Why so confident that Conor beats Aldo, Mendes and Edgar ?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Coffee79, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Coffee79

Coffee79 Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I'm impressed so far with Conor's performances in the UFC, but he really hasn't fought the top level fighters.

I have no issues with him fighting Aldo because a champion shouldn't care who he fights. But in terms of tested ability, what evidence is there that Conor should be the favorite over the likes of even Mendes or Edgar ?

2. Sega Saturn**

Sega Saturn** Yellow Belt

I think he can stop him. Getting dropped by the leg kicks didn't make a good case for him but he seems like the type of guy who will correct that and be ready when he fights Aldo. Hard one to call but I'm gonna stay on the McGregor hype train. I think he beats them all but Edgar and that's a tossup for me.

3. I Hate You

I Hate You _________________

Why not? We're fans, we support the guy and believe he will win. That's what fanatics do.

4. iboufring**

iboufring** Green Belt

Conor is like cub swanson with a bigger mouth

5. BobSappIsGOAT

BobSappIsGOAT White Belt

You realize he has annihilated everyone he's fought in ufc thus far. Poirier was #6 (never been knocked out) and got demolished in under one round. Who has Edgar aldo or Pettis demolished in top 10 lately?

6. Gatts

Gatts Green Belt

'd say.....A mixture of hangers-on to that Conor-GOAT thing, a few repeating what the man said, and some genuinely have not seen someone with that charisma, style and finishing in quite some time.

He hasn't lost a round or looked even in in slight trouble yet.
    As for those fight's I've no clue.

7. The Accuser

The Accuser Yellow Card Yellow Card

Edgar definitely beats him. Aldo as well.

8. BSquared

BSquared Blue Belt

It's not his skill level that makes me believe in him. It's his intensity, self belief, and the slight bit of madness behind his eyes.

9. wartor

wartor Thug #22 Belt

He HAS fought top level fighters, RESPECT. He has not fought any top level wrestlers. So it's a big and fair question mark.

10. Kirin

Kirin Death Operator Platinum Member

That's odd...I vividly recall swanson struggling with siver and poirier. How did mc-g do against the same two opponents?

11. Viperhands

Viperhands White Belt

Demolishing lower level talent shouldn't count for near as much as beating upper level talent.

But this is the UFC, where Poirier can work his way up to #6 based on those wins...increasing the amount of credit a guy gets for beating him. :icon_lol:

12. RoyJonesJr

RoyJonesJr Carti Season

And I recall Alex tagged by Shogun alot while Jones gave Shogun hell. I guess Alex would also get mauled by Jones. Connor had the perfect style for Siver, and the ufc knew this. A slow (out of prime) predictable striker. When they could have set up Frankie or Chad a long time ago

13. h0lydiver

h0lydiver Purple Belt

im now pretty convinced based on what I've seen that conor would beat cub pretty badly, but let's not get ahead of ourselves- edgar would've beaten the stew outta siver the same way conor did (as an example), don't forget that (not trying to downgrade any of conor's wins here) some fighters absolutely destroy anyone below their level. We are sure conor does that at this point, but there will still be some doubt until we see him get the belt that "he's on another level". Edgar is a decent example of someone who fights at the level of his opponent in some fights and might not destroy someone even though his level is actually much higher. I have no idea what causes that effect, but I think it's the ability to do fight stopping damage at any one point in time (ie. A. silva). Conor def has that.

14. BigDaddyBach

BigDaddyBach Banned Banned

Jon Jones is like Stefan Struve only fighting at LHW.

Michael Jordan is like Richard Jefferson with a better jump shot.

15. BigDaddyBach

BigDaddyBach Banned Banned

Another fallacy.

Siver did far better than is given credit and much better than the highly touted Poirier. He didn't get involved in the mind games, he tried (albeit failed) for TD's, he has one of the better MMA wrestling games at FW (note I didn't say amateur wrestling), he quickly backed away when he was in danger, tried to keep his distance, didn;t get in an emotional slugfest and most importantly offered a far more unorthodox and complex striking game than anyone in the top 10. The rest of the top 10 fighters are plod forward Muay Thai guys and McGregor SHREDS those that employ that striking offense.

Siver has always held his own in the stand up department against everyone he has faced, sure he has been clipped, rocked, wobbled, put out but never, I mean never, completely and totally outclassed like he was last night. Still, it is better to be outclassed in the 2nd than completely destroyed in the first. I would not be surprised if time reveals that Siver did better than nearly all of McGregor's other opponent.

McGregor is just that good. Get with the program or keep living in fantasy land. It's the same with Jon Jones - I dislike the dude but he is simply the best.

16. Mma Adiction

Mma Adiction Brown Belt

None, but he deserves his shot the way frankie and chad had it

17. bad seed

bad seed Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Edgar is the toughest of those style-wise for Conor. He EASILY destroys Mendes. EASILY.

Aldo will be a hard battle, but Conor will prevail. Edgar can definitely pose some problems.

18. Mattitude V1

Mattitude V1 WAR CONDIT

That's a terrible comparison. Gustafsson got hit by Shogun in winning and got hit by Jones in losing. What does one have to do with the other? If anything it makes the idea of a SUPER DUPER CHAMPION who will kill anyone who gets hit seem really silly.

19. ocfightfan

ocfightfan Gold Belt

Other than him looking really good against the guys he's faced there isn't any. But so what. It's not like Edgar fought all the top featherweights to get his shot and Mendes second run was not the craziest one either. Right now it's about making the best fight available. All the other worthy contenders have lost recently.

20. morose

morose Purple Belt

lol wtf, based on what?