Why would anyone wear anything but a light gi?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by RuDOWN4It, Feb 25, 2016.

1. RuDOWN4It

RuDOWN4It Brown Belt

I started training BJJ about 8 years ago wearing some heavier gis, including a HCK that was probably over 5 pounds. When it got sweaty after a few rolls, it weighed considerably more. Now that I've had a few years of experience under my belt, I am gradually switching to all light weight gis. Right now, most of my gis are around 2 pounds.

I understand the gi is a personal choice. But generally, everyone will want the least restrictive gi. Basketball and football players want lighter shoes and cleats so they can run faster and jump higher. Professional cyclists want their bikes as light as possible so they can ride faster and longer. And the list goes on and on... Similarly, If I'm rolling or competing, I want skill to be the determining factor, not whether someone was too tired half way into the tournament because he was wearing a 5 pound gi. In training, I can get longer and better quality training if I'm wearing a light gi, since I'm not completely drained after a few rounds of hard rolling.

So that brings to my question, why do people prefer these heavier gis? Do they last longer? I roll pretty hard and I've never even come close to ripping a gi. And even if I did rip one, I wouldn't hesitate to spend $150 on a gi that'll last me years.

Do they feel better? I've had double weaves, gold weaves, rip stop, etc. I haven't found any one of them to be vastly superior to another.

So what is it? Why do you willingly carry extra weight when you roll?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  2. Thrawn33

Thrawn33 JUST BLEED Belt

Because I'm not a bitch?

Rod1, Badger67, Dogstarman and 5 others like this.
  3. RuDOWN4It

RuDOWN4It Brown Belt

You are such a tough bad ass. I wish I was more like you.

vodkaBearSnow and biscuitsbrah like this.
  4. berimBOWLoh

berimBOWLoh Silver Belt

the longer i train, the less i care about Gi's. if its clean, its pretty damn legit. i love Padilla and Sons and they are thick but ive had a couple for over 5 years and only minor wear and tear. my light gis usually dont last like that.

i just want Gis that will last, endure regular washes and not stink. If they have those qualities im sold but truthfully most dont.

vodkaBearSnow likes this.
  5. JustTheTip

JustTheTip Green Belt

1.) Thicker gis often last longer.
    2.) Many people believe thicker gis aid conditioning.
    3.) Thicker gis are harder to grab.

DoctorTaco likes this.
  6. throwboes

throwboes Blue Belt

I don't mind a heavy top so much. The lightweight gi tops usually have lapels that are too flimsy and easy for your opponent to get a death grip on. But with pants, I agree 100%. The lighter the better. I prefer ripstop pants but a nice 12 oz cotton pants (like Shoyoroll makes for most of the models) is fine by me. I had a Manto gi that had thick pants. I hated that thing. My school gi is the same way. Thick ass pants. They feel like I'm rolling in wet jeans by the end of class. I wound up giving away my Manto and mix matching pants for my school gi.

Jiu jitsu already feels very constricting, wearing restricting clothing just compounds the problem. But some people do prefer it. I've had teammates tell they like thick gi's. I guess the are willing to give up mobility (or maybe they don't feel like they lose any mobility) for wearing a harder to grip gi.

vodkaBearSnow likes this.
  7. Thrawn33

Thrawn33 JUST BLEED Belt

See below.

|
    V

Amen.

6 years of Judo in a couple of cheap double weaves, got a nice Mizuno as a going away gift. Yeah it's high dollar (and not ragged) but in my noob BJJ time, I don't notice any loss in mobility from the gi, just the colored belts on top of me after I get swept.

A gi means fuck all.

8. AK Gerard

AK Gerard Yellow Belt

By that same logic, wouldn't you build your endurance by constantly wearing heavy gis? Just a thought...
    Personally, as someone else has said, so much as it's clean, it's good.

9. RuDOWN4It

RuDOWN4It Brown Belt

Not really. If I wore my HCK, I can probably roll 4 mediocre rounds with rest in between. If I wear my light gi, I can easily do 6 intense rounds. I'd rather be tired out because I got extra training in than to gas out after 4 slow rounds because I was restricted in a heavy gi. But to each his own.

10. Jonas g33k

Jonas g33k Blue Belt

It's not a matter of thickness but of quality. I have an Isami double weave that I wear often and it's really confortable. Yes, it is not a light gi, but if it feels good, it feels good. Also I guess people from colder area would prefer thicker gi.

11. Kirra

Kirra Orange Belt

If your gi makes you tired, then you really need to up your conditioning.

Dogstarman, FatherSauce and JMG1134 like this.
  12. nodferatu

nodferatu Drilling in the south

I'm curious what gis you have that are around 2 pounds.

13. RuDOWN4It

RuDOWN4It Brown Belt

My newest gi that I just started wearing is the Flow Kimono Air. I believe it's listed on their website at 2 pounds 11 oz.

14. JMG1134

JMG1134 Orange Belt

Pretty much what I was thinking.

15. HtomSirveaux

HtomSirveaux Blue Belt

Lol what. It's an extra 2 or 3 pounds of cloth, not a fucking weight vest.

FatherSauce likes this.
  16. Forceof1

Forceof1 Blue Belt

We have a guy who likes super light, rip stop gi tops.

I hate grabbing it- feels like I'm going to tear right through it. Also looks like I'd tried to saw his neck off after a bow and arrow choke.

I don't need an armor gi, but I just prefer a decent single or pearl weave that had some heft to it while rolling.

Light, rip stop pants are fine.

Also agree that it shouldn't impact your cardio that much. I'll grant you may sweat more, but hydrate accordingly.

17. 71Fish

71Fish Orange Belt

I agree about the Padilla and Sons gi. very well constructed and priced right.

As to the OP, with a thick gi it's harder to get a grip and choke someone. Other than that, I don't know what the advantage is other than they look nicer.

18. T-Bone

T-Bone Banned 2X but still here Double Yellow Card

Same principle as training with heavy boxing gloves. But fighting with lighter gloves. No?

Heavy gi +sweat = heavier gi. Body becomes conditioned to that weight. In competition, wear a light gi an move like lightening.

Am I wrong? I am speculating.

-T

19. the heed

the heed Look at the size of that boy's heed.

seen many people do this for tournaments and makes sense.

I prefer thicker gis because it feels harder to grab. Is it harder to grab in reality? Probably doesn't really matter much, but its what I like.

At the end of the day, that's what matters.

And like people said, if the weight of the gi is impacting your conditioning you should think about either getting in better shape or go pick another martial art. I hear kung fu has nice light party boy outfits.

T-Bone likes this.
  20. anaconda

anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I used to feel the same way. I've been training for just about 10 years. I just bought an Origin gi, though, and man is it awesome. Especially the pants. Generally I think most gis are the same (and most are made in the same factories) but origin really does have something different.

To the OP, gis that are too light are way too easy to grab and hard to break grips on. That's the biggest downside. And some light gis tend to stretch, making it impossible to break sleeve grips.