Why would USADA test someone knowing the results wont be back before the fight?

This makes zero sense.

The tests are random and occur weekly. The cards happen so frequently that of course something like this will occur at some point.

Once again I want you to wrap your head around this... The tests are independent and seperate from the events...

You guys seem to not grasp the idea of USADA's job

Their main goal (and their only goal) is to test athletes under contract for potential PED violations all year round.

They have no care in the world when the athletes fight or if they are going to fight.

You guys seem to not grasp the idea of USADA's job

Their main goal (and their only goal) is to test athletes under contract for potential PED violations all year round.

They have no care in the world when the athletes fight or if they are going to fight.

that's how I understand it.

this is true. The thing is it's supposed to be a random test for fighters that are either in competition or out, isn't it? It's done regardless of if they have a fight on tap. Do I misunderstand?
Yeah, that's the way I understand it.

I'd imagine the more active you are as a fighter the more likely you are to get tested though, I think the guys who fail the eye test should given extra attention, it just makes sense.

USADA are starting to win the war, I for one am glad.

this is true. The thing is it's supposed to be a random test for fighters that are either in competition or out, isn't it? It's done regardless of if they have a fight on tap. Do I misunderstand?

No but he even failed the night of test too.

Blood tests take time and they have a lot of samples to get through.

Imagine the levels are just about detectable 1 day before fight, and not the day before (due to masking) and not the day of the fight (due to half life making levels drop below detectable)?

As soon as you say "delay the fight until the results come in", you ae effectively saying no to any more tests after this "final" one before the fight, meaning if the fuck up by the athlete occurs during this waiting period it might be missed if it becomes undetectable again

Example imagine if fight night is 1st August. Test takes 1 week. So today is last day you would test until the fight? And why bother then with pot fight if they also suffer from problem of being too late to stop the fight?

Yeah, that's the way I understand it.

I'd imagine the more active you are as a fighter the more likely you are to get tested though, I think the guys who fail the eye test should given extra attention, it just makes sense.

USADA are starting to win the war, I for one am glad.

me too. Can't say I haven't been briefly disappointed by a few of the results but I'd rather they do their thing than not.

The tests are random and occur weekly. The cards happen so frequently that of course something like this will occur at some point.

Once again I want you to wrap your head around this... The tests are independent and seperate from the events...
I get that 99% of the time but brock was a special case

No but he even failed the night of test too.

Blood tests take time and they have a lot of samples to get through.

Right. They're always tested before and after the fight. It's not like you see on NCIS or CSI where they have the results as soon as the drama has waned in that episode.

I get that 99% of the time but brock was a special case

Once again.. think... Brock was entered into the testing system and he was tested regardless of when the card took place.

NOW if you want suggest a conspiracy theory around the timing of announcing The Brock fight in general, which would lead to the random testing coming back late, and could have been planned that way if they knew Brock was high risk...

Ok...

Tests are not for a particular card. If you test randomly some will be back before that fight and others after.

Because having a window where the athletes know they aren't subject to testing is a very obvious hole in the anti-doping policy that would be exploited.

It's fucking astounding to me that this keeps needing to be explained to people over and over.

If you don't see it by now, as many times as it's been explained around here, then you clearly aren't interested in finding out.

Shit I'm a busy guy, And sherdog is the only mma site, shit even website I'm on.
Nerd, can you tell me why? Is it money or what is the expert consensus on sherdog.
I haven't seen these threads.

Because having a window where the athletes know they aren't subject to testing is a very obvious hole in the anti-doping policy that would be exploited.

And honestly what could they be taking that would give you such an edge on fight night, two weeks out? Also keep in mind they have to pass a post fight test. USADA should not be telling you about failed tests after the fight unless you failed a post fight test.

Shit I'm a busy guy, And sherdog is the only mma site, shit even website I'm on.
Nerd, can you tell me why? Is it money or what is the expert consensus on sherdog.
I haven't seen these threads.

Well there's this one from just over a week ago:

To try and explain this all...

First, we need to understand the fundemental difference between "samples" and "tests" or "test sessions" as the two are very different things

Fact 1: Lesnar provided 6 "Samples" over about a three week period

Now 5 of these samples came n his first week after signing the contract and my undstanding is this was over two "test sessions", so how does that work

Session 1

Urine sample - A single urine sample taken, this would be put through a general steroid screen, and in addition may be specifically tested for a number of things. Note, they do not test every single urine sample for every single thing, its simply not possible, there are thousands and thousands of things on the wada list, but it would have gone through a pretty thorough "menu" and the values would also have been added to a steroidal passport profile. So lets say, hpothetically this sample was analysed for a) basic steroidal analysis and b) specifically substances A to M

Blood Sample - for standard analysis - this would have been tested on a general level, hematocrit, reticulytes etc etc and also been used as the first entry in a blood passport profile

Blood Sample - for hgh analysis - this would be a dedicated blood sample for HGH analysis

Now see already we have 3 Samples which have been tested for a variety of things, is that in the strict sense of the word "3 tests".. well no, its 3 samples in a single "test session", which are then analysed for an awful lot of different substances and methods

Session 2

Urine Sample - as above, this would have been put through a general steroidal analysis, as well as testing for a selection of other things. This sample may or may not have been tested for the exact same things as in Session 1.. its unlikely. So lets say, hpothetically this sample was analysed for a) basic steroidal analysis and b) specifically substances N to R

Blood Sample - a second blood sample for general testing, as well as a second entry into the blood passport

Session 3

Single sample - The positive test date of 28/6 was single sample. It could have been either blood or urine, we dont know, and its very possible that this test was targeted based on prior tests.

But lets assume it was urine. In which case its only actually the THIRD urine sample collected, and its lets say hypothetically that this sample was analysed for a) basic steroidal analysis and b) specifically substances S to Z. If the substance detected was "Substance V" then this would be the first time his sample had been analysed for this particular substance.

By the strict letter, Brock didnt test positive on his "sixth test", he tested positive in "his third test session". It may well have been only his 3rd provided urine or blood sample.

And because they cant test every single urine sample for every single product known to man, its possible, that this was the first time his sample had been analysed for "substance x"

Pretty much any thread to do with USADA and or failed drug tests is going to have dim educating people.

#themoreyouknow

And honestly what could they be taking that would give you such an edge on fight night, two weeks out? Also keep in mind they have to pass a post fight test. USADA should not be telling you about failed tests after the fight unless you failed a post fight test.
Apparently Clomiphene.

Back