Why UFC 236 was so special

Hirashin

This is not a profession
Banned
Reaction score
We had two interim title fights, but they were not just any title fights. Those two fights included 4 fighters in their prime, take huge damage, to survive a war of attrition and live to a dignified close decision. What we are used to see nowadays are old past their prime washed up fighters with shot chins who string 2 victories in a row to get a TS only to fall down with one punch. Not this time. These guys were in the best spot of their career, never was there a better Dustin, or better Max or better Kelvin or Israel for that matter. As Israel said it him self: he was willing to die out there. Those 4 guys took tremendous damage though and that will for sure have its consequences in the future. Max and Israel had their faces rearranged. You can't take such damage and continue to fight with the same style and have the same accomplishments, eventually you lose your chin and start to get knocked out by a jab. Oh well, it is what it is. This time the just bleed gods were pleased!

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Od3Gs9g.gif

Poirier and Holloway both gained a fan. Apart from the great fight they put on, I loved how much respect they showed towards each other after the fight. True pros and great role models. Dustin's post fight interview was great too, real nice guy, hard not to like.

Last edited:
We had two interim title fights, but they were not just any title fights. Those two fights included 4 fighters in their prime, take huge damage, to survive a war of attrition and live to a dignified close decision. What we are used to see nowadays are old past their prime washed up fighters with shot chins who fall down with one punch. Not this time. These guys were in the best spot of their career, never was there a better Dustin, or better Max or better Kelvin or Israel for that matter. As Israel said it him self: he was willing to die out there. Those 4 guys took tremendous damage though and that will for sure have its consequences in the future. Max and Israel had their faces rearranged. You can't take such damage and continue to fight with the same style and have the same accomplishments, eventually you lose your chin and start to get knocked out by a jab. Oh well, it is what it is. This time the just bleed gods were pleased!

tenor.gif

i dont know man, I think the Max that fought Aldo was better and he also won that fight.

What was pretty cool to me was that the UFC took four non draws, made up two titles and generated exctiment enough to market a PPV event out of two top ten fights. They are geniuses. They sold the brand and did well I am assuming.

i dont know man, I think the Max that fought Aldo was better and he also won that fight.
That was the same max though....just taking punches from a much bigger guy can change your game. Aldo was hitting him and so was Ortega.. but not as hard as Dustin did....were talking about a guy who wrecked 3 top caliber lws in a row...

also, Dustin vs Khabib will be big
Whittaker vs Adensaya will also do good

Max could still headline in Hawaii, Gastelum in Mexico or South America

the house always wins

I like that we're slowly moving out of the ruins of the Conor and Ronda era, and new names and fighters and storylines are emerging.

Not hating on Conor tho, still my boy.

Izzy Kelvin is fight of the year so far me

There has been so many good fights the past few months.

Izzy Kelvin is fight of the year so far me

There has been so many good fights the past few months.

Its hard to chose between these two fights. I think Max vs Dustin is tad bit better, cause Max is the current 145 champion who looked unbeatable until now.

Main and comain lived up to the hype and more for me. Honestly, they were both some of the best fights in quite some time. Top quality mma striking displays. There's a long way to go tho, technique will improve, but it is already leaps and bounds ahead from what it was 7,8 years ago. You go watch a 2012 fight and will see what I mean.

Grit and determination were both inspiring too. Awesome event.

I was there! It was good! Two FoTY candidates! One of which could go down as an all-timer.

The 2 main events were stellar. Not so sure about the rest of the card. The UFC's new model is to serve up a watered-down product every week. Older PPV cards were often stacked from top to bottom with killers fighting killers, tons of top contenders on the same card. Now they rely mainly on the main events, & serve up a lot of lower-caliber lower-ranked fighters as filler. Just an observation about the card as a whole, but like I said, the 2 main events were fantastic.

Yeah I was excited for these fights and rightfully so,woulda paid for those 2 fights on their own

Back