Why "Winning before they got KO'd" isn't an excuse

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by EXOICHO, Oct 18, 2019.

1. EXOICHO

EXOICHO Brown Belt

Lots of people explain that Weidman has looked amazing in all of his fights before getting KO'd. Then they're met with trolls replying "oh, so he was winning before he lost" thinking it makes them mega intelligent.

But the reason people point this out is to show that the skillset is still there. There are adjustments Weidman needs to make, for sure, but overall, on a technical level, he still has shown the potential to be the champion in every single one of his losses.

Rockhold everybody knwos he pulled a chael sonnen in a close fight that cost it for him.

Jacare he was showing a really solid jab in and showing top level footwork.

Romero he was picking apart before the explosive KO.

All of these he's demonstrated he still has the skillset, he just needs to be more mindful of his defense.

Oh yeah he choked out Kelvin btw, who almost beat Adesanya in a decision loss. But when WEIDMAN beat him, he was just a "bloated welterweight".

2. Threetrees

Threetrees Well Actually

When Weidman dominates tonight the haters will bend the knee

as is tradition

suck it @Tito’s Juice Box

3. Martialbeef

Martialbeef Brown Belt

4. Thread

Thread Im Da Best Mayne

At the end of the day, the W counts. Doesn't matter how well they were doing prior to that W

5. ThoseAreMyShoes

ThoseAreMyShoes Green Belt

Weidmans problem is that he's lost his power.

Can't get the respect of opponents because he can't hurt them.

6. BJpencil

BJpencil Purple Belt

Some of that is true. He seems like a different fighter since USADA. He's not dominating people like he did and he's lost his explosiveness. I think he gets KO'd tonight.

7. EXOICHO

EXOICHO Brown Belt

nobody is saying otherwise though

When people say he was winning they're saying he still IS relevant. look at how good he looks technically.

Paulie Walnuts likes this.
  8. Regal Boy

Regal Boy Blue Belt

Most MMA fans have some of the lowest IQ's out of anyone. I really believe that the average IQ of the average fan is about 92.

Mohawk Banditó likes this.
  9. Only Here for Attachments

Only Here for Attachments Stipe Justice Warrior

That's a myth. It was 1-1 going into the third and the momentum was in Yoel's favor

10. The 90's Rulez

The 90's Rulez Killer Cub Platinum Member

The win of course counts but you're right in regards to this for sure.

Look at Mike Perry with Luque for example, we talk about that shot to the nose "Was it the thing that turned the fight" and there's a whole debate there because Mike was winning the fight previously.

You can have the better fighter getting KO'd by either a lucky punch or even a good calculated punch or submission and they could have still been the better fighter in the fight, despite the loss.

I get what you mean :)

11. WhiteMousse

WhiteMousse Brown Belt

Think you're being a little generous there. We got two more months until Christmas stop being so nice

12. Thread

Thread Im Da Best Mayne

<Fedor23>

13. EXOICHO

EXOICHO Brown Belt

it's not even to say he's the better fighter, just to dispel that he's washed up

he's still having extreme success against top 5 guys.

markg171 likes this.
  14. RVCA

RVCA Blue Belt

He wasn't "picking Romero apart" lmao

He barely won the 1st rd with a takedown that Romero got up from instantly, and Ronero absolutely ragdolled him in the 2nd rd and Weidman was gassed already

And Jacare was punishing him with body shots and wore down his chin before KOing him

pbateman, Gamer2k4, Bubba Kid and 4 others like this.
  15. usernamee

usernamee Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Pretty sure nobody that has typed "oh, so he was winning before he lost" was thinkning it made them look mega intelligent.

16. The 90's Rulez

The 90's Rulez Killer Cub Platinum Member

Either way it still stands, Mike Perry in that fight was winning the fight but yet people could knock him and say he's not good or whatever cause he lost the fight.

Is this more about Weidman getting the shit in this regard? As I hear you but it happens to so many, it's just what people do to discredit a fighter.

I find it happens with Al Iaquinta, he lost to Cowboy and then people will say "Cowboy is a journeyman" to discredit Al even more when we all know Cowboy is no joke and it was a reach problem Al came across, which we then saw in the Hooker fight too that Al still needs to work on his game plan to get around those kind of fights but I get what you mean.

There's loads of examples like this, I can't think off the top of my head but one of the best things that comes to me is the "You're only as good as your last fight" sentiment, so why is when you get people like Anthony Smith who in his last fight finished Gus in the 4th round AND won the FOTN bonus yet people will use the Jones fight to reflect on Smith and ignore his last fight, so basically the "Only as good as your last fight" sentiment only stands when it suits them to knock a guy for his loss but when he wins and gets FOTN bonus it doesn't apply and they'll STILL go back to how bad he was in the Jones fight, they use what they want to fit their narrative.

It's just what people do to knock people but I don't see the point in it :)

17. beastman

beastman Silver Belt

We're slightly smarter than pro wrestling fans

18. Th3Sav4ge

Th3Sav4ge "What the fuck is happening!?"

it depends the context. if you want to say weidman is still good and not done yet based on his performances even in defeat, then its all fine and i 100% agree.

if you want to say jacare , yole, mousasi ,luke got lucky, then no dice.

EXOICHO, Gamer2k4 and kibz like this.
  19. markg171

markg171 Silver Belt

{<huh}

He hurt Jacare numerous times and dropped him. His power and striking looked better than ever last we saw him.

Jacare doesn't get enough credit for that win as people are too busy trying to shit on Chris.

ortizgnp likes this.
  20. j18lee

j18lee Brown Belt

I'm saying otherwise, of course it matters how fighters do prior to winning or losing.

Why do you think some people get rematches (immediate or delayed)? It has to do with how they fought before they got KO'd. Lesnar got subbed by Mir. Did it matter that Lesnar was pounding on Mir prior to that? Of course it does. That set up a big rematch.

Lesnar got his ass handed to him by Cain the entire fight. Of course it mattered how he lost. That's why no one wanted to see a rematch.

It absolutely matters how people win or lose. That determines how fighter's skills and future prospects are evaluated. That determines when/if they get a rematch. It determines how much money they will earn or if they will headline. The manner Nate Diaz lost to McGregor absolutely matters, not just the L. That's why he's so popular now.

Matt Hamill's W over Jon Jones is what counts at the end of the day? No, not really.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019