1. Where did your likes go? Please Read This Thread »

Why were Sage Northcutt's facial injuries against Cosmo so severe?

Discussion in 'So You Wanna Be A Fighter Discussion' started by sonofjay817, Jun 27, 2020.

1. sonofjay817 Brown Belt

I wondered if anyone can shed light on this for me. I've been watching MMA since the first UFC. I see guys get caught square in the face with flying knees, kicks, elbows, and forearms smashed repeatedly on someone's face with their head on mat, thus, absorbing the full impact of the blows. I saw heavyweight monster Ngannou nearly decapitate Overeem. Its taught me that generally the human face can withstand a lot of punishment, more than I previously thought when i was a kid. Usually there's no more damage than some bruises or a broken nose, and occasionally a broke jaw, orbital bone, or cheekbone and that's usually after a lengthy beatdown.

To my eye, the punch that Cosmo hit Sage with didn't seem particularly noteworthy, and it was ONE punch. Let me rephrase...it was a beautiful punch and I can see how it was a fight ending punch, it just didn't seem like enough to disassemble his face the way it did. Sage's head was able to recoil with the punch. It wasn't trapped against anything. Sage had eight facial fractures and thirty bone fragments removed and suffered nerve damage as well. I just wonder if he had a more delicate bone structure than most or if Cosmo hits harder than Ngannou.

suizuri likes this.
  2. milenss Red Belt

I think it has something to do with One not doing strict drug testing.
    That, combined with Sage's fragile face.
    But Sage has also gone up two categories, which also is a factor.
    All in all, Sage made some horrible decisions.

pizzle likes this.
  3. RoyalTS Yellow Belt

Cosmo is a pretty big guy competing at 185 and being 6,2 ft., a very good and experienced Muay Thai and Kickboxing Champion with over 90 fights and hit him with a bomb on the right spot.
    Sage is not and never will be on his level as a fighter.

4. Buddy Revell Amazon Prime Unboxing Champion

Sage was moving to HIS left-- right into the path of Cosmo's RIGHT. Watch the video, gif, and you can see it clearly.

The point is: Sage basically walked into the shot, an overhand right, which is to say that he ate it flush-- magnifying it's power by walking into it.

Also, Sage didn't have the boxing defensive fundamentals to keep his lead hand up or his lead shoulder up to bock the shot or take some of the steam off it. A good or great boxer might have also pivoted to their left, essentially rolling the shot as it came in and denying it from landing flush.

TL/DR: Sage has shit boxing defense which caused him to walk into a haymaker and eat it flush... which equaled a broken face

5. sonofjay817 Brown Belt

Nice technical breakdown, thanks! The amount of damage done still amazes me though.

Buddy Revell likes this.
  6. suizuri cunning linguist

thank you TS for verbalizing this question eloquently; i've been wondering about this too.

sonofjay817 likes this.
  7. Buddy Revell Amazon Prime Unboxing Champion

Yeah, 4 ounce gloves don't provide much protection do they? I'm always surprised that there aren't more guys with broken jaws, dislocated jaws, or broken bones in their faces. The level of boxing defense in MMA is pretty bad tbh. I'm guessing the fact that most fights are 3 rounds and have a good amount of grappling and clinching, along with the equally poor punching technique has a lot to do with it.

8. listrahtes Black Belt

Its not really about mma sucking in boxing defense. Many technical defense skills dont work in mma but just fine in boxing. Many can adjust but Sage has way subpar striking skills for a professional level and it showed. In general its really not that bad nowadays.

His distancing is off, his ability to read his opponent is nonexistent, thats why he went face first into the punch.

Imo his career is done and I said that the moment he left the UFC. Biggest mistake of his life. They protected him at all costs and he did not even realize it. Lived completely in his delusional bubble.

Besides that Cosmo is a killer and would slaughter some elite UFC fighters at his weight class.

Buddy Revell likes this.
  9. Buddy Revell Amazon Prime Unboxing Champion

I won't disagree simply because i don't know what tools, if any, Karate and TKD provide to deal with boxing. And iirc, Sage is a Karate/TKD guy since youth. How much is his fault, how much is the arts fault? IDK

I mean, i get that other high level TMA/Kickboxing guys in MMA have been caught with overhands before (Machida vs. Shogun 2, Overeem vs. Liddell, just to name a few), but i can't think of many that were as much of an all-round fail as Sage's KO was.

Sage's walked right into the shot with his lead hand in no position to defend or fend off cosmo, his rear hand away from his face, his shoulder down, his head stationary, and his footwork leading him right into the punch. All and all a pretty damning indictment of his standup defense. He did just about everything wrong, which is appalling for a guy with as much standup training as he's had.

listrahtes likes this.
  10. sonofjay817 Brown Belt

My pleasure...if your AV is your portrait, you should thank me in person....just kidding.

suizuri likes this.
  11. sonofjay817 Brown Belt

yeah perhaps...I get all of what you said about how skillful boxing defense can mitigate damage (as you beautifully described), but there are many instances where the fighter is dazed with no defense and the other fighter gets several shots in to finish them and you never see damage like what Sage suffered. Maybe it is that his angular facial features are easier to break. Maybe some people's faces are a lot more sturdy than others and the ones who break easily just don't usually make it to elite level.

Buddy Revell likes this.