Why Was The Announcer Pronouncing Bethe's Name As 'Betchy'?

But the whole idea was that it sounds like Betch in Portuguese. Everyone would have been calling her Beth otherwise.

For the record, I think that English speakers shouldn't be trying to pronounce names in the native tongue of the person being referred to. It never works.

Might be the silliest thing I've read today.

English speakers trying to pronounce her name "Beth" are the reason nobody knows how to actually say it in the first place.

I don't like when people call a "Jorge" "George", and calling her "Beth" is no better.

Her name is what it is, no matter how that spelling is pronounced in YOUR tongue

English speakers trying to pronounce her name "Beth" are the reason nobody knows how to actually say it in the first place.

I don't like when people call a "Jorge" "George", and calling her "Beth" is no better.

Her name is what it is, no matter how that spelling is pronounced in YOUR tongue
I agree, but sometimes the mispronunciation is not intentional, as in "Honda". Portuguese doesn't have the Ronda chewed 'r' phoneme, that's why some people in Brazil won't even realize they are mispronuncing her name.

Yes but if they can't get it right, what's the point? I'd prefer to be called the English version of my name rather than some kind of half-assed attempt at sounding Irish.

And I can't tell you the amount of stupid variations I've heard on Jorge. George is a good way place to settle.

after this weekend when she disappears into obscurity nobody is going to be concerned whether or not it's pronounced beth, betch or butch so lets not get too worried about it.

Its probly like Mike and Mikey

I don't know, but watching Bethe weigh in isn't as fun with the new Reebok apparel.

I used to think this way. Then I actually traveled. There are a lot of places in the world where you simply won't be able to pronounce the names, no matter what your mother tongue is.

edit:
Ronda sounds like Honda because in portuguese there is an open R and a closed one, more commom. Saying "Ronda Rousey' instead of 'Honda housey' feels unnatural, forced.

This. Why force people to use phonemes and words they are uncomfortable with? Brazilains should call Ronda "Honda". It's OK.

I thought it was pronounced Betchy. However pronouncing it as 'Betch' makes sentences such as 'That Bethe is going to day' flow better.

Because her 15 minutes of fame is almost over so why bother asking her how to pronounce it

they add a y at the end of every noun in portuguese, which is why anderson silva say he break his leggy

In Portuguese Brazilian it sounds "betchy". Brazilians have a fucked up way of pronouncing everything. Their Portuguese is horrendous and their English is even more horrendous.

They pronounce Batman "Batchym

But the whole idea was that it sounds like Betch in Portuguese. Everyone would have been calling her Beth otherwise.

For the record, I think that English speakers shouldn't be trying to pronounce names in the native tongue of the person being referred to. It never works.

brazilians put an "y" sound after anything ending with an e.

Because UFC announcers are terrible with foreign names.

Not so long ago, RDA was known as "Rafayel dos A

The e isnt silent, the h is, and in Brazilian Portuguese a t sounds like tch.

In Portuguese Brazilian it sounds "betchy". Brazilians have a fucked up way of pronouncing everything. Their Portuguese is horrendous and their English is even more horrendous.

They pronounce Batman "Batchym

Back