Why Spironolactone?

One of the problem with usada is that fighters cant get the most effective and commonly used medical treatment like you and I would get.

Not true. The fighter just has to apply for an exemption.

Now ask yourself why, if Cyborg had a valid medical reason to take this stuff, she didn't just do the paperwork?

Now ask yourself why, if Cyborg had a valid medical reason to take this stuff, she didn't just do the paperwork?

This is what I've been thinking as well. Does it take a long time to get the exemption approved? If you have a serious condition and need the medication fast, does it take too long to wait for the decision?

Either way, she could've at least started the process.

I can't answer to that, but she as well as many other fighters, seems to surround them selfs by incompetent doctors and managers who'd suppose to take care of these things. Fighters HATE paperwork!
Regarding an exemption it can be applied for after the fact (retro active) so there should be no problem if the treatment was necessary. Its not like she got popped for steroids, she got popped for a substance that have no effect on elevating performance on healthy atheleats and she took it to recover after the fact, not leading up to a fight after a weight cut or during a training camp.

What part of "Follow the Rules and if you don't, you're a cheater" do you not fucking get?

WOW, thats an simple way to look at the world. Its not that simple my friend. USADA isn't perfect and one should always be critical of their practice just as were critical about fighters.
BTW its legal to apply for an exemption after the fact and here doctor is doing so, is she still braking the rules if it turns out that USADA gives here a retro active exemption?

I can't answer to that, but she as well as many other fighters, seems to surround them selfs by incompetent doctors and managers who'd suppose to take care of these things. Fighters HATE paperwork!
Regarding an exemption it can be applied for after the fact (retro active) so there should be no problem if the treatment was necessary. Its not like she got popped for steroids, she got popped for a substance that have no effect on elevating performance on healthy atheleats and she took it to recover after the fact, not leading up to a fight after a weight cut or during a training camp.

Hating paperwork isn't an excuse for grown ups in any field, mate. Doesn't work with the taxman and it doesn't work with USADA.

And based on her explanation, and looking at the criteria for retroactive approval of a TUE, I think she has minimal chance :

a. Emergency treatment or treatment of an acute medical condition was necessary; or

b. Due to other exceptional circumstances, there was insufficient time or opportunity for the Athlete to submit, or for the TUEC to consider, an application for the TUE prior toSample collection; or

c. It is agreed, by WADA and by the Anti-Doping Organization to whom the application for a retroactive TUE is or would be made, that fairness requires the grant of a retroactive TUE.

Yeah, I'm sure she's having kidney failure in between her powerlifting, sparring and S&C sessions...

It's Occam's Razor: If it looks like a horse, sounds like a horse, eats horse meat, and gets busted for taking horse tranquilizers... its a fucking horse.

(sure shes guilty, just not the way y'all think-

she just wanted a girly clitoris again)

I SUPPORT CYBORG TIL THE END

of 2016.

Shame on me for taking this at all seriously but your post made me curious about the anti-androgen properties of the drug. From what I can tell it wouldn't help with the long terms structural changes of prolonged steroid abuse (I.e. The enlarged clit and bone structure and deepened voice). It really would only help with things like acne, oily skin and abnormal hair growth/loss patterns - and those thing are probably acute problems that are a function of recent or current use

Shame on me for taking this at all seriously but your post made me curious about the anti-androgen properties of the drug. From what I can tell it wouldn't help with the long terms structural changes of prolonged steroid abuse (I.e. The enlarged clit and bone structure and deepened voice). It really would only help with things like acne, oily skin and abnormal hair growth/loss patterns - and those thing are probably acute problems that are a function of recent or current use

aye Gunny.

its permanent- when it comes to clitoral enlargement....

as they say- "that's the rub".

the way the good Lord designed PEDs-

while most neg side effects in men like virulence/impotence gynecomastia are preventable, easily arrested or reversed with medication and mild surgery,

in the gals the gift lasts a lifetime.

bone enlargement,voice changing-completely irreversible.
clitoral reduction- requires risky surgery because it can result in loss of local sensitivity.

There were 5,4,2 samples collected for q2,q3,q4 - where did you get the info about samples tested vs collected?
Usada update weekly. I log weekly. Have a database that compares this week v last week, records the differences.
So we know every week every test was conducted on

Thread link in my sig

Thats why she took it after her steroid cycle duh. to help make herself more womanlike. who knows maybe she was doing trt and wanted to quickly get rid of high testosterone levels.

Females don't go on trt. Females extremely rarely use testosterone, so no "high testosterone levels". Females never need to use anything after a cycle, no PCT or something to "make herself more womanlike"

Yea but wouldn't any traces of steroid evidence come up in the fights she won last year? Was she clean last year?

Was it because of no random tests being done and they were all scheduled? So did she have enough time every single test to get every steroid out of her body or masked?

Yes, both times she's been caught, it's because she was tested at an "inconvenient" time.

1) This time she got caught because she was tested at a random time, not shortly before or after a fight, like all her other UFC tests. She managed to hide the juice itself, but not everything.
2) The last time she got caught, it happened because she was having a terrible time finding opponents, so when she was offered a short-notice fight, she was desperate enough to take a gamble and accept it. She failed to beat the test, and never took another short-notice fight where there'd be testing again.

She is extremely skilled at beating tests if she knows when they're coming.
Unexpected tests at bad times are much tougher.

I don't know if this really was what she failed on, but IF this is the case, here's a few things for y'all to mull over.

