Why was Jon Madsen from the heavyweight TUF cut from UFC?

Crushasaurus

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
4-1 in the UFC and his only loss came to Mike Russow who, at the time, was doing pretty darn well in the UFC himself.

Why did the UFC cut this guy?

I think they considered him boring.

I remember him, he won a couple decisions and then TKO'd Gilbert Yvel iirc. He got the boot sometime later, strange really.

EDIT: The following is total bullshit and I apologize to Madsen. It appears I was misinformed, the correct information is below. I leave the original post for context's sake:

I kinda speculated that perhaps he was the really racist guy on the show who's name Schaub and Mitrione didnt want to release. But iirc they hinted at the dude fighting in the ufc for a little while and then not anymore... But thats really all i'm going on, so it's really total speculation. It would explain though why the UFC was just waiting to cut him.

Last edited:
That's a darn shame. I know everyone's been saying it but the heavyweight division is so weak. I'm surprised they haven't done another heavyweight TUF. That season had to be one of the best in terms of producing steady fighters for the division: Big Country, Meathead, and Brendan Schaub all came from it.

Hell at one point, before his loss to Stipe, I think Roy was getting close to a title shot. Hard to believe Struve of all people caught Stipe but Roy couldn't.

yeah that was weird, he was doing well and he beat Brock Lesnar in amatuer wrestling too.

Hard to believe Struve of all people caught Stipe but Roy couldn't.

Especially since Stipe isnt all that hard to hit.. (no disrespect, dude is a great fighter, but his defensive boxing is certainly not elite. Roy would look like a bad matchup for him. And thinking about it, so would Hunt...)

Whoa i never heard that about Mike wessel. I googled it and it brought up this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/2y71ff/so_mike_wessel_was_the_tuf_racist/

I was reading through it and they're saying someone was gay in that season too? Seems like they're saying it was Justin Wren, but i don't think any self respecting gay guy would go full duck dynasty like Wren has. I figured maybe they were just joking on the dude who liked flowers?

Did I just see a Jon Madsen thread in the heavies in 2016?...

Sherdog is back Joe!

Did I just see a Jon Madsen thread in the heavies in 2016?...

Sherdog is back Joe!

rofl sorry i was doing the thing where you read one fighter's record then click on another and another. This jumped out at me. (Started with Justin Wren for tonight's fight.)

Whoa i never heard that about Mike wessel. I googled it and it brought up this thread https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/2y71ff/so_mike_wessel_was_the_tuf_racist/

I was reading through it and they're saying someone was gay in that season too? Seems like they're saying it was Justin Wren, but i don't think any self respecting gay guy would go full duck dynasty like Wren has. I figured maybe they were just joking on the dude who liked flowers?

There are burly gay guys. They call them Bears.

There are burly gay guys. They call them Bears.

1.) jeez it's a joke
2.) if you're familiar with bears then you know they don't look like duck dynasty hicks

(but thanks for presuming to educate a gay man as to what a bear is)

Go watch one of his fights and you'll know why he was cut. Just another Rosholt.

rofl sorry i was doing the thing where you read one fighter's record then click on another and another. This jumped out at me. (Started with Justin Wren for tonight's fight.)

It's a lonely existence I can relate to brother.

1.) jeez it's a joke
2.) if you're familiar with bears then you know they don't look like duck dynasty hicks

(but thanks for presuming to educate a gay man as to what a bear is)

I was also goofing around. I'm not really too familier with the look, I just thought big hairy gay dudes were called bears.

If he had the physique of Duffee he would still be in the UFC. Probably even fought for the title as well.

Back