Why was Mcmann stopped but not Brown

Brown was defending himself and McMann was turtled up holding her liver.

No I don't. You posted a gif that goes to the point of where she got up to one knee. She stayed on that one knee for a short while after the fight was stopped.

I have the fight on my DVR and have watched it many times.

Then you don't even have a good excuse to be so blind.

McMann was rising. Those punches were doing NOTHING. Your statement "Rousey was halfway across the ring" is blatantly false.

I honestly thought it was a groin shot. But Matt recovered goos but i did notice he got stunned by some body shots in this one. Not good, stronger strikers will capitalize in the future. Imagine a Lawler liver punch

I honestly thought it was a groin shot. But Matt recovered goos but i did notice he got stunned by some body shots in this one. Not good, stronger strikers will capitalize in the future. Imagine a Lawler liver punch

Or Diaz.

He was dropped brutally by a kick to the body. Turned away and took at least 5 or 6 hard unanswered shots to the face, looking like a bobblehead.

Herbal dean?? You got some splainin to do

And speaking of which, I've seen Herbal Dean stop other fights for far less than that before...

McMann was rising. Those punches were doing NOTHING. Your statement "Rousey was halfway across the ring" is blatantly false.

The fight was already stopped by the time McMann got up on one knee. She was turtled up and clutching her liver when Herb stopped the fight. Go watch the fight.

Herb Dean watched Earthshock and knew how this shit had to end

Funny, when that was happening in the fight I immediately thought of McMann vs Rousey. I agree OP McMann was a bad stoppage.

NO. She was not. Rosuey was half way across the cage celebrating before she was back to her feet.

Show a gif with the actual fight clock then.

1:28 knee lands (3:58 on UFC fight clock)
1:29 McMann goes down to knees and hands (3:57 on UFC fight clock)
(no major shots land, 2 very weak punches thrown that either miss or skim, 0 damage)
still 1:29 Herb Dean stops the fight (3:56 on UFC fight clock)
1:30 McMann is getting up (3:55- 3:56 on UFC fight clock, hard to tell it is as it is changing)

1 second stoppage with no KO and no followup shots. How is <1 second justification for a stoppage?

Last edited:
Because McMann shouldn't have been stopped either. Herb made up for his mistake.

Brown dropped, then almost immediately grabbed onto a leg, and recovered.

Brown fell to his back once he wsaw Silva coming so it looked like he was trying to pull guard. Unfortunately for McMann she just turtled

This. McMann just went face down and curled up while Matt was able to get some kind of defensive guard swag going on.

This. McMann just went face down and curled up while Matt was able to get some kind of defensive guard swag going on.

You guys are STUPID. McMann dropped to her knees, sure. She didn't just "curl up". The Brown fight could just as easily been stopped as the McMann fight, the truth is McMann and Rousey was stopped a little early, even though Rousey most likely still would have won.

Exactly. McMann simply wasn't given the chance to recover, but Brown got the chance and came back, showing he is a tough SOB

Dean came out and said he didn't want to see her get hurt because she's a woman. Odd, and definitely not professional.

Brown fell to his back once he wsaw Silva coming so it looked like he was trying to pull guard. Unfortunately for McMann she just turtled

If you think that's what happened then you do not know what turtling is. She was down, the punches were not affecting her, and it took her one second to get up. While Travis Browne took about a dozen punches from Overeem, and was given time to get up, McMann took two of the least impressive punches I've ever seen and it was stopped. She was getting up, and yes she was hurt but not at all out.

Jesus Christ man. Dean fucked up, and he walked out of the cage that night shaking his head. Everybody knows that he fucked up, and he spent weeks getting trashed on this forum for it.

Why bother rehashing it after a fight that was officiated properly?

OK. I may have exagrerated a LITTLE. But only a little. Rousey was already several steps away, about the quarter of the cage, celebrating before McMann go back to her feet.

McMann was turled, holding her liver, not defending punches to the head. Just how hard she was getting punched to the head does not matter.

@9:40 Herb Dean explains the stoppage
http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/3/18/5521860/the-mma-hour-222-herb-dean

If Herb let the fight go and IF McMann could get back to her feet, another shot to the liver and she would have gone done harder, faster and longer.

And it didn't matter, she was not getting back up.

Back