Why would anyone wear anything but a light gi?

I feel like the best 19th century okinawan peasant outfit to use for competition would be the thickest, stiffest judogi you can find. Something that behaves more like a suit of platemail than a piece of fabric.

Then people will blow their hands out trying to grip you, and be like a length of rebar on top.

I wish hck would make gis like they used to in the 00. Those gis were unbreakable. I gave mine to a guy I train with. He still wears the top. It's starting to fray a little bit but I'm proud of that gi.

I loved the feel of a heavy gi. I have some medium and light gis. With those light gis it feels like they are going to rip. Just doesn't feel right.

My 2 HSU double weave judo gis lasted 4 years of 8x week training, 3 years stowed away and 1 year going 4x a week. Felt like a suit of armor but can't match the durability. But when they went...they went fast.

I started training BJJ about 8 years ago wearing some heavier gis, including a HCK that was probably over 5 pounds. When it got sweaty after a few rolls, it weighed considerably more. Now that I've had a few years of experience under my belt, I am gradually switching to all light weight gis. Right now, most of my gis are around 2 pounds.

I understand the gi is a personal choice. But generally, everyone will want the least restrictive gi. Basketball and football players want lighter shoes and cleats so they can run faster and jump higher. Professional cyclists want their bikes as light as possible so they can ride faster and longer. And the list goes on and on... Similarly, If I'm rolling or competing, I want skill to be the determining factor, not whether someone was too tired half way into the tournament because he was wearing a 5 pound gi. In training, I can get longer and better quality training if I'm wearing a light gi, since I'm not completely drained after a few rounds of hard rolling.

So that brings to my question, why do people prefer these heavier gis? Do they last longer? I roll pretty hard and I've never even come close to ripping a gi. And even if I did rip one, I wouldn't hesitate to spend $150 on a gi that'll last me years.

Do they feel better? I've had double weaves, gold weaves, rip stop, etc. I haven't found any one of them to be vastly superior to another.

So what is it? Why do you willingly carry extra weight when you roll?
why wear gi at all. why do people train with extra weights? ankle weights wrist weight vest weight. It makes it harder forcing you to train harder giving you harder pay off.

Look up Rock Lee from Naruto. That guy trains with 3000 LB weights on him.

I honestly don't give a Nate Diaz and just wear whatever and train.

I like a thick gi when its cold weather, light gi for spring and summer

When it comes to mobility cut above gi, i have never bought a BJJ gi because im a broad shouldered guy and they fit me pretty tight, and i dont like being constrained by the gi, i want some room under the gi.

As for weight, its like 2 pounds distributed evenly along the body, the fabric quality is far more important in terms of heat and the cut is more important in terms of mobility. Mizuno keiko is my favorite in hot days and Mizuno shiai is my favorite in cold days.

I had a supreme that was amazing but someone in my house decided it was getting too gray and basically destroyed it with chlorine.

Back