Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It - Gary Taubes

If you eat a 2000 calorie diet of twinkles you're gonna look way worse tHan if you ate a clean 2000 calorie diet.

Obviously. I only mention it because lots of people think that you can eat unlimited amounts of certain foods and lose/maintain weight, whether that's Paleo, gluten-free, vegan, whatever. When it comes to weight loss/maintenance, calories are king and many people forget that.

Read up on the teachers and professors who lost weight on the McDonald's diet or the Twinkie diet. Eating anything at a caloric deficit will lead to weight loss. And in the cases of these two teachers, health markers were greatly improved too.

Obviously. I only mention it because lots of people think that you can eat unlimited amounts of certain foods and lose/maintain weight, whether that's Paleo, gluten-free, vegan, whatever. When it comes to weight loss/maintenance, calories are king and many people forget that.

Read up on the teachers and professors who lost weight on the McDonald's diet or the Twinkie diet. Eating anything at a caloric deficit will lead to weight loss. And in the cases of these two teachers, health markers were greatly improved too.

Well of course eating less will make you lose weight.

The difference is that Gabor Mate is an MD who spends everyday working with the population he discusses, by working with the downtown eastside population of Vancouver (e.g. HIV infected drug users). Gary Taubes is a journalist who wrote a book, and doesn't actually work with the population he writes about. Nor is he a scientist, or an endocrinologist, or any kind of physiologist.

His understanding of insulin's mechanism of action is completely off. Many people, like real scientists, have written about it before. I would go into detail, but smarter and more dedicated people like Stephen Guyenet have already written many series of posts over the years about Taubes' ideas.

Here are a few starting points:
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ca/2016/01/always-hungry-its-probably-not-your.html
http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.ca/2016/01/testing-insulin-model-response-to-dr.html#more

I read these articles and just wanted to mention that Dr. Ludwig (a proponent of the insulin/carbohydrate theory) responded point by point to his assertions.

I was eating a lot of meat and my cholesterol skyrocketed.

These fucking fatties drink pepsi with all their meals and they can't figure out why their not losing weight. Sorry I have no sympathy for idiots.

Back