Why the F*** would someone ever, ever do this?

Here's another video. Similar to what Ari is trying to do (except that he triangles the opposite way).

I always triangle under the armpit as per this video. I also normally, instead of finishing with the technical standup move to get pressure, is to lean forward and grab the leg/s.

Maybe. I suppose I've never done it like that to find out if it works. I'm a lanky guy and use the triangle from back mount, but I don't finish it like that, nor do I set it up like that. I just think it's way better to angle yourself so your hips can finish the job, and so you can fully lock the triangle (which would also take away the space, and be tighter).

Agreed, and his triangle was backwards, necessitating the hand/forearm in there. I could see this being pulled off once in a blue moon, but more likely because someone understood the fundamentals of the triangle, not because he drilled every possible way it could be implemented.

I always triangle under the armpit as per this video. I also normally, instead of finishing with the technical standup move to get pressure, is to lean forward and grab the leg/s.

Same here. And it leaves you with plenty of options for attacking the arms.

I have only pulled off the triangle sub twice in my life, mostly because the position rarely comes up, and I have better options.

ok I filmed it and edited it, I'm finalizing the video now and I'll start to upload it before I go to dinner. When I get back I'll post it.

actually did a variation of this last week. it was more the transition of a side control escape (well guy on bottom tries to escape) and then it lead to arm and neck control so you CANNOT go anywhere. problem is that people with big/thick legs cannot do this, at least well. I could lock it on super quick, but my partner (over 6 ft and close to 250) couldnt do it to save his life.

That said, I found that I had a better rate of locking in a bow n arrow choke.

ok I filmed it and edited it, I'm finalizing the video now and I'll start to upload it before I go to dinner. When I get back I'll post it.

you should make sub201

where you take the techs that ari is gonna teach but do them right.

It is not that them moves ari does are not legit, it is that he just does them wrong.

"Why the f*ck would someone ever do this?" The answer is simple my friend because they are reeeeetards! And yes he "locks" in the choke, crush, retardation, or whatever in backwards. I hate when people try to reinvent the wheel when all they have to do is practice sh*t that "actually works until they get good at. Just because it's shiny doesn't mean it works, actually, it usually means it doesn't unless you're rolling with new guys. Congratulations we all learned a technique that won't work on anyone that has been rolling for a minute. Thanks.

IDK. Some people just want to make shit more complex than it really is. My one instructor just challeneged us to be creative.

This is my version of the Pentagram submission both off of the Back and from the Triple Threat position.

Keep a couple things in mind, this is not really an instructional video, but more of a peak into my thoughts. I have only repped this move out 200-300 times so it is not ready to be showcased on any DVD or as gospel.

I have however had a good bit of success with this submission on people around my size and maybe slightly smaller. People that are a lot smaller than me can create problems but you still have the armbar option.

The more that I play with this move the more that I like the setup from Triple Threat than the set up from the Back. I feel that it has a lot of promise from the triple threat position and it is something that I will be working a lot more, primarily in no gi (when the bow and arrow choke is not an option).

Also as a side note this was filmed up stairs at Gordo BJJ because the kids class was taking place downstairs (thus being able to hear screaming kids) and the lighting was not perfect.

Again, please take this as a view into my personal thoughts and not as much as an instructional.

Also, there is a crushing sensation that makes you want to submit, not necessarily a choke. If you tap to this and you dont immediately think "I never want this to happen to me again" you're probably not having it done correctly. Communicate with your partner and let him know what type of pressure you're feeling and if it's truely something you would tap to.

If someone defends my RNC, I stiff arm him and go for an armbar.

This is my version of the Pentagram submission both off of the Back and from the Triple Threat position.

Keep a couple things in mind, this is not really an instructional video, but more of a peak into my thoughts. I have only repped this move out 200-300 times so it is not ready to be showcased on any DVD or as gospel.

