Why the F*** would someone ever, ever do this?

unhommefou

White Belt
Reaction score
So,

After being on this forum for a while, I should have known better, and heeded the warnings that you guy have given out about Submissions101 and Ari Bolden.

However, this little doozy showed up in my Youtube stream today:

Whiskey.

Tango.

Foxtrot.

Why go through the steps necessary for this when one could just RNC the person, or Armbar the person (or various collar/lapel/sleeve chokes if you have the Gi on)?

maybe if ur a dick and wanted to try this on a guy who's rolling for the first time ever just to embarrass him. i think that would be the only situation where someone would try this

I dunno. Better to have a tool and not need it then need it and not have it?

Maybe someone would be so busy trying to guard from the RNC they don't catch you slipping this on?

It's all abut the flying, reverse, inverted, pentagram!

I dunno. Better to have a tool and not need it then need it and not have it?

Maybe someone would be so busy trying to guard from the RNC they don't catch you slipping this on?

well yeah i could see that, i retract my previous post

Trying this and ending up in triangle does not seem like a horrible idea to me. I use some sub attempts just for bait, I could see this working.

I don't think that beef everyone has against Ari are the techniques themselves but just that he tried to dupe people into thinking he was a bb in bjj.

Last edited:
Somewhere Ryan Hall is quietly crying himself to sleep.

I just watched it again....

1) What the hell is choking his opponent? Technical issues aside (such as his hips and knees being in the wrong angle, and his "lock" not being locked), it doesn't look like he has the angle needed to turn it into an effective blood choke, and it seems like it would be very difficult to do an airway choke with the back of your calf (muscle, large surface area).

2) What the hell is preventing his opponent from escaping as he goes for this? The moment he pushes on his opponent's shoulder, why would his opponent not just drive Ari's hook to the mat, sit on it, and start coming out the side?

1) What the hell is choking his opponent? Technical issues aside (such as his hips and knees being in the wrong angle, and his "lock" not being locked), it doesn't look like he has the angle needed to turn it into an effective blood choke, and it seems like it would be very difficult to do an airway choke with the back of your calf (muscle, large surface area).

2) What the hell is preventing his opponent from escaping as he goes for this? The moment he pushes on his opponent's shoulder, why would his opponent not just drive Ari's hook to the mat, sit on it, and start coming out the side?

Exactly what I was thinking. He has both legs and 1 arm free...all he has to do is turn to the side with the arm that's trapped and he has instant escape room.

The basics are always the most practical moves....go for the RNC.
This move just confuses me...

I'm going to finish someone with this choke tonight.

I have actually been playing with this submission and when it is done correctly it is 100% legit. My suggestion would be not to hate on this until you've repped it out, and if then you dont like it or you dont think it's viable let me come over and do it to you.

I dont particularly like the setup that Ari is using here and I have to say, after watching the video I can tell he has not repped this out significantly in order to post an instructional on it. I have been playing with this submission a lot off of the "triple threat" position and I think that it has a lot of viability from there.

I started to video this so that I could post it, but I'm unhappy with how it looks. I will go into class early tonight and rep it out a little and if it doesnt look like trash I'll video it and post it later, if this thread isnt dead.

FYI, it is a great setup for an armbar
also it's not a choke as much as it is a crush/choke. When I do it to people they tell me that they never, ever ever want to be put back into that position.

Ari's right hand is along the guy's neck. This is a trick that is used by some lanky guys, or when triangling someone really small, to take the space out of it. Your #2 is very true, but I'm of the opinion that sub101 is more about collecting techniques than mastering grappling. When you're just adding to your bag of tricks, applicability doesn't really matter as much.

I have actually been playing with this submission and when it is done correctly it is 100% legit. My suggestion would be not to hate on this until you've repped it out, and if then you dont like it or you dont think it's viable let me come over and do it to you.

I dont particularly like the setup that Ari is using here and I have to say, after watching the video I can tell he has not repped this out significantly in order to post an instructional on it. I have been playing with this submission a lot off of the "triple threat" position and I think that it has a lot of viability from there.

I started to video this so that I could post it, but I'm unhappy with how it looks. I will go into class early tonight and rep it out a little and if it doesnt look like trash I'll video it and post it later, if this thread isnt dead.

also it's not a choke as much as it is a crush/choke. When I do it to people they tell me that they never, ever ever want to be put back into that position.

i gotta disagree with you bro.. i think Ari deserves some hate on this one. again he shows he has no clue what he is teaching.

it's also too bad because i think he is a great teacher. just wish he would have spent some time under a legit instructor before throwing stuff like this up.

anyway would love to see your video! the devil is in the details and i bet the position opens up a lot of other opportunities to finish.

I'd be very interested in seeing your take. Whether the technique is high percentage or not is one thing, but it'd be a great contrast of the teaching styles (such as sub101's anaconda vs denis kang's anaconda videos). Given that I've seen one (poor) setup for this, and I've never attempted to play with it myself, would you care to share a setup or two that you've found that don't seem convoluted?

While I generally abhor what Bolden puts out, if Gerbil says it has purpose, I believe it.

I look forward to your video instruction on it and will be interested to see the differences you show from his.

Ari's right hand is along the guy's neck. This is a trick that is used by some lanky guys, or when triangling someone really small, to take the space out of it. Your #2 is very true, but I'm of the opinion that sub101 is more about collecting techniques than mastering grappling. When you're just adding to your bag of tricks, applicability doesn't really matter as much.

Maybe. I suppose I've never done it like that to find out if it works. I'm a lanky guy and use the triangle from back mount, but I don't finish it like that, nor do I set it up like that. I just think it's way better to angle yourself so your hips can finish the job, and so you can fully lock the triangle (which would also take away the space, and be tighter).

I'd be very interested in seeing your take. Whether the technique is high percentage or not is one thing, but it'd be a great contrast of the teaching styles (such as sub101's anaconda vs denis kang's anaconda videos). Given that I've seen one (poor) setup for this, and I've never attempted to play with it myself, would you care to share a setup or two that you've found that don't seem convoluted?

Here's another video. Similar to what Ari is trying to do (except that he triangles the opposite way).

Back