Why Tonight's Fight Is So Pivotal For Sergio Pettis

I wasn't really that impressed with debut. Getting schooled by Bruce Leroy is not a great first impression...

Nah he can make flyweight. He's just very young and still developing so he should stay in bantamweight until it seems obvious that he won't get the belt there.

I wasn't really that impressed with debut. Getting schooled by Bruce Leroy is not a great first impression...

He was winning that fight before the submission IMO. Or it was close at least.

If he loses tonight, his hype train is gone gone gone.

That wasn't his debut.

Also, Leroy is pretty good, and fight wasn't that loopsided at all.

All in all, Pettis Jr. still looks impressive as hell for 20 year old dude.

well luckily that was not his debut.... Also Cacares is a very good fighter. He's Arguably 7-0 in his last 7 UFC fights (although i think he lost to Kang). Totally underrated

He was winning that fight before the submission IMO. Or it was close at least.

Well it was definitely a fun fight with both of them spamming spinning shit. I recall them splitting rounds in my mind and Caceres winning the 3rd up until the finish. I guess the only question is whether he'll be a title contender or a fun guy to fill out cards.

well luckily that was not his debut.... Also Cacares is a very good fighter. He's Arguably 7-0 in his last 7 UFC fights (although i think he lost to Kang). Totally underrated

My mistake. I guess we can even rule out the mythical "Octagon jitters". I agree that Bruce Leeroy is underrated. I think that I was expecting Sergio to be Anthony.

Last edited:
If he loses tonight, his hype train is gone gone gone.

Unfortunately, you're only as good as your last fight in most cases. With his brother being who he is, he is always in his shadows - so to speak. I think he is young, and has plenty of time to learn, grow, and become his own in the sport.

Wasn't his debut and if I remember rightly he nearly finished Leroy in the first and won the first 2 rounds and seemed to run out of steam in the last round.

Unfortunately, you're only as good as your last fight in most cases. With his brother being who he is, he is always in his shadows - so to speak. I think he is young, and has plenty of time to learn, grow, and become his own in the sport.

I agree, poor kid will have to deal with extra pressure as long as his big bro is the LW champ (which will be a while given that the TUF season is coming in september).

I look forward to watching Sergio grow in the UFC, I really do. I am a fan of his. I enjoyed watching him KO some dude in RFA a little while back. If he goes 1-2 in the UFC, I think he may get one last shot if he drops down to FLW and fights someone like Darren Uyenoyama.

Can't see him losing to Yaotzin fucking Meza anyway.

hes 20, so hes probably going to get bigger. although he can probably fight at flw right now i cant say the same 2 years down the line. he should just stick with BW.

Wasn't his debut and if I remember rightly he nearly finished Leroy in the first and won the first 2 rounds and seemed to run out of steam in the last round.

Sergio never had a near finish against Caceres and he lost the second round where he was knocked down.

That other guy had it much more wrong though.

Sergio never had a near finish against Caceres and he lost the second round where he was knocked down.

That other guy had it much more wrong though.

He won the first round for sure.
Got dropped in the second round but came back to win it imo.
Third round was close as well before he got finished.

I was at the Leroy/Sergio fight and bet on Leroy. Sergio had the first 2 rds easy imo.

I'm not sure why everyone wants him to fight at FLW. His style isn't about being the bigger stronger man. As long as he isn't being manhandled by people let him do his thing.

He won the first round for sure.
Got dropped in the second round but came back to win it imo.
Third round was close as well before he got finished.

He recovered from the knockdown and made the rest of the round competitive but didn't do enough to close the gap I thought but yeah it's up to opinion.

The third was close but even if Sergio hadn't gone for the leglock at that point that gave his back he'd be finishing the round in a bad position.

Anyways, I guess I agree that Sergio could have been on his way to a decision win before the sub. I'm glad neither coasted.

Back