Why the good fighters who won a short fight doenst fight more often (LIKE CERRONE)

Metallicalabran

Don't be scared homie!
@Brown
Reaction score
Dave Sholler: Just spoke to @Cowboycerrone. He said he's happy to fly to London or Vegas next. Best part? He's serious...

Some fan favorite fighters won fights under a round, even under minutes. But they NEVER EVER fight again in under a month. Is like they ALWAYS have to get a free month + 2 month campament, to fight again.

Why is this? And why it seems like cowboy cerrone is the only fighter who is allowed to fight more often?

In my opinion even the champions who won quick fights should make the effort to defend again as soon as possible. That's the best for the bussines, for his fans, for his records, etc. You are already in shape, with a campament done, you are in the peak of your capabilities, lets fight again in under two weeks !!!!!!

We are used to watch the best fighters in every division fight like every 4 months... please, stop that shit. If you fought 5 rounds, well then, fight again un 4 months. But when you win in the first round? COME ONE !!!

There are A LOT o fights that end under a round, and those winners NEVER fight again in under 1 month.

There are only a certain number of events. There are lots of fighters. Promotion must be done.

there's a difference between fighters and "fighters". Cerrone has some of that old guard mentality anyone, anytime, anywhere.

Some fighters have a family to attend to as well as other duties such as coaching and possibly another source of income that requires their time.
Furthermore some fighters have chronic injuries that require proper attention and therapy to keep under control.

I thought McGregor vs RDA was booked pretty fast after their fights tbh.

I thought McGregor vs RDA was booked pretty fast after their fights tbh.

yes !

that one, and Cerrone fights are like the only exception in the rule

If McGregor can do it, Cerrone can do it, so EVERYONE can do it.

In my opinion UFC should give bonuses and shit to encourage that behaviour

- YOU ARE HEALTHY
- YOU ALREADY MADE WEIGHT
- YOU ALREADY MAKE CAMPAMENT
- YOU BARELY TOOK ANY DAMAGE IN YOUR LAST FIGHT

then lets just fight again quick !!!!

going through a 6-8 week fight camp and all the psychological factors involved in fighting leaves alot of fighters exhausted mentally as much as physically. not everyone can do what cowboy does, thats what makes what he does so impressive

Depends how much you need the money. If i remember correctly, Cerrone claimed he was broke before fighting non stop, he also has been around for a long time so i'm sure he feels time is not on his side and cash in as much as possible

There are only a certain number of events. There are lots of fighters. Promotion must be done.

This is true.. But there is also a lot of shit fighters, and shit fights to help pad cards, and padding the fight count going on in the mix. Promotion must be done, so why not do it with the best of the best facing top tier competiton aswell, more OFTEN.

there's a difference between fighters and "fighters". Cerrone has some of that old guard mentality anyone, anytime, anywhere.

Love them old guard fighters with the mentality to fight anyone, anytime, anywhere, as often as they can. Fighters like Cowboy are becoming scarce and even more of a rarity, which to me is sad... Top fighters should want to fight as often as possible, stay active, and build a TRUE legacy

Some fighters have a family to attend to as well as other duties such as coaching and possibly another source of income that requires their time.
Furthermore some fighters have chronic injuries that require proper attention and therapy to keep under control.

I'll give a pass to the fighters with family to spend time with and other obligations such as coaching, etc etc.. But I would like to see top fighters, or hell ANY fighters fight 4-6 times a year if healthy and if possible.... Am I asking too much? literally... Do you think that's too much?

going through a 6-8 week fight camp and all the psychological factors involved in fighting leaves alot of fighters exhausted mentally as much as physically. not everyone can do what cowboy does, thats what makes what he does so impressive

It does make what he does impressive, but it's called MMA for a reason... It's called fighting for a reason.. Fighters already know the daunting tasks of training camps and what they can do to you mentally, emotionally, and physically... You make your bed, get into that bitch!!!

Cerrone's kinda talked about it before. For him he doesn't really like the camps but he loves the actual fight nights. So for him it's all about getting as many of those as possible. I think a lot of fighters aren't as into the actual fight week ritual. It takes a lot out of them and thats why they want so much time off.

Cerrone is happy to have a short camp if it means he can get back in there.

yes !

that one, and Cerrone fights are like the only exception in the rule

If McGregor can do it, Cerrone can do it, so EVERYONE can do it.

In my opinion UFC should give bonuses and shit to encourage that behaviour

- YOU ARE HEALTHY
- YOU ALREADY MADE WEIGHT
- YOU ALREADY MAKE CAMPAMENT
- YOU BARELY TOOK ANY DAMAGE IN YOUR LAST FIGHT

then lets just fight again quick !!!!

Campament?

There are a lot of factors but, generally, I like your ideas. If MMA fighters fought more often the camps could be MUCH shorter. Nothing gets you into fighting shape like fighting.

Injuries are real, though.

I guess I can see that quick turnarounds aren't for everybody but I'd love to see more guys do it.

Dave Sholler: Just spoke to @Cowboycerrone. He said he's happy to fly to London or Vegas next. Best part? He's serious...

Some fan favorite fighters won fights under a round, even under minutes. But they NEVER EVER fight again in under a month. Is like they ALWAYS have to get a free month + 2 month campament, to fight again.

Why is this? And why it seems like cowboy cerrone is the only fighter who is allowed to fight more often?

In my opinion even the champions who won quick fights should make the effort to defend again as soon as possible. That's the best for the bussines, for his fans, for his records, etc. You are already in shape, with a campament done, you are in the peak of your capabilities, lets fight again in under two weeks !!!!!!

We are used to watch the best fighters in every division fight like every 4 months... please, stop that shit. If you fought 5 rounds, well then, fight again un 4 months. But when you win in the first round? COME ONE !!!

There are A LOT o fights that end under a round, and those winners NEVER fight again in under 1 month.
More fighters should be like Cerrone, especially young fighters trying to make their way up in the ranks.

Depends how much you need the money. If i remember correctly, Cerrone claimed he was broke before fighting non stop, he also has been around for a long time so i'm sure he feels time is not on his side and cash in as much as possible
I used to work with a uncle of his a few years ago (he's a engineer) in Denver. He said Donald was pulling in good money. Like in the mid 6 figure range without the bonuses. That was a few years ago though. Not sure what Cerrone's spending habit are.

Lots of fighters think they deserve 6 months on the sofa eating ice cream when they get home from training camp.

For most fighters, especially the top tier, it's just not worth the risk.

Young guys need to get out there and make a name, so if they can get a shot quickly, against a better opponent, it's worth it. Worst thing that could happen is they lose and Dana rewards their loyalty to helping out the company.

Donald does it, because he's said it before, he needs the money. He likes to buy himself toys and if he can go out there and get another fight, another bonus check and be one fight closer to a new contract with higher pay rates, he'll do it.

Back