I have however had a good bit of success with this submission on people around my size and maybe slightly smaller. People that are a lot smaller than me can create problems but you still have the armbar option.

The more that I play with this move the more that I like the setup from Triple Threat than the set up from the Back. I feel that it has a lot of promise from the triple threat position and it is something that I will be working a lot more, primarily in no gi (when the bow and arrow choke is not an option).

Also as a side note this was filmed up stairs at Gordo BJJ because the kids class was taking place downstairs (thus being able to hear screaming kids) and the lighting was not perfect.

Again, please take this as a view into my personal thoughts and not as much as an instructional.

Also, there is a crushing sensation that makes you want to submit, not necessarily a choke. If you tap to this and you dont immediately think "I never want this to happen to me again" you're probably not having it done correctly. Communicate with your partner and let him know what type of pressure you're feeling and if it's truely something you would tap to.

just bumping my own post to make sure people dont miss it. There were a couple of people that wanted to see this technique and the page got buried quickly.

just bumping my own post to make sure people dont miss it. There were a couple of people that wanted to see this technique and the page got buried quickly.

That's really nice gerbil, thanks for that. It makes much more sense from the triple-threat position. I normally go for the bow-and-arrow from here, but this would be a good option when you can't get that.

Jeremy, you are THE MAN! I use the triple attack often, so I am going to play with your version of the submission. Thank you for the video and explanation.

That video was a great surprise Gerbil! Great stuff. Ive got pretty lanky legs so i usually body triangle people from the back and then work for the submission from there. Im pretty sure i can get get a good hold of my shin from the body triangle so its probably another good entry to this choke. Thanks for taking the time to show us that mate, much respect!

I was taught that triangling under the armpit gives your opponent more of a chance to escape out the back. When you triangle under the armpit, your opponent's head is at the V (or your crotch) which has space. If you triangle the other way, your opponent's head is resting on your thigh the whole time because you would be at almost a 90 degree angle. Also when your triangle is at the armpit, its at a location that your opponent's hands can get to and try to break the triangle. Triangling at the top keeps the figure four out of reach.

I actually do it both ways depending on what my opponent gives me.

Listen, I agree that Ari Bolden isn't perhaps "the real deal", but a lot of the criticism he gets is from complete noobs just repeating what other people are saying (and their attempts at parodying the names of moves are getting desperate). I dunno what's worse, Ari pretending to know his stuff, or noobs that know less than him pretending to know more.

I was taught that triangling under the armpit gives your opponent more of a chance to escape out the back. When you triangle under the armpit, your opponent's head is at the V (or your crotch) which has space. If you triangle the other way, your opponent's head is resting on your thigh the whole time because you would be at almost a 90 degree angle. Also when your triangle is at the armpit, its at a location that your opponent's hands can get to and try to break the triangle. Triangling at the top keeps the figure four out of reach.

I actually do it both ways depending on what my opponent gives me.

Keep in mind the variation that I'm doing it's going to be difficult for anyone to escape via breaking the triangle because you're holding on to your shin. I know this is a little different than what you guys were talking about but this variation that I'm showing really is secure and thus one of the things that draws me to the position.

Keep in mind the variation that I'm doing it's going to be difficult for anyone to escape via breaking the triangle because you're holding on to your shin. I know this is a little different than what you guys were talking about but this variation that I'm showing really is secure and thus one of the things that draws me to the position.

I was referring to the traditional rear mounted triangle that Codemonkey and SSR were talking about in this video (well I think thats what they were talking about, its possible they were talking about your variation). If so my bad.

You can see the positioning of the triangle under the armpit around the 1:55 mark.

Listen, I agree that Ari Bolden isn't perhaps "the real deal", but a lot of the criticism he gets is from complete noobs just repeating what other people are saying (and their attempts at parodying the names of moves are getting desperate). I dunno what's worse, Ari pretending to know his stuff, or noobs that know less than him pretending to know more.

This is true.

Back