International Why the US trade-war with China will fail

This is what it shows.

My second point is true as well. As China becomes more of a consumer it's market will exercise more power. People believe in this BS of hopes and values, but ultimately it's money and markets that will drive strategic decisions (up to a threshold).

This American obsession with fighting China won't fly in Europe for very long. Money is like a river and will find its way through.

...gross trade flows that are overwhelming one sided. Your ignoring this from your article

Driving this picture is that China’s economy is far more export driven than the US,

If China wants to become the big global consumer market then they can have at it. But that will involve granting one sided access trading partners don’t necessarily reciprocate. It will mean forcing their own workers into direct competition with foreign workers paid pennies on their yuan and enduring foreign manufacturing subsidies, currency manipulations and general mercantilism. The majority of their factories will shutter and their middle class will be hollowed out. This role hasn’t been such an awesome deal for the US and it won’t be for China either. But If that’s what you want then enjoy...

I suppose the question is: what benefit does the trade-war bring:

American farmers being shunted from productive markets to government welfare?

What does standing up to China even mean?
This seems to be code for trying to contain China [in a strategic sense] rather than any genuine desire to re-calibrate trade.

What benefits does it bring?

- Jobs for Americans in manufacturing and other positions that have been outsourced to China (or taken by Chinese immigrants to the US)
- Reducing the revenue of an adversary
- Better quality, because when the country goods are made in is a dump it's more likely they'll contain poison

It will fail because America is not a wealthy country. America is a poor country with a small class of people that hold almost all of the wealth. There is no one to sell "made in America" to. Americans can't even afford to live using cheap Chinese shit.

It will fail because America is not a wealthy country. America is a poor country with a small class of people that hold almost all of the wealth. There is no one to sell "made in America" to. Americans can't even afford to live using cheap Chinese shit.

BS, they are just stupid and lazy thus failing in the easiest system in the word to succeed.

I recently posted these facts in another thread:

In the first 15 years post-China's joining the WTO Chinese imports as a percent of GDP went from 1.14% to 2.59% (2002 - 2017). From 1986 - 2001 median income (in 2018 $) went from $25,325 to $31,185 which is a 23.1% increase. From the 2002 - 2017 median income (in 2018 $) went from $30,959 to $32,561, which is a 5.2% increase.

Meanwhile median income in China more than doubled in 11 years over that period.

VlOiOwQ.png

If you think continuing to trade with China will benefit the US, I have some ocean front property in Kansas to sell you.

The trade war will end if Trump loses. No other president has ever had the balls to stand up to them.

This is the most retarded thing in the thread, Trump game China nearly 2 years of breathing room thanks to Trump focusing on Europe, Mexico and Canada instead of China from the get go.

Not to mention the whole ripping the TPP which was meant to cut off China.

Not to mention the whole ripping the TPP which was meant to cut off China.

Do you actually believe that? Explain how the provisions of the TPP were "meant" to cut off China.

Manufacturing job have been declining for half a decade now. But its the China Virus is going to fuck em hard with now estimated 200,000,000 people willing to but unable to find jobs.

The virus is fucking everyone up. Manufacturing jobs have been declining, but other, better, jobs have replaced them. Look, I'm as anti-chinese as it gets, but I think hoping that they just naturally tank because of new technologies is wishful thinking. I think making them sink will take a world effort, and the US are actually helping them by retreating from world leadership to isolationism. The Western world needs to get together for this one.

The virus is fucking everyone up. Manufacturing jobs have been declining, but other, better, jobs have replaced them. Look, I'm as anti-chinese as it gets, but I think hoping that they just naturally tank because of new technologies is wishful thinking. I think making them sink will take a world effort, and the US are actually helping them by retreating from world leadership to isolationism. The Western world needs to get together for this one.

How are you defining "better" and "replaced"? From the time American manufacturing took a nose dive in 2001, median income growth was lower the next 10 and 15 years than it was the prior 10 and 15 years.

jVVzeSN.png

https://www2.census.gov/programs-surveys/cps/tables/time-series/historical-income-people/p04.xls

Funny no advanced nation managed to replace those jobs with other better ones.

Buddy the whole "retreating from world leadership to isolationism" is pure idiocy. Presidents come and go, USA doctrine and strategy dont change.

They will tank due to being communist slave idiots.

I thought we were talking about China, not US jobs. That's what your first comment to which I replied was about.

China joined the WTO in 2001. Notice on the graph I posted that that's when the precipitous drop in US manufacturing jobs began.

Do you actually believe that? Explain how the provisions of the TPP were "meant" to cut off China.

It literally standarized US IP protections in every major pacific partner of China.

They would had allowed American corporations to sue companies breaching their IP in tons of countries. Plus giving these countries prefered American market acceds cutting their dependence on China.

America hasn't found the tipping point yet but I doubt it will let go of the hegemony it currently enjoys. However, if you look at history and the history of empires its difficult to look at places like Greece or the UK to think they at one time were the world superpowers. There aren't too many glowing options left for America or even the world.

TS, are you saying that because China has increased its share of global production in the past, it necessarily will in the future? Sounds fallacious.
Yes thinking trends are forever is silly. Austria Hungary was predicted to have the arrest navy by the 70s if things continued. Just saying

Interesting article from the economist:

https://www.economist.com/business/...gainst-huawei-is-aimed-at-chipmaking-in-china

Even if that is not tsmc’s intention, workarounds are bound to proliferate. On May 18th the boss of Samsung Electronics toured his company’s new chip factory in Xian, a city in central China. The South Korean firm, which plans to invest $115bn in its chipmaking business over the next decade, has made it clear that it will not ignore China. America’s export controls may prompt it to kit out its foundries with equipment that will not fall foul of Sino-American geopolitics.

Chip-industry insiders report that semiconductor equipment is already being marketed inside China as “ear free”—meaning Chinese buyers need not worry about the “export administration regulations” that the Trump administration is using to attack Huawei. A person close to American toolmakers says some of them are thinking about moving their patents abroad to rebuild operations from scratch away from America’s jurisdiction, in order to circumvent present and future anti-Chinese restrictions. Mr Trump’s attempt to de-Sinify the semiconductor industry may do more to de-Americanise it instead.

Back