Why wasn't Jones disqualified for the head slam attempts on Belfort?

I'm not an expert but Fast twitching BJJ is pretty rare?
Transition and twitching are different, experienced BJJ guys can transition quick with ease and just ride the opponents every move, same as wrestlers and other grapplers

You can't spike an opponent trying to submit you, it's up to them to not get spiked.

We know you're brand new, and a troll.

He was defending and escaping the arm bar you dummy, if you have ever trained BJJ and been arm barred, then you would no what its like when you have a save hanging off your arm.

You have to shake them off, and chances are they are going to hit the floor.

Don't like it? Let go of the arm, otherwise STFU

I asked about the rules dumbass, not my personal opinion

He does it not only once but twice, clearly intentional

Spiking an opponent isn't against the rules if they're trying to sub you. They have some control over the position, if they don't want to land on their head they can let go of the sub.

6. Spiking the opponent to the canvas onto the head or neck (pile-driving):
A pile driver is considered to be any throw where you control your opponent's body placing his feet towards the sky with his head straight down and then forcibly drive your opponents head into the canvas or flooring material. It should be noted when a fighter is placed into a submission hold by their opponent, if that fighter is capable of elevating their opponent they may bring that opponent down in any fashion they desire because they are not in control of their opponent’s body. The fighter who is attempting the submission can either adjust their position, or let go of their hold before being slammed to the canvas.

https://www.abcboxing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/unified_rules_fouls_rev0816.pdf

<seedat>

<JonesLaugh>
This. Was going to post this but you beat me to it *thumbs up

I'm not an expert but Fast twitching BJJ is pretty rare?
That seems to be changing as the new style seems to be speeding up the movements, transitions, and submissions. Most are cross training other grappling arts so most are not pure bjj anymore.

Slammin down an armbar is legal. If the opponent is the one holding on you're fine.
Yeah I thought you could basically do whatever you need to to get out of a submission. Not like stomp their face in an armbar bar but slams and stuff.

Following on from @Swepingright about why Jones wasn't DQ'ed for defending a sub

I though we might as well clear up why Andrade wasn't DQ'ed for dumping Rose on her head.

Let it go, simple. A good BJJ professor will tell you "if it ain't there let it go"
Just idiots hold on for dear life and burn themselves out or get dumped on

q0sEXQO.gif
I don't think Nate was legit trying to spike Thales but realized he couldn't lift him off so just drove down.

That seems to be changing as the new style seems to be speeding up the movements, transitions, and submissions. Most are cross training other grappling arts so most are not pure bjj anymore.

Alright. Why was it rare before? Are there drawbacks to doing it?

6. Spiking the opponent to the canvas onto the head or neck (pile-driving):
A pile driver is considered to be any throw where you control your opponent's body placing his feet towards the sky with his head straight down and then forcibly drive your opponents head into the canvas or flooring material. It should be noted when a fighter is placed into a submission hold by their opponent, if that fighter is capable of elevating their opponent they may bring that opponent down in any fashion they desire because they are not in control of their opponent’s body. The fighter who is attempting the submission can either adjust their position, or let go of their hold before being slammed to the canvas.

https://www.abcboxing.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/unified_rules_fouls_rev0816.pdf

<seedat>

<JonesLaugh>

The only correct answer....soo many shit posts before this gem...

Perfectly legal slam...

Alright. Why was it rare before? Are there drawbacks to doing it?
Pure BJJ is more about patience, and waiting for mistakes to happen. Most people now are cross training wrestling, sambo, judo, submission wrestling, etc so grappling overall is different. It's become more explosive, with scrambling, faster transitions, and explosive submission attempts. Like you'll see more people jumping on to the back and getting the hooks in while in the air during transitions currently than you would back then. That's some of the examples of the speed of grappling and explosiveness being added to it. Before it would go in steps in order to take the back and get your hooks in. Now steps are being skipped and they will just jump on the back during scrambles and transitions. There are a lot of other examples, but that's one of the easiest ones to point out.

Drawbacks probably would just be rushing into submissions and you may not always get it and could leave you in an un-advantageous position, but that's also where the scrambling also comes in to play. I think it strengthens grappling overall. Since the slower paced grapplers would get out scrambled before and now they're working on scrambling as well as their techniques and submissions. This is why pure bjj has had problems with wrestlers in the past.

Last edited:
I was in the building for this moment, when Vitor kicked off the cage to readjust his hips and swing into that arm bar the entire building jumped out of their seats and came unglued, the sound of everyone going bananas and the intensity of the moment was crazy

Back