Why won’t Jones fight Miocic?

Do you even pay attention?

Reyes, Walker, Costa now

I'm leaving a few out...there's a couple foreign guys too
Costa is a MW -- no, he won't be moving to LHW just because CSAC recommended it.
Walker is a completely untested fighter. We actually have no idea if he's any good.
I like Reyes, but many people think he lost to Volkan, and Volkan is actually all that good.

LHW is garbage, and has been for years.

Walker and Reyes are fringe upcoming contenders that no one really gives a chance. I happen to like both but that’s not a legacy fight for Jon by any means and he knows it, we all know it. It would be too easy for him to take the fight with Stipe and it automatically be the biggest fight of the year, but won’t happen.

Costa got told by the CSAC that he should go to 205 because the weight cut % is too much for their liking, he said nah
Jon isn't taking a risk for the same purses and status of staying in his division and cleaning it up for awhile longer.

It's not that complicated. You keep the gravy train going and let that heavyweight fight bake in the oven

Stipe isn't the right opponent. He's bland and nobody cares. Tim fucking Sylvia was more popular.

He's going to pick the right one. Unless he doesn't see the game in this way....it's not common for mma guys to play that long game like the ol boxers

Costa is a MW -- no, he won't be moving to LHW just because CSAC recommended it.
Walker is a completely untested fighter. We actually have no idea if he's any good.
I like Reyes, but many people think he lost to Volkan, and Volkan is actually all that good.

LHW is garbage, and has been for years.
Light heavyweight is a top 5 division

Fight me

Because he doesn't like that sweet chin music, he knows he would get KOed by Stipe

If he won he'd have to defend or vacate with Ngannou next in line. Fark dat!

Seriously, the guy has nothing left to prove in his division and is a natural heavyweight anyway. This fight is legacy, this fight is way more money, this belt is way more prestige... there are so many reasons he should be asking for it, you know Stipe would take the fight in a heartbeat, yet jon shows no interest and remains in his stagnant division.

WHY?

<209Bitch>

Jones has openly stated on numerous occasions that he doesn't think that he's suited for the division. If he can make weight easily well into his 30s, who fucking cares?

It should be obvious that Stipe and Ngannou are bad stylistic match ups for him.

Does anybody really want to see him move up after his last fight?

Randy Couture and Mirko Cro Cop fought at that weight, won titles and didn’t make excuses.

You trying to make a case that Jones would be some tiny heavy weight?
<{walkerwhut}>

Cro Cop is a natural HW, and Couture dropped down to 205 when it suited him.

Do you even pay attention?

Reyes, Walker, Costa now

I'm leaving a few out...there's a couple foreign guys too

Yes, there are new fighters coming up, but that doesn't automatically make them great. We already saw Reyes struggling vs Volkan, and Reyes might be the best prospect of all of them.

Jones has openly stated on numerous occasions that he doesn't think that he's suited for the division. If he can make weight easily well into his 30s, who fucking cares?

It should be obvious that Stipe and Ngannou are bad stylistic match ups for him.

Does anybody really want to see him move up after his last fight?

Cro Cop is a natural HW, and Couture dropped down to 205 when it suited him.
Prime Cro cop entered his fights weighing the same as Jones does when he enters the octagon against a LHW.

Jones is taller and longer, and weighs the same, yet somehow Cro Cop is a natural HW and Jones is not? Wtf?
<Dylan>

He ducked HWs all his life even before USADA.

giphy.gif

Can't duck someone not in your weight division. He was willing to fight any HW that went down to LHW.

Why doesn't he go up to HW? Because he knows his chances of losing are higher at HW than at LHW. But that doesn't make it ducking, anymore than his not challenging a boxing champ to a boxing match means he's ducking that boxing champ. Ducking means a champion not giving a worthy contender a title shot. It doesn't mean not going out of your division or sport ( and yes some people say you're ducking if you don't go out of your sport, for instance boxing champs are sometimes accused of ducking MMA) to fight someone a fan thinks you should fight.

Prime Cro cop entered his fights weighing the same as Jones does when he enters the octagon against a LHW.

Jones is taller and longer, and weighs the same, yet somehow Cro Cop is a natural HW and Jones is not? Wtf?
<Dylan>
Mirko got balls, Jones not so much

Cormier is way shorter than Jones and yet is willing to fight at HW and has actually won against good fighters at HW if he can do it I don't know why Jones won't try

Cormier is way shorter than Jones and yet is willing to fight at HW and has actually won against good fighters at HW if he can do it I don't know why Jones won't try

And yet Jones has beaten DC a few times except one overturn. I can see Jones up with the heavyweights definitely.

At least GSP fought Bisping. I’d be happy to see Jones vs Black Beast or even Alexei Oleinik.
I don't think Jones will even bother moving to HW if it's not for the title. It would be a super fight if it was with HW champion, and that means $$$$. Anybody else at HW would be taking an unnessary chance in my opinion.:)

He isn't old enough yet.

They don't let Stipe fight anyone under retirement age these days.

He doesn't want his ridiculous reach advantage to be diminished, simple as that.
He also knows that he can't rely too much on his chin against the heavy hitters (basically every fighter at HW).

Take away bones size advantage and he's not left with much else besides his cheap ass knee kicks and ineffective random strikes. He is not one to outstrike ppl his size because if you watch him fight, he isn't a reactive fighter that can slip and counter. The only ppl close to his size weren't really susceptible to his takedowns either. Not saying he's a bad fighter but without size, he's average at best

Last edited:
Isn't DC heavier than Jones? And always was, even when he fought at 205?

I miss the days when people staying in their division wasn’t cause for a shitshow

I miss the days when people staying in their division wasn’t cause for a shitshow
And I miss the days when guys that were walking around at over 220 lbs, didn't starve themselves to fight for a less prestigious title.

Take away bones size advantage and he's not left with much else besides his cheap ass knee kicks and ineffective random strikes. He is not one to outstrike ppl his size because if you watch him fight, he isn't a reactive fighter that can slip and counter. The only ppl close to his size weren't really susceptible to his takedowns either. Not saying he's a bad fighter but without size, he's average at best
I wouldn't say he'd be average, but he definitely relies a lot on his reach. With that reach it's pretty much enough to be good at linear kicks to the knee or body.. yet some people still swagger about him being such a good striker. Sure, his striking works damn good, but as soon as he's facing a striker with a similar/close reach an a good TDD, he's in for a very bad surprise.

Back