Why wasn't Robbie Lawler as dominant in Strikeforce?

TheBrownRanger

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hobbie is one of those rare fighters that looked far better in the UFC. Of course, I'm talking about his 2nd and current stint.

He was a pretty average middleweight until he dropped to WW and beat the fuck out of Koscheck in 2013. Many people thought there was no way in hell Lawler would be top 10, let alone win a belt.

Hobbie was a EliteXC Middleweight champion, but only defended against Ninja Rua and Scott Smith, both of whom probably had CTE even back then.

In Strikeforce, I think he's only known for KOing Lindland and Manhoef.

giphy.gif

I remember reading back then that his wife and being a father lit a fire inside him and used it as his motivation in his 2nd stint in the UFC, and he's admitted he's 'resting on his laurels' during his SF days

well for one thing he was fighting at 185.

subbed by Jacare. manhandled by Kennedy (this is '10 Kennedy, not '17 Kennedy), manhandled by Larkin. hell, while investigating this, wiki reminds me that he fought Sobral at 195.

but at least we got this:

and that makes everything worth it.

He was fighting out of his natural weight class and wasn't sparring at all.

He found a fire inside. The extra motivation training and cutting to WW again proved to be beneficial for Him. Amazing career.

Part of the reason could have been the fight camp change to ATT that he had

He fought at 185 and genuinely didn't give a fuck at the time imo here he is sleeping at a press conference

UFC-robbie-lawler-asleep-single-image-cut.jpg

well for one thing he was fighting at 185.

subbed by Jacare. manhandled by Kennedy (this is '10 Kennedy, not '17 Kennedy), manhandled by Larkin. hell, while investigating this, wiki reminds me that he fought Sobral at 195.

but at least we got this:

and that makes everything worth it.

He was actually giving Jacare the blues before he got tapped.

Yeah I thought they were giving him to Koscheck to lose and be cut. He had a decent contract at SF but wasn't looking very good. Then he smashes Kos and goes on an amazing run with multiple FOTYs. Awesome fighter.

Jesus Christ I miss prime Hobbie Brawler in SF or in the UFC 2013-2016

Did he though?

He lost some tough fights, but looked good

Lawler also planked Adlan Amagov with a flying knee after being hit with an illegal knee. An underrated gem of Lawler’s career and Strikeforce run.

Easier fights against smaller guys.

He was a pretty average middleweight until he dropped to WW and beat the fuck out of Koscheck in 2013. Many people thought there was no way in hell Lawler would be top 10, let alone win a belt.
I bet on Koscheck at -400 against Lawler. LOL.

Ive always loved robbie lawler fights, but god damn the shit kciking he took from melvin and the comeback is what really got me back into robbie. what a great fight to see someone almost done, hurt and limp;ing with nothing left in his bag to just smoke manhoef out of nowhere, god one of the best all time fight finishes.

youll prob find that the new weight class, the reemergence of his power is what gave him a second wind.

I think Robbie has a similar problem to Gegard. They both seem to have issues with lethargy/apathy. When they are invested in the fight, they are savages, but they seem to get bored from time to time.

I don't know, but I remember when I watched Renato Sobral outstrike him, of all people. That was weird.

Back