Why would Machida get a title shot?

well if he beat Hendo, then thats 3 top guys already isn't it?

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2010/11/rampage-vs-machida-fightmetric-report.html

Rampage landed more total strikes Lyoto landed more significant strikes in every round. This is because Lyoto was throwing damaging unchecked leg kicks while Rampage was stomping on Machida's toes. Taking out toe stomps and other uneffective shots Machida won the first by outstriking Rampage, lost the second by the takedown and dominated the third.

Oh, I didn't know we were just going to make shit up here. So you have decided that Lyotos strikes are all worth more than Rampages strikes, and are therefore worth more in the scoring? You were probably inside both of their heads, and you could tell which strikes were doing damage and which weren't, right?

If you are just going to ignore all the strikes Rampage threw, then of course Lyoto will win the round according to you. But the fact is, that those leg kicks weren't very dangerous. It was a 3 round fight, Rampage wasn't worried about checking them. His style is to absorb the kicks and focus on his striking output, not his opponents.

Rampage is too tough to score the fight based on effective striking only, you need to look at total output. Rampages total output was too high for Machida to win the round.

Oh, I didn't know we were just going to make shit up here. So you have decided that Lyotos strikes are all worth more than Rampages strikes, and are therefore worth more in the scoring? You were probably inside both of their heads, and you could tell which strikes were doing damage and which weren't, right?

If you are just going to ignore all the strikes Rampage threw, then of course Lyoto will win the round according to you. But the fact is, that those leg kicks weren't very dangerous. It was a 3 round fight, Rampage wasn't worried about checking them. His style is to absorb the kicks and focus on his striking output, not his opponents.

Rampage is too tough to score the fight based on effective striking only, you need to look at total output. Rampages total output was too high for Machida to win the round.

I'm not making anything up I posted only facts. You're the one claiming because Rampage is so tough he was more effective.

Facts are Lyoto landed more significant shots in round 1 and therefore out struck Rampage then dominated the 3rd. That is a fact. You thinking total strikes (including foot stomps, knees to the thigh etc) are worth more than clean punches and kicks is your opinion that you share with two judges. Those of us who actually appreciate real striking and the other judge feel that significant strikes outweigh total strikes. I don't decide what are significant strikes and what aren't and I didn't claim I did. Rampage not checking leg kicks isn't because he's tough its because he is unable to do it

Bull. Machida is without a doubt my favorite fighter, but Machida lost the fight against Rampage. He wasn't aggressive enough. Machida was great in the 3rd, but he lost the first 2 rounds fair and square. Machida learned from it, and is more aggressive now, but he definitely lost against Rampage.

You don't have to be agressive to win a fight. Fighting is not about being agressive. You can be as agressive as you want but that doesn't guarantee you'll land a single punch. I don't remember the fight very well but i remember thinking it was a pretty shitty decision.

That worked well for him in the Forrest fight.

Lyoto

the only people that have truly ever beaten machida are shogun and jones thats why, rampage did nothing but walk forward but like da speeit said its machidas fault for not doing what he did in the third every round. It was easy to see who the better fighter was when machida actually decided to fight

hes not making shit up, sherdog had it scored for machida, as well as many other sites, i dont see what rampage did other than stomp on his foot and walk forward and barely hit him with a glancing uppercut compared to being taken to school in the third

It could have something to do with Hendo previously being the #1 contender :rolleyes:

If you don't understand this reasoning, then you should just close your account.

From my perspective, seeing as Machida also is the one that has performed the best against Jones (besides Belfort possibly close to locking in a fluke submission) also speaks for Machida getting another shot.

I would have to say that I think Gustafsson should be closer to a title shot than anyone else. Machida has his losses, Hendo has one shot in a billion to beat Jones so it's just pointless, but Gustafsson has a good win streak and outclassed Shogun. As long as Gustafsson, Machida or DC fights Jones next I'm happy.

I love this revisionists that tries to re-write history...

...but facts always come back to knock them out.

Here are Rampage's quotes to Rogan after the fight:
Rampage acknowledged afterward that he didn't think he deserved the decision.

"Machida whooped my ass tonight," Rampage said afterward. "I considered that an ass whipping."

Rampage said he figured the judges must have been rewarding him for his aggressive style, but that he believes Machida deserved a rematch.

"I think that's what the judges were thinking," Rampage said. "I think it was so close it was unfair to Machida. Even if I don't want to, I have to give him a rematch."
Here it is, straight from Rampage's mouth, right after the fight!