IF you wanted to take a diuretic as a masking agent, you wouldn't pick Spironolactone since it's urine diluting properties are quite week relative to other readily available agents.

WIthout having access to her chart, (A full picture of Cyborg's overall medical condition) it is impossible to know whether or not her story rings true.
HOWEVER, I can tell you that Aldactone (spironolactone) is used in a couple of very particular instances,

1) Isolated Systolic Hypertension..... the high number in your blood pressure reading is significantly elevated while having a normal diastolic pressure ( the lower number) eg) 160/80 vs normal which would be around 120/80.
2) Hypokalemia---helps maintain potassium balance
3) Neprhotic Syndrome unresponsive to glucocorticoids or other diuretics
4) Liver disease with ascites.

It is ABSOLUTELY within the realm of possibility that ones kidneys might shut down partially or completely in response to dramatic weight cutting. It's actually the same mechanism that has killed so many wrestlers over the years from dramatic cuts.

Anybody recall how much fucking weight she cut in the week leading up to her last fight?

Anywho, I appreciate that most on this site will just continue their mindless flaming or white knighting without any actual consideration, but, I am also sure there are a few that might appreciate so here you are.

http://evilgsp.blogspot.com/2012/05/spironolactone.html

On its own, spironolactone is only a weak diuretic, but it can be combined with other diuretics to great effect.

Spironolactone’s anti-androgen effects could make it applicable as an anti-masculinizing compound post androgen cycle for female athletes. The androgen/DHT blocking effects could help estrogen starved hair and skin regain some of the feminine qualities often lost with over use of AAS.

If Cyborg was indeed cheating then the backlash and vitriol will most likely be insurmountable. However, if it is disclosed she has a legitimate medical condition and that she needed the medication, no one from this board will make an apology.
That is irrelevant.

- She knew that spironolactone was on the USADA banned list.
- She took it anyhow, WITHOUT notifying USADA and/or applying for a TUE.
- She got popped in an out-of-competition test.
- She gets what USADA deems a suitable punishment

WOW, thats an simple way to look at the world. Its not that simple my friend. USADA isn't perfect and one should always be critical of their practice just as were critical about fighters.
BTW its legal to apply for an exemption after the fact and here doctor is doing so, is she still braking the rules if it turns out that USADA gives here a retro active exemption?

But it really is that simple. Everyone on this earth knows the deal with USADA-that you pretty much can't even take some cold medicines. There is no reason for anyone to think they don't have to tell USADA everything about what they are putting in their bodies. She broke the rules. Yes, it is her right to apply for the TUE after the fact, but not doing it in the first place is highly suspicious. Frankly we all know why she didn't and to say it was legit is putting your head in the sand. If it was legit (for medical reason) don't hide it. She did-pretty much the end of all claim to innocence. She is not surrounded by incompetent doctors and staff. They know exactly what they are doing. They just got caught this time. Like I said...virtually everyone in the world knows USADA is tough so no excuse whatsoever to assume anything if you are an athlete and especially a doctor that has supposedly worked with olympic athletes.

I'm only defending reason against a tide of stupidity.
I have no idea if it was medically necessary or if her usage is illicit, and neither do you.

My GUESS is that she's in renal failure and they are trying to save her kidneys, in which case, fighting in a cage is the least of her worries. A fine/suspension has to come in a distant second place to the fighter's actual health. But, it's just a guess given the amount of time she's proposed between fights, and the drug in question, combined with a good knowledge of said drug and it's usage.

If your body cant take the cut then you shouldn't cut.... derp. Have you ever cut weight... like ever? How fucking stupid are you bro?

Thousands and thousands of fighters across many sports cut weight each and every year. It's successful, until it isn't. You can make a cut 15 times without consequence, until the one time your body decides to pull the plug.

Most sane people would agree that medical need trumps arbitrary athletic commission guidelines;and no, medical marijuana is NEVER a medical need.

It is naive fans like yourself that keeps Justino going and allows her to make excuses. she takes zero responsibility for her actions. Just pathetic
I hope they throw the book at her and she gets the max punishment for this. The deception, excuses after the fact just stinks. She must think people are incredibly stupid and can't see through the charade. USADA will see through all the charade and i would be shocked if she gets exemption after the fact or does not get over a year suspension.

Just like Jones, she needs a wake up call (a suspension more than a year) and someone needs to set her down and talk some sense to her. I don't think she can stop doing PEDs or making her own rules. It is just part of her personality. Taking PEDs, not making weight, deception, lying, fudging scales.. justifies the means to her. It is everyone against her and never her fault ever. I think most that gave her benefit of doubt are sick of all the drama.
Her day of reckoning will come. I don't think this is the last time she will get caught. I think she will risk everything again because it is just part of her nature.

That is irrelevant.

- She knew that spironolactone was on the USADA banned list.
- She took it anyhow, WITHOUT notifying USADA and/or applying for a TUE.
- She got popped in an out-of-competition test.
- She gets what USADA deems a suitable punishment

Except she wasn't aware of this, she was told by her HCP everything was on board.

I'm only defending reason against a tide of stupidity.
I have no idea if it was medically necessary or if her usage is illicit, and neither do you.

My GUESS is that she's in renal failure

Talk about a tide of stupidity. Her medical info are clearly stated on her last go-round. Look it up on Bloody Elbow, dipshit. Lots of diagnoses but ZERO evidence of renal failure or kidney damage. Go make your stupid, unfounded assumptions elsewhere and stop defending roid-gobbling and masking cheaters.

Back