Why should I eat breakfast as opposed to a weight gainer and multivitamin?

C

christiancore

my goal is to gain weight and muscle. why should i eat breakfast and not just drink a healthy weight gainer shake along with my Maximum Greens? what am i missing out on? i'm a big fan of drinks/shakes.

edit - what is your favorite meal replacement shake?

one thing i just noticed in the recipe thread - all the mixing of oats and eggs and fruit and protein.

i usually put most of this into my shake - does that count?

Food first my friend....shakes if you dont have time

If you're not the type that can eat a meal when you get up then a shake is probably the way to go.

What the fuck is wrong with you? Eat your god damn breakfast. Get up earlier if need be, it's not like it's difficult.

A shake is way better than skipping breakfast. I'd use something like muscle milk and a greens powder. Thats basically all of the elements of a full meal, without actually being a full meal.

Edit: Obviously it isn't the same as eating, but it is far superior to not eating or delaying your eating by an hour or two.

Granola (organic section at Kroger), fiber one, mega green, multi vitamin.

Man that sounds kind of weird, but it works for me. Kind of light-weight, but then again I turn around and eat a snack a few hours later. Then lunch. I don't normally supplement weight gainer until around the time I train, normally after. Which is in the evening.

I've done the weightgainer in the morning, usually just for filler when I don't have time or out of food. I prefer to use the shakes more strategically, if I use them at all.

I suggest food, not huge amounts. Space your intake out over the day. Try to get something good on your stomach about 45 minutes before your workout. Then have a shake handy for post-workout if you can't get to a GOOD meal soon. I'm not a worshipper of protein shakes like some are, but they do serve a purpose. To suppliment.

That is not as scientific as you will find on these boards. I personally, and most normal people, don't have time to be scientific and just have to manage against other priorities.

What the fuck is wrong with you? Eat your god damn breakfast. Get up earlier if need be, it's not like it's difficult.

it's not so much the time. i usually have plenty of time. i'm really never hungry in the morning. i figure it would be easier to drink a shake b/c w/o an appetite i never know what i want and nothing sounds good.

me breakfast consists of coffee and forced waffles.

I love eating my breakfast but I run into problems sometimes too. I might not be in the mood at all to eat anything or rushing. So instead of not eating at all...I def drink up a hefty protein shake. Throw some spinach in there...maybe some PB and some eggs.

used to have the same problem, but found that after a while my body got used to being given food when I woke up

if you've got no hunger in the morning just force out a solid deuce the moment you get up

should clear some room, worked for me

nothing can replace actual food homie.....all these mofo's in the gym looking for quick fixes are stoo-ped, swallowing a dozen pills and washin em down with numerous shakes and god knows what else. look at warriors from back in the day, did they have all these crazy ass supplements? there are so many different types of foods you can eat to gain energy and the nutrients you need to work out 5-6 days a week. I guess it all depends on what you want.....? I train and eat to increase my cardiovascular first and strength second....I train and eat to fight....so I don't eat any bullshit or take stuff that might slow me down if i stopped taking it. if you are training and eating to be a pro bodybuilder then that's different......it all depends on what you wanna get from your training.

supps i take are:

Omega 3 - 2 capsules daily
1 a day multivitamins &....
Greens 2-twice daily.

I only have 1 protein shake daily, immediately after my workout. for breakfast i eat egg whites & cottage cheese.

Get eggs, a george foremen grill with a skillet, sausages and pitta bread

A good breakfast in sub 10 min

it's not so much the time. i usually have plenty of time. i'm really never hungry in the morning. i figure it would be easier to drink a shake b/c w/o an appetite i never know what i want and nothing sounds good.

You need to train more

I wake up sometimes through hunger (which is fucking annoying tbh).

nothing can replace actual food homie.....all these mofo's in the gym looking for quick fixes are stoo-ped, swallowing a dozen pills and washin em down with numerous shakes and god knows what else. look at warriors from back in the day, did they have all these crazy ass supplements? there are so many different types of foods you can eat to gain energy and the nutrients you need to work out 5-6 days a week. I guess it all depends on what you want.....? I train and eat to increase my cardiovascular first and strength second....I train and eat to fight....so I don't eat any bullshit or take stuff that might slow me down if i stopped taking it. if you are training and eating to be a pro bodybuilder then that's different......it all depends on what you wanna get from your training.

supps i take are:

Omega 3 - 2 capsules daily
1 a day multivitamins &....
Greens 2-twice daily.

I only have 1 protein shake daily, immediately after my workout. for breakfast i eat egg whites & cottage cheese.

Whats wrong with the yolk?

Also your breakfast amount is making me hungry

Nothing sounds good?

Sorry, get used to this if you want to gain muscle.

Egg whites, oat meal, chicken breast/turkey breast/salmon, broccali.

Repeat every morning for a week, you'll start to wake up famished and wonder how in the hell you ever got through the day on coffee and waffles.

That's fucking awful. What the fuck? Scramble up some eggs with chopped greens and have a bowl of oats (skim milk) with a banana. Takes 10 goddamn minutes unless you've got teh downz.

Coffee and waffles for gaining strength and muscle? Don't be retarded.

I love eating my breakfast but I run into problems sometimes too. I might not be in the mood at all to eat anything or rushing. So instead of not eating at all...I def drink up a hefty protein shake. Throw some spinach in there...maybe some PB and some eggs.

This is the answer if you can't force down food.

I throw a variety of fruits, some greens+, some milk, some yogurt and MM in a blender and slug it down for breakfast every morning.

20 grams Oatmeal/Porridge
2 x scoops whey protein
1 x banana
mixed berries
1 cup water

blend all . tasty.

2-4 Fish Oil
1 x Multivitamin

If you add a half cup of oats to your shake (as a few have mentioned), it IS "real food." This is assuming you are eating frequently and relatively cleanly. If a half cup of oats and a scoop of Wieder chowbloat is all you have until 3 pm, I'd say you need more food.

Do you eat immediately upon waking? Wait 20 minutes first, it helps some people.

Most people that complain about getting sick when they eat breakfast is because they don't eat breakfast, and when they do they skarf down shit.

Do you eat immediately upon waking? Wait 20 minutes first, it helps some people.

Most people that complain about getting sick when they eat breakfast is because they don't eat breakfast, and when they do they skarf down shit.

no, can't. usually after i take a shower and get going, then i get hungry. i've tried to get in the habit of going straight to the fridge and at least drinking 8 oz of V8.

If you add a half cup of oats to your shake (as a few have mentioned), it IS "real food." This is assuming you are eating frequently and relatively cleanly. If a half cup of oats and a scoop of Wieder chowbloat is all you have until 3 pm, I'd say you need more food.

i'll do that.

Nothing sounds good?

Sorry, get used to this if you want to gain muscle.

Egg whites, oat meal, chicken breast/turkey breast/salmon, broccali.

Repeat every morning for a week, you'll start to wake up famished and wonder how in the hell you ever got through the day on coffee and waffles.

i'll force it for a week. thanks. the only protein i ever have for breakfast is eggs. i'll try some chicken.

thanks for the advice guys.

Back