"I know he won the last rounds. I do not know if I won the first two rounds or not"
Link for non-believers:
quotes: http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/11/21/rampage-jackson-beats-lyoto-machida-in-stunning-decision-at-ufc

Post-fight Interview: http://www.ufc.com/media/ufc-123-jackson-winner-interview

UFC 140 was announced October 6 and they fought December 10.
So Machida had 2 months to prepare for Jones.

http://www.mmaconvert.com/2011/10/06/dana-white-announces-jon-jones-vs-lyoto-machida-at-ufc-140/

... and you think everyone is just waiting around doing nothing to go to camp and train a fighter???

LOL!!!
it just shows how ignorant you are on the subject!

Machida had to contact everyone, check who's available and who's not, call alternates, etc.

Say it took (at least) 1-2 week to get everyone needed, book tickets & accomodations and to start training, he had about 1.5 months.
Given that the first month its just getting in shape.... yeah... I don't think he had enough time, dude...

Jones had already been preparing for Rashad, who had to pull out, while Machida took the fight as a fill in.

Your right.

2 months doesn't seem that short notice was all I was trying to say, I look forward to watching Machida get another title shot but hate the excuses for losses people tend to give for their favorite fighters.

1. He will have just beaten Hendo, winning two title eliminator fights in a row.

2. LHW is such a dumpster fire right now that there aren't any reasonable alternatives. You should be happy Jones will be fighting a 205er again.

Your right.

2 months doesn't seem that short notice was all I was trying to say, I look forward to watching Machida get another title shot but hate the excuses for loses people tend to give for their favorite fighters.

I won't disagree at all.

not sure if trolling...

but I'll bite

Lyoto was the CHAMP six fights ago

Don't forget thta

You don't lose all of your status of being a top 5 fighter with 2 losses and 4 wins

ALso, Lyoto beat Rampage and everybody knows it... EVEN RAMPAGE

Facts are Lyoto landed more significant shots in round 1 and therefore out struck Rampage then dominated the 3rd. That is a fact. You thinking total strikes (including foot stomps, knees to the thigh etc) are worth more than clean punches and kicks is your opinion that you share with two judges. Those of us who actually appreciate real striking and the other judge feel that significant strikes outweigh total strikes. I don't decide what are significant strikes and what aren't and I didn't claim I did. Rampage not checking leg kicks isn't because he's tough its because he is unable to do it

Lyoto only landed 4 clean kicks to Rampages legs. Many of the strikes you see on Fightmetric for Lyoto are actually knees to the high and grazing kicks that barely landed.

Joe Rogan comments at 3:45 of the first round "Interesting he is landing with the foot, not with the shin, he is not really committing to it and throwing that big power inside leg kick." This is key to explaining the round to you guys, because you are giving Lyoto MUCH more credit for ALL of his leg kicks, and then not counting Rampages strikes at all.

The only strikes which were really significant in the first, were the first 2 leg kicks from Lyoto in the first minute of the fight. Rampage wasn't warmed up and not able to fully check them in time. The rest of the strikes from BOTH fighters are not that significant.

Rampage outlands Lyoto the entire time in the clinch.

Rampage lands:
10 Clean punches to the ribs/body.
5 foot stomps.
6 knees to the thighs/legs.
2 Elbows to the thigh.
1 clean punch to the face.
1 Glancing uppercut

Machida lands:
7 kicks to the legs, 4 landed fairly clean, 3 were glancing or barely touching with the toes.
6 knees to thighs/legs.
1 Kick to the body.

The rest of their strikes missed or were so insignificantly glancing they aren't worth mentioning. Lets go ahead and wipe out the knees to the thighs/legs from in the clinch. Those strikes were pretty even both fighters, so we can consider that a wash.

Next we will get rid of that kick to the body, and give up 3 punches to the body.

Next we will get rid of the 3 glancing kicks for Machida, and give up the 5 footstomps.

Machida 6 knees to thigh = Rampage 6 knees to thigh
Machida kick to the body = Rampage 3 punches to the body
Machida 3 glancing kicks = Rampage 5 footstomps.

Machida has 4 solid leg kicks
Rampage has 7 punches to the body, 1 glancing uppercut, 1 glancing straight punch, 2 elbows to the thigh.

So you have to weigh those 4 leg kicks more than 11 strikes by Rampage. Rampages punches to the body were short, but they were landing clean and hard.

The best you can do I think is say it was a draw in the striking. But having just watched the fight again, I would actually even give the octagon control to Rampage for holding Machida against the fence in the clinch so much. Rampage wasn't chasing Lyoto very much in the first round, he was circling around most of the time, and held Lyoto against the fence for a large portion of the round.

And Rampages aggression was very effective. He was not getting struck when he was being aggressive. Rampage was only getting struck by the kicks when he was being non-aggressive.

You have to weigh the 4 clean leg kicks Lyoto landed VERY heavily. And at least 2 of those only landed with the toes.

Back