Why so few low kicks among thai guys ?

Leg Kick

White Belt
Reaction score
You know what I mean ? You see that a lot in MMA for example.. but when you watch stadium fights it is actually rare as fuck to see guys punishing the legs of others with low kicks. Now, I read before that there is a certain code among them that low kicks are 'dirty' or something. Is it ?
Or the skill level is so high that this is actually easily blocked so.. you know ?

Typically easily checked. Don't want to continually damage your legs throwing them. There are still low kick finishes tho.

because they dont want to get the anderson silva/corey hill treatment. they still throw kicks to the legs though, its just they aim for the right places (thighs, quads, hip flexors, etc). dont watch mma if you want to see good muay thai technique lol (i cringe every time someone just grabs another guy by the neck and the commentators start talking about how great their muay thai clinch is)

They can be checked and open up opportunities for single legs or outside judo leg trips.

Body kicks score and damage more (and harder to block), so Thai fighters focus on them much more.

I'm just guessing here, but I think the threadstarter is saying that that in stadium fights they don't throw as many low kicks because they've made a deal with their opponent to not throw them so much because: They are more damaging and prevent you from being 100% in your next fight (which in thailand is very soon). And they usually just are a minor point, usually is an even battle and is unusual to KO, so it likely won't be much of a factor for winning the match eventhough your legs are all bruised up.

I'm just guessing here, but I think the threadstarter is saying that that in stadium fights they don't throw as many low kicks because they've made a deal with their opponent to not throw them so much because: They are more damaging and prevent you from being 100% in your next fight (which in thailand is very soon). .

bullshit.

risk reward is to low. easy as that.

dont watch mma if you want to see good muay thai technique lol
But I thought Anderson Silva was the p4p best muay thai fighter ever to compete in martial arts!

:icon_cry2

But I thought Anderson Silva was the p4p best muay thai fighter ever to compete in martial arts!

:icon_cry2

the goat amongst goats

better sweeps than saenchai
better knees than dieselnoi
better clinch than namsaknoi
better head movement than samart

anderson and wanderlei...the muay thai gods!

ive heard that they score less than body kicks.

the goat amongst goats

better sweeps than saenchai
better knees than dieselnoi
better clinch than namsaknoi
better head movement than samart

anderson and wanderlei...the muay thai gods!
:icon_lol:

You know Samart Payakaroon respects the hands of Wanderlei Silva, Joe
ive heard that they score less than body kicks.
That's correct, although there are no real "points" (low kick 1 point, body kick 2 etc) in muay thai as there are in say, wrestling or jiu-jitsu. But they are looked upon more favorably by thai judges for sure.

Last edited:
Muay thai scoring is flawed

Last edited:
It is because of how the fights are scored. Basically because of body kicks scoring higher combined with the fact kicks to the arm still score while checked leg kicks do not

It is because of how the fights are scored. Basically because of body kicks scoring higher combined with the fact kicks to the arm still score while checked leg kicks do not

I never understood how people consider a kick to the arm to be blocked. Feel free to continously block kicks with your arms and see how you will feel after a while.

I never understood how people consider a kick to the arm to be blocked. Feel free to continously block kicks with your arms and see how you will feel after a while.

Stupid k-1 scoring is why! It is they same reason they think a glancing jab is worth more than a full power body kick.

Back