Why would the UFC have Jones/Teixeira in NJ on Superbowl Weekend?

Edgar Friendly

Taco Bell Heist Champion
@purple
Reaction score
For those of you who don't know already Jon Jones vs. Glover Teixeira is set for Superbowl weekend in Newark NJ at the Prudential Center. (source:http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...lover-teixeira-official-on-super-bowl-weekend)

Also, the Superbowl is going to be held the very next day, at the MetLife Stadium which is about 20 minutes away from the Prudential Center. (source: http://www.nynjsuperbowl.com/)

Google Maps View: http://i.imgur.com/Hr0Xisz.jpg

I was planning on going to this event, but I would have to stay at a hotel in NJ, and the prices and the traffic are going to be ridiculous. So I am probably not going to go. Do you think this is a good move, or a bad move by the UFC?

Fox is airing the Super Bowl and wanted the UFC to hold the Super Saturday event nearby.

But isnt this fight a PPV?
Whats that got to do with Fox?

Fox gives the UFC 100 million dollars a year. They can ask a few things. They're probably giving the UFC some extra money for it too.

Well there will already be so, so many people, media, celebes, athletes, etc in the area. Maybe those are the ones that will go to the event and locals. They will sell it out quickly, easily and get a bunch of hype from Fox ,etc. I dont see the prolblem.

Dana calls people like you and paying UFC fans fucking idiots. Do you think he gives a shit if some UFC regular joe fan cant find a hotel?

Interesting, I wonder how this is going to turn out. Thanks for the info.

I'm hoping it turns out well, since I live about 20 miles south of Prudential Center and plan on going.

But we'll probably have a blizzard that weekend, UFC 169 will be cancelled and the Super Bowl will be played the following Tuesday afternoon.

Well there will already be so, so many people, media, celebes, athletes, etc in the area. Maybe those are the ones that will go to the event and locals. They will sell it out quickly, easily and get a bunch of hype from Fox ,etc. I dont see the prolblem.

Dana calls people like you and paying UFC fans fucking idiots. Do you think he gives a shit if some UFC regular joe fan cant find a hotel?

I have a guest room and a home office where we could put an air mattress.

I'll start the bidding at $600 per night.

It's a good idea obviously. Theyre trying to capitalize on the testosterone-laden NFL fanbase.

I'm sure the UFC & Fox are hoping either New England or Baltimore makes the Super Bowl so they can do a million features on the Jones Brothers.

They generally get huge PPV buys during that week. Silva/Belfort was in the 700k range.

I have a guest room and a home office where we could put an air mattress.

I'll start the bidding at $600 per night.

haha boom. That sounds like a plan. You could maybe get some big UFC fans one or two nights. And then some football fanboy tailgaters w/o tickets also.

Fox gives the UFC 100 million dollars a year. They can ask a few things. They're probably giving the UFC some extra money for it too.

Nah, the UFC is dying! PPV numbers or nothing!!

They generally get huge PPV buys during that week. Silva/Belfort was in the 700k range.
Having the fight on that weekend isn't the issue, I just think they should have the fight somewhere else besides Jersey.

and why would Fox ask for a PPV card that wont be airing on their network?

Because the UFC and Fox are business partners. More exposure for the UFC will help Fox and Fox Sports.

Back