Why study martial arts in the USA for self defense?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by ExplosivAthlete, Aug 5, 2015.

1. ExplosivAthlete

ExplosivAthlete Yellow Belt

Serious question when you can get yourself a gun if you are over 18, why do it for self defense?

I get it if it's for fun, discipline, confidence etc.

Discuss, is it for bragging rights if you ever get in a fight? For non gun places like the club? If you don't want to kill someone there is always bear mace

2. Kick Strickland

Kick Strickland Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Because women love to watch a dude beat the fuck out of another dude. It will get you laid in the usa.

THAT is the real reason any of us train martial arts, don't kid yourself.

Shooting somebody? Will not get you laid.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  3. thebluerider

thebluerider caelgender ftw

you do it for the bromance

4. Kick Strickland

Kick Strickland Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

You do it for the nookie

the nookie

the nookie

5. equus

equus Horse Belt Staff Member Senior Moderator

because some people are terrified of handguns and don't want to carry one.

6. Krav McGraw

Krav McGraw Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

IMO, the only reason to train MA as an adult is for fitness. I guess if you live in a ghetto area like Detroit then it may be helpful but chances are you'd be attacked by multiple dudes who would beat the shit out of you and have weapons anyways.

7. Chaos Spawn

Chaos Spawn Kuiper belt

i told everyone that asked, the same thing that i told myself: that i did it for self defense, exercise, competition, spirituality.

but that wasn't the whole truth.

i did it because i wanted to be like bruce lee and daniel san.

8. Bobby Boulders

Bobby Boulders My Lovin' Is Digi Platinum Member

Am I delusional, or is Waldo in your AV???

TS, mace is a better answer than carrying a gun. Never heard of anyone dying from being maced. Mace is probably a better answer than martial arts, too. Mace + nut shot = you win. Flawless victory.

9. quatin

quatin Green Belt

I'll tell you my opinion. I have a CCW permit, but I stopped carrying it after some research. I then took some sanda/krav training instead.

Guns have a social stigma attached to it. When you kill someone with a gun, it's going to be covered by the media and investigated by the law. Even if you fire a gun in a clear cut self-defense case, you can be on the hook for a lawsuit from the family/Brady Campaign. There's only 2 states that I know of, where there's a state amendment that prohibits such prosecutions.

For some situations, there's no replacement for a firearm. IE Home break-in. However, a significant, if not majority of confrontations, can be settled with superior unarmed combat or non-lethal tools like MACE. IE Road rage, bar fight, domestic situations. Cops quite often do nothing after breaking up a bar fight or at worst a night in the drunk tank. However, if you were carrying a gun during such a fight, it instantly becomes a life/death situation. What happens if the other guy grabs your gun and etc. Therefore, a firearm becomes a handicap in the non-lethal cases of self-defense.

A lot of CCW carriers will tell you, they will just suck it up and do nothing until their life is in imminent danger. In a road rage incident, they'll run away or even let the guy beat them up a little until they feel their life is in danger. This is a legitimate stance on the situation, but it's not my style. I'd rather have the ability to throw the first punch or mace the guy without turning it into a deadly situation.

10. ClubFoot

ClubFoot Therapy can be a good thing; it can be therapeutic Platinum Member

Grabbing a guy and grappling him isn't going to be much fun if HE pulls out a glock.

11. Matt4786

Matt4786 Gold Belt

Guns make for binary solutions: either you shoot or you don't. With something like BJJ, you can theoretically disable a aggressor without doing any harm.

So you can take that cookie and

12. kuromusha

kuromusha LONZO LOOMS 2019

This isn't the Wild West.

13. equus

equus Horse Belt Staff Member Senior Moderator

lol. its that Bones shoop. he has a Waldo sweater on, yes.

and as far as mace, it doesn't work on everyone. some people have no reaction to it. I was sprayed 2 separate times in trainings and it only made me more aggressive and driven to complete the tasks we were assigned to do.

14. TheStruggle

TheStruggle Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Because Murder is 25 to life and maybe Death

15. Cayenne

Cayenne Green Belt

If you want self-defence, learn krav maga. But a lot of people are ignorant and think that stuff like karate, aikido, kung fu, etc, will help them. Even effective martial arts like BJJ or muay thai are dangerous to use on the streets because the techniques don't take in account guns/knives.

16. Krav McGraw

Krav McGraw Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

If you are normal functioning adult the chances of getting physically attacked are astronomically low.

I think training martial arts actually increases one's likelihood of getting into a physical altercation because you're less likely to walk away or pursue other ways of deescalation. Basically, you go into fight mode more quickly.

As far as carrying a gun on you, unless you're moving large sums of money or jewels or something like that, it's ridiculous to pack heat outside your home. I've thought about keeping my handgun in my car but there's really no reason to. Chances are it'll get me into trouble rather than save my life.

17. Cheese

Cheese Banned Banned

Cause they want that Matt Hughes money.

18. Bobby Boulders

Bobby Boulders My Lovin' Is Digi Platinum Member

I would think even if you maced someone and it didn't affect him, that he probably has no idea, generally, if he will be affected or not, bc most people have never been maced. So it will probably at least make him confused enough for a second for you to still pull off that nut shot, or give him enough time to shoot you, assuming he already has is gun.

I've never been maced, but I've been exposed to tear gas, and people said mace is 100x worse. Can't imagine many people not dropping from it, although I've heard of people doing it. Which makes me believe those that were maced and claiming it was worse than tear gas were full of shit. Eighty something people were gassed, every single one was coughing and gasping and leaking mucous. No one just walked it off lol.

19. ExplosivAthlete

ExplosivAthlete Yellow Belt

awesome post, thanks to you and to others for the clarification.

20. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

This.

Most of the time when people say self-defense, it means, how-do-I-kick-the-shit-out-of-joe-blow-who-made-a-pass-at-the-boise-dime-I-wanted-to-shag.

The worst case I got was, I got robbed in the train one night. Guy and his friend threatened that they had a piece. I gave up the bling (fake) and they went on their way. I felt like a bitch at the time, but I wasn't going to risk getting injured or killed for total value of property which was around $30.

Even situations like this is rare.