Why select referee and judges weeks in advance of fight?

mma_genius

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I just read that the ref and judges for the Dodson/Mouse fight had been selected, which got me to thinking, why? The commissions never cave when a fighter has a problem with their ref/judge assignments do they?

Why would they be selected and announced weeks before the fight? Wouldn't it be better to draw them out of a hat on fight night? Of course have the required number of judges and refs on hand, but at a meeting an hour before fight time just select their assignments from a hat.

You could have several refs on hand who are experienced to draw from for title or main event fights, and you could have several other refs to draw from who do prelims, etc.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Because you need to pay those refs and judges.

Yes, let all the referees go to one state or country, as if there aren't any other MMA or combat sport leagues in other states/countries.

Yes, let all the referees go to one state or country, as if there aren't any other MMA or combat sport leagues in other states/countries.

Imagine if they were all on the same plane! And that plane crashed! The sport of MMA would be no more.

Read what I wrote (and has not been edited) - "Of course have the required number of judges and refs on hand, but at a meeting an hour before fight time just select their assignments from a hat."

Read what I wrote (and has not been edited) - "Of course have the required number of judges and refs on hand, but at a meeting an hour before fight time just select their assignments from a hat."

That's a tall order for most here

Wouldn't it be better to draw them out of a hat on fight night? Of course have the required number of judges and refs on hand, but at a meeting an hour before fight time just select their assignments from a hat.

Not really sure why this is better than announcing them beforehand.

Presumably, there's fight-specific paperwork that needs to be filled out before the fight, and the ref and judges need to be known then.

Are you suggesting there's some kind of foul play involved in having judges selected early? Why?

Are you suggesting there's some kind of foul play involved in having judges selected early? Why?
For the multiple questionable decisions that plague the sport.?

Selecting them in advance lets the fight fixers know who to come to for a specific fight.

To help the third party so they know which one to contact

Nah

I blame Kimbo/Shamrock for all these idiotic insinuations of fight fixing filling these forums the past two months.

Back