Why would you take the last two rounds off like that?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Trifick, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Trifick Brown Belt

That's not how a challenger fights. I'm sorry. I get being tired, but come on. Those last ten seconds, Jon is trying to fight and Dominick is running away because he thinks he has it in the bag. You can't afford to fight like that unless you're already the champ. He deserved to lose just for that.

2. Pancake Sprawl WAR IGOR!!!11

in my opinion he gave the fight away by running the entire 5th rd. had he come out aggressive and pushing the pace, he could've landed something definitive on Jon like he did in the 1st rd, and if he had dropped Jon then the fight would've been sealed for him.

3. SuperNerd Off Season Mode.

Mixture of fatigue and desire to not get hit or choked, I'd guess.

4. clackers Purple Belt

He was tired because the first round he went for it and caused him to fatigue it was not good strategy by Reyes he won the first round but then the rest of the fight he had to fight in bursts . He didn't want to take the last two rounds off he was just tired and had to pace himself

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  5. dartradio Banned Banned

No UFC fighter in history can box at the pace Reyes was doing for 5 rounds, let alone against Jon Jones. Even Diaz who is a pillow puncher and smaller took round 4 off against Conor.

6. TheSpider Brown Belt

Reyes was gassed. He had no choice

7. Blood_Beard-BB- White Belt

Although I thought he won the fight overall, I'm not that upset because of what he did in the 5th.
    Dude had me almost punching the screen. Like come on this is the most important sporting moment of your life, and you sat back instead of digging deep?
    Easy for me to say, but I expect fighters to be able to go 5 rounds. Call me crazy.

Dude should channel Izzy "I'm ready to die"

8. ramair455 Purple Belt

Da LaHoya vs Trinidad. Oscar ran for the last 2rds thinking he had a nice lead.

remember the athletic commissions have old ass decrepit boxing judges.

- these judges dont like fighters backing up "sticking & moving"
    - they love ring generalship
    - love fighters that keep pressing forward
    - could give a shit about significant strike stats

9. OneManGang Brown Belt

No point flogging a dead horse. He was done. Exhausted and beaten up. He channeled all his energy into backpedaling and running away from the champion.
    A rematch is pointless. Reyes never came close to finishing Jones in the brief moments he had early in the fight.

10. Corrado Soprano Green Belt

Reyes was completely gassed. You ever been completely exhausted and tried to continue to do cardio? Yeah no easy and I forgot, he was getting punched and kicked...

11. Cylence Flying Arlovski Belt

Came here to say this. In a retrospective of that fight, Jim Lampley said "there are lots of ways that I wouldn't want to be Oscar de la Hoya. I wouldn't want to have to explain to myself from time to time, for the rest of my life, why I willfully gave away the biggest fight of my career."

I think that applies perfectly here.

12. blaseblah Steel Belt

He didn't take them off, he spent all his energy to win the first three rounds.

13. Doug Money Purple Belt

Getting up from the tds took everything out of him and put fear of getting tapped on the ground into him. He avoided being finished but didnt have the gas to finish

14. BooBoyMan Black Belt

Extremely easy thing to say when you're sitting on your ass watching lol. The guy fought for half an hour, nobody WANTS to lose rounds, he was just tired.

15. evergreenrider Hes behind the truck dumbass

Reyes lost that fight due to his timid nature in the championship rounds. It was his fight to seal, and he just couldn't do it

16. Skarr Brown Belt

I agree it was not a good strategy he didnt pace himself well...there could have also been an element of being in the biggest fight of his life and all the hype type of dump after that first round...but either way and all this aside....it should have been a winning strategy for him regardless if it wasnt a good one...he did enough to win....

this isnt pride where the end of the fight matters, the fight isnt judged as an overall thing, its round by round and taking time off in one or two rounds shouldnt have any bearing whatsoever on the 3 rounds he had already secured, thats what the rules are....I would and did prefer Pride rule set but ultimately I prefer that rules are followed as this is suppose to be a sport....

the ending of that fight left a very sour taste but it wasnt because of Reyes....

17. KID Yamamoto PREMIUM DYNAMITE

I don't think it was intentional lol. Reyes is 12-0 and pretty much had no gas. Its amazing how well he did.

18. faustian I AM NOT A MONSTER Platinum Member

I mean, why do they even fight the first 24 mins 50 secs anyways? Every championship fight should be 10 secs long

19. ventrue Silver Belt Platinum Member

He was exhausted, lol. He didn't take off the rounds by choice. He still won 3-2, imo

20. Only Here for Attachments Stipe Justice Warrior

It's pretty obvious he game-planned specifically to win a 3-2 decision.