the origins of it all go back to true fans vs true haters. You will find that almost all the names that were rooting against him from the beginning, said "he will never have a shot in the UFC" are the same ones that celebrate his losses today and take great delight in his perils (it's frightening tbh). I've no knowledge of a Conor hater that transformed in time, but I do know a few that aren't as radical as they once were as Conor Hating became mainstream and highly cringe, much like how many underground hardcore fans that like Conor from the beginning became less vocal as the face of his fans became 14 year old sh!t posters that said he would KO Jones.

While you are not 100% wrong, going back to Cage Warriors as your basis for "true fans" being Conor fans and haters basically being noobs is a little disingenuous. That might have been true for a very short time, but by the time most people on Sherdog knew who he was, that script had completely flipped. Almost invariably Conor attracted a younger audience due to his demeanor, especially as people who had never even watched MMA started watching not as MMA fans, but as Conor fans.

Contrary to your narrative, most Conor haters became so not because they couldn't see his talent, but because they weren't 12 year olds obsessed with shit talk and brashness. His fans' constant reference to him being God and the GOAT (at levels completely unprecedented for an unaccomplished fighter) when he hadn't even had a top 10 win was a little bit of a dividing factor among people who might have otherwise embraced him. However, not all haters are unable to see how talented the fighter they hate really is. He is super talented, but immaturity attracts immaturity.

How did you manage to get dubs in the first month of your account, btw?

Last edited:
Either his persona has changed or he's acting lately because he's not like he used to be, maybe Khabib humbled him or maybe he's genuinely trying to be more humble.

Like the Diamond said - he went from apologizing to nobody to apologizing to everybody.
But calling 'em "little mouthy fools"{<Mcgoat} last Saturday is not much of an apology, is it.

But calling 'em little mouthy fools last Saturday is not much of an apology, is it.

He kept Khabib's name out of his mouth (trash-talk wise) and was gentle with Ali.

What gives?

He kept Khabib's name out of his mouth (trash-talk wise) and was gentle with Ali.

What gives?
fair point. but how long can one worry about sniffer. especially when there is so much high octane demolition to do at 170 and 155 and Khabib is not the half of it...

fair point. but how long can one worry about sniffer. especially when there is so much high octane demolition to do at 170 and 155 and Khabib is not the half of it...

He's one of only two titleholders in those divisions, not sure what u mean by "khabib is not the half of it"

He is an ugly Irish manlet who has a big mouth and is a bad example of a human being! There is nothing to like about him
the first thing you went to is "ugly" lol

do you judge every male fighter on their looks? cos what they look like is pretty fucking meaningless

The Mendes performance

then beating the above divisions champ in Alverez

He's one of only two titleholders in those divisions, not sure what u mean by "khabib is not the half of it"
I mean he is the most boring fighter on the roster. And he wouldd probly lose the rematch due to KO/TKO.

Back