Why were so many experts so wrong about JDS v Cain?

Because he has great striking and TDD which makes a bad matchup for Cain in theory. No one thought Cain would beat him standing.

Why were they so wrong the first time when they picked Cain?

The shit that gets spewed over this fight is hilarious. You'd think the only fight that happened was the one where Cain wins. Last time I checked, he got KTFO in under a minute before that.....

No doubt Cain is the better fighter right, but anyone who questions the people that picked JDS are stupid and have no sense of logic whatsoever. The fact that JDS survived against Cains beatdown proves this. (his TDD, heart, chin are some of the best in the sport)

Tldr, but I have to agree with the thread title. As a JDS fan, I knew Cain would win by decision, without a doubt.

The really comical part is many of them called Cain the 1st time. Personally, I had JDS both times, and if they were to have an instant rematch I'd take him again. My opinion

Me too. I will always say that it is a tough fight to call though. Cain vs JDS is the #1 vs #2.

he was meant to be the GOAT at HW. lol. just lol.

JDS got tagged in the first round and was never the same. Sort of like how Cain got tagged in their first fight and got KO'd. To state that the result of the second fight proves anything other than there will be a third fight is absurd. Each guy has one win. I am looking forward to the third fight.

Clearly TS started a thinly veiled JDS sucks thread. How ... original.

experts? hahah

it was a toss up fight - but whoever wins the last fight will be touted as the obvious choice in the next matchup - standard lemming behavior

really is puzzling why many experts picked the guy who has been dominant and who ko'd his opponent in the first round the first time they fought. i don't understand. somebody splain please. why? why???

What so, because you guessed it right, you're awesome now and us who thought JDS would win are stupid? There is no way of knowing who will win for sure in MMA as it can change instantly. People thought (and I can't say that enough) that JDS will won because of good TDD and of cause, he's HW champ. Its an opinion my friend.

Too many ppl were underestimating Cain. There were ppl acting like he didn't have a prayer. That's just how fickle mma fans are. One moment you're the best, the next you have no chance in hell. Sometimes injuries do make a big difference (yes I know JDS was injured too) & sometimes guys do get "caught" (gsp-serra) but sherdoggers always say "oh, he's just making excuses". In Emma, anything can and does happen, doesn't mean the other guy is a bum w/ no chance.

The gambling guys i pay attention to either bet on Cain or not at all

I was actually adamant that not only would Cain beat JDS, he would both outstrike him and outwrestle him.

I put my money on it too. Most "expert" gamblers barely break even.

I honestly didn't expect JDS to gas so fast and thought he would have a better gameplan than trying to hop around like a ballerina. While he did escape a large majority of Cain's takedowns, it was obvious how taxing it was on his cardio. I realized by the midpoint of round 2 that JDS just didn't have the gas in the tank to bring it home. I have a ton of respect for both of them for enduring such a grueling fight, as joe rogan would put, "A War of Attrition". I had hoped he would have trained on his back more and welcomed the takedowns so he wouldn't have to burn so much energy fighting them off. Of course he knows the fans want to watch them bang and he is very emotionally connected to his fans so he probably tried to fight on the feet for that reason. Cain brought the better gameplan and took home the title. No point in complaining or harassing others for their opinions going into the fight anymore. I hope JDS learned a lot from the experience and uses it to his advantage in his future endeavors.

I favored JDS slightly. What took me by surprise was how concerned JDS was with avoiding take downs, much to the dismay of his brain by route of his chin. I thought JDS would be more confident in defending the take downs and as such wouldn't drop his hands to the degree that he did. Nonetheless, I expect an interesting rematch as JDS will learn from this defeat.

Now all that being said I think CV, instead of JDS, is holding the belt for Daniel Cormier assuming DC and CV will fight. Daniel won't give two you know whats about Cain's wrestling.

What a stupid thread. If they fought 100 times it'd probably be 50/50 - maybe 60/40 Cain. They are both fantastic fighters. JDS was tired before the end of round 1 and he still hung in there for the entire 25 minutes against someone as good as Cain and kept getting up over and over again... crazy heart. Cain was just the better man and was absolutely relentless bell to bell. We'll probably get to see them fight a couple more times and I'm sure plenty of people will be wrong on their picks yet again.

I was actually adamant that not only would Cain beat JDS, he would both outstrike him and outwrestle him.

I put my money on it too. Most "expert" gamblers barely break even.

What about in their first fight? Did you pick JDS by KO rd 1 and bet on that?

This is pure hindsight. JDS had shown to be very difficult to take down, and when taken down, had shown an amazing ability to get back to his feet.

Easy : 1st fight was a fluke. Cain was injured, was standing still flat footed and got caught by an illegal punch behind the head which would set anyone off balance.
2nd fight was just how it was supposed to happen with Cain fighting with his usual style.
Only thing is all the idiots suddently believed JDS being lucky in the 1st fight and beating Mir suddently meant JDS was better than Cain.

Whilst its easy to laugh in retrospect, there was no shortage of paid pundits and perhaps a little less lauded ones in the land of resident og poster or internet gambling guru, who were so damn sure that cain was going to get ktfo. again.

Cain-JDS.jpg

jds, whilst being extremely efficient in what he does, hadnt fought too many top mma wrestlers. and no carwin doesnt count.

indeed, cain had all the attributes in heinsight to destroy a two point striker with relatively untested defensive boxing at that level, and a worrying belief in his own promotional material. whilst its obvious jds is no art jimmerson, he had never demonstrated offensive prowess in wrestling, kicking or bjj.

all of this leaves a punchers chance against a guy who hed already caught once that way, and who had spent the best part of a year training against a repeat.

full marks do go to cain for continuing to evolve as a fighter, but jds in a lot of his fights had been stretched to places where any thinking observer would recognise, cain would excell beyond.

going however long he went against mir and carwin, without the magic bullet punch, may not have represented a threat in itself. neither does failing to repeat what arlovski did in putting away nelson. but the differance is that cain, left alive for that long would be a nightmare.

as it was cain didnt need to wait out the gas tank. he took the wheel and destroyed the "mystique" in one round.

why do so many people talk with such certainty about mma fights and then are so very wrong?

special mention to greg savage who called it right. i had cain too, but no i didnt pull the trigger and bet on him, so more fool me for listening to the experts.

this is a stupid thread.

Experts did not "get it wrong".

Most play the odds.

Cain was caught multiple times by strikers (i.e. Cheick Kongo) and Junior was at the top of the food chain amongst the strikers.

"Experts" as you noted work with perception, previous encounters and what they "think" both fighters improved up until that fight.

Sam way as Cain improved his stricking, Junior could have improved his Cardio.

His TDD was great, and continued to be so (He defended a lot and when taken down came back up each time).

Obviously this is MMA. Anything can happen.

For you to treat like the first KO was a fluke shows how dumb you are and how stupidly biased is this thread.

"I had cain"
yeah, right. Everyone had. It is a wonder how Junior was ever the favorite.

I just can't understand how people leave in this wonderland, dreaming up facts they pull out of their ass to make up their own reality as owner of the truth.

This fight was determined by one punch. By a guy who is not a stricker.
Can he beat people stricking? sure. he did that before, but it is not his forte!

But to claim now that Junior does not have a chance against Cain is as stupid as people that claimed Cain didn't stand a chance against Junior!

Each fight is unique. Anything can happen, because one punch thrown can land and change the story of the fight.
It happened for Junior the first time, and it happened for Cain on the second encounter.

That does not make everyone wrong. Just proves that fighting business is unpredictable. That is it.

